You predict the top 10 for the 2005 NAB Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see Essendon taking one of Kennedy, Clark or Ryder if they're still there. I can see us taking Jones or Swallow. I can't see us taking Oakley-Nicholls at #7. Midfield speed is no longer our biggest problem. Midfield and key defensive strength is.

philhawk said:
Austin Lucy then? Or Marcus Drum?
Nah, they'll probably go with one out Ryder/Clark/Swallow/Jones.

With Murphy, Hurn, Ellis and Kennedy all near certainties to go in the first 6 picks, 2 of those 4 players should still be on the board for them to choose from.

#1 - Carlton: Marc Murphy
#2 - Collingwood: Xavier Ellis
#3 - Hawthorn: Josh Kennedy
#4 - Carlton: Shannon Hurn
#5 - Collingwood: Patrick Ryder
#6 - Hawthorn: Mitch Clark
#7 - Essendon: Andrew Swallow
#8 - Richmond: Cleve Hughes
#9 - Brisbane: Austin Lucy
#10 - Fremantle: Nathan Jones

I have Dowler going at #11 to Western now. Cleve Hughes looked like he'd fall to that spot, but with Dowler's injuries, I think that will change. Dowler won't fall much past #11 though, he's still too talented, and it isn't a massive injury, so he should be healthy sometime next season.

I previously had Dowler at #6, Clark at #8 and Hughes at #11, so that's been shuffled a bit now.

vinnie_vegas69 said:

As a Hawk fan, that's exactly how I want it to go. We will pick up KPP at #3 and possibly #6, and then get midfielders with 14, 18 and 22.

Lucy been mentioned as a top 10 pick but I havent seen much of his footy. Can anyone give me a run down on his strengths and weaknesses (apart from his kicking which I have picked up on) and if there proof in the pudding if he'll go to the lions? Footydraft has yet to put anything up on him so do you members know anything?

ozdog198 said:
Lucy been mentioned as a top 10 pick but I havent seen much of his footy. Can anyone give me a run down on his strengths and weaknesses (apart from his kicking which I have picked up on) and if there proof in the pudding if he'll go to the lions? Footydraft has yet to put anything up on him so do you members know anything?
He's pretty generally regarded as the top tall pure defender in the draft - by that I mean that someone like a Kennedy or Ryder may end up as a defender, but that's not their position right now.

Seeing as he's from Queensland, Brisbane have a desperate need for some young tall defenders, and that's right around the are which he should start getting a look at, all the pieces seem to fit with him going to Brisbane.

Kinda like a few years back when St Kilda got Raphael Clarke. All the pieces just seemed to fit.

missionpossible said:
Pick 4. Carlton - Richard Douglas - carton can not resist him after his impressive showing at draft camp. Think of taking lucy but take a punt on him being available later.

What did he do well at the draft? I have not seen times published for this guy. Can you provide any detail?

windows said:
What did he do well at the draft? I have not seen times published for this guy. Can you provide any detail?

Basically I am lead to beleive that he came 11th in the 20m, 11th in the standing verticle jump and about 15th in the beep test and sixth in the agility run.

I know i didnt originally list him in my top ten but could anyone see Sheedy nabbing Varcoe at 7?

He does like aboriginal players but after his acquisition of cole do you see it happening?

MJ101 said:
I know i didnt originally list him in my top ten but could anyone see Sheedy nabbing Varcoe at 7?

He does like aboriginal players but after his acquisition of cole do you see it happening?

Varcoe is interesting but I can not see how you can pick someone in the top ten based on his under 16 form.

I have seen him play once and he was exceptionally clean with his hand and looked as though he has never fumbled a ball in his life. Played as an outside receiver that day (he was floating between wing and HFF) but when he had to get the ball or put his body on the line he did. Runs forward of the ball a lot but the is where a receiver needs to be.

On his pace he certainlly looked quick but I probably sat there going this boy isn't as quick as he is meant to be. Pencil thin with go go gadget arms.

The big negative was his kicking which was terrible to put it nicely. I am assuming that his kicking is a lot better than he showed on that day as you don't get picked for SANFL football at 17 if you cant kick.

If I had to choose between him and Oakley-Nicholls I'd take varcoe because he gets to where the ball is which means eventually it falls his way, but I would want a doctors opinion on his foot and examples of sportsmen who have gotten over such an injury.

PS if anyone wants to see the game they can buy it from ABC in SA for $44. (Eagles v Centrals ANZAC day game 2005), the week before he got injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Powers manager said:
Please be joking. I've heard young Xavier Ellis isn't to shabby. If that was a mistake than I'll get over it but if it wasn't than i'd save yourself the embarresment of puting them in your order.

u just stick to thinking footy draft is gospel and dont bother having an opinion urself ;) :eek:

mark my words ellis will slide, just how much is the question??

LukeHodge15 said:
u just stick to thinking footy draft is gospel and dont bother having an opinion urself ;) :eek:

I have an opinion myself, and I happen to rank Ellis at #1 overall.

I don't know why you dislike him so much, but just because you don't like him doesn't mean he's going to fall out of the top 10.

LukeHodge15 said:

Ellis may slide to 3 mate. Brace yourself, coz he may well be at Hawthorn next year...

11. W. Bulldogs - Cleve Hughes - The Dogs love their SA boys and Hughes would be an excellent snare at 11. Great CHF with excellent hands. Bring his teammates into the game with his clever work at ground level and touch of class. ??? on how much improvement he has left, but this kid's shown he has what it takes with stirling performance for Norwood reserves. With empty space for CHF, the Bulldogs would lick their lips to have either Hughes, Clarke, Dowler or Ryder avaliable with this pick.

I like what i hear... :thumbsu:

LukeHodge15 said:

Its amazing, only 2 months ago he was the number one player you wanted.

vinnie_vegas69 said:

I have Dowler going at #11 to Western now. Cleve Hughes looked like he'd fall to that spot, but with Dowler's injuries, I think that will change. Dowler won't fall much past #11 though, he's still too talented, and it isn't a massive injury, so he should be healthy sometime next season.

I previously had Dowler at #6, Clark at #8 and Hughes at #11, so that's been shuffled a bit now.

As a carlton fan id be very happy with murphy and hurn.

LukeHodge15 you really do share alot of hate for Ellis, has he personally done something to you because every post about Ellis its absoulute pay out time

1. Carlton - Marc Murphy (Oakleigh Chargers)
2. C'Wood - Xavier Ellis (Gippsland Power)
3. Hawthorn - Josh Kennedy (East Fremantle)
4. Carlton - Patrick Ryder (East Fremantle)
5. C'Wood - Shannon Hurn (Central Districts)
6. Hawthorn - Mitchell Clark (East Fremantle)
7. Essendon - Andrew Swallow (East Fremantle)
8. Richmond - Cleve Hughes (Norwood)
9. Brisbane - Paul Bower (Northern Bombers)
10. Fremantle - Darren Pheiffer (Norwood)

thoughts?

dutchy12 said:
LukeHodge15 you really do share alot of hate for Ellis, has he personally done something to you because every post about Ellis its absoulute pay out time

dont have any hate towards young xavier at all, just dont rank him as high as a lot of other people thats all. just have big question marks over aspects of his game and wether he can make it in the AFL. good luck to him and i hope he rubs my nose in it, wont be the first time i have been wrong. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

You predict the top 10 for the 2005 NAB Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back