You have to put your hand up

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Ryan Burton was the chosen one…turns out he was not even close to that sort of player once he wasn't playing next to Luke Hodge anymore!
Still remember watching when there was a stoppage on our forward flank and Hodge screams out to Burton who was loose around the wing in a classic kick behind play role. Hodge shouts out and Burton turns around, Hodge motions with his hand like he's assisting someone reverse parking a truck telling Burton to come back further, and then stop.

Literally 10 seconds later there's a quick kick out of the stoppage that goes straight to Burton, didn't even have to move.

Hodge did that repeatedly.

The list of things i was wrong about this year is too long to post, so will just pick the biggest. The main one was i thought out absolute best case scenario/ceiling would have been more wins than last year but still not a chance at contending for finals.

I said we would get neither Barrass nor Battle, or just one at best.

ECSTATIC to be proven wrong.

All that said, deals, to whatever extent they need to be done, still need to be done.
Battle is ours the deal is already done. They just wait till free agency period and it will be done.

I’ve got it wrong plenty. Saw issy smith debut and thought he would never make it. Legs were so thin he looked like he was floating. I came out this year after the giants loss with some questionable comments. Got put in my place on this forum. Rightly so. I’ve got no idea it turns out. What a ride this season has been!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hand up I was gutted when we missed McKay… watching him crab it up the last couple months was great
Likewise.
Then I saw him play against swans and being completely unable to execute the handball so many times

not sure if wrong, kind of feels it:

I occasionally play the track 'Bound for Glory' by Angry Anderson, and I sing along, and I love it. Life is worth living.

Nothing wrong with that. Bound for Glory and Suddenly are absolute bangers.

Does gameday venting count? I posted this in the 1st half of the round 4 Collingwood game :$
Scrimshaw is another one in the Impey category. Wouldn't get a game in a good team
Got a couple of likes though

I’ve got it wrong plenty. Saw issy smith debut and thought he would never make it. Legs were so thin he looked like he was floating!
I'm not sure if it was his debut but I saw him down in Tassie in 2011 and thought the same. I don't feel like I've made too many 'make it or not' calls that were a real failure but this was definitely one.

Always thought the club had done the right thing by easing Clarkson out the door when they did. I was of the view then, and am still of the view now, that the game has gone by Clarkson, just like it did for other long tenured coaches. Thought Sam was the right man for the job of turning around Hawthorn's fortunes, but I did admit that my belief was shaken with the start to the season that we had.

I was wrong about Nash - I thought he was the worst player (alongside Jack Madgen) that I had ever seen. In my defence he was absolutely terrible at that time, but I also didn't think a move to the midfield was going to change too much. A few games into that experiment you could see positive results though.

Frost was a liability to me last season. But this season he has been awesome.

I feel vindicated about my opinion on Clarko being done and about our gameplan being outdated years ago. A forum favourite that no longer posts and I were copping lots of heat and some nuffy-like abuse from the masses early on for suggesting as much, with theiofseed seeing the light shortly after and joining the revolution too.

So I thought we made the right call in appointing Mitchell early. I thought he was the one.

But the start of this season had me thinking that he was going to struggle to see out his contract and that he had (vastly) overestimated our squad.

Glad that has been put to bed now and I can go back to feeling smug about it all.

I thought Connor Nash was a spud (just never posted it but thought it.) Boy was I wrong.

Go you Irish Potato against the Doggies on Friday!
I pride myself on the assessment of a player's potential, but I have admitted in the past that I saw very little in Connor Nash. I'm delighted every time he proves me wrong :)

I thought Ryan Burton was the chosen one…turns out he was not even close to that sort of player once he wasn't playing next to Luke Hodge anymore!
Living in Adelaide, I'd seen Ryan's father Craig, a classy player, and heard rave reviews about his son Ryan. Didn't see a lot of him but wasn't as enamored as others. However, the rave reviews continued into the draft and when we picked him I was pleased with the selection. Nothing I have seen since lived up to the reputation, neither at Hawthorn nor Port Adelaide.

I wasn't all that upset when we traded him, and I rarely think of him as a former Hawk.

Nothing I have seen since lived up to the reputation, neither at Hawthorn nor Port Adelaide.

There was a run of games in 2018 where he looked like he could be anything. Seems that was an outlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to put your hand up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back