Opinion Young equal or not equal Jones?

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_2912.jpg

I want Jones back. Full stop. Who gives a f*** that he refused vaccination. we trained him to be an effective back man and now we are gifting him to the club that didn’t want him. Very dumb.

He's NOT coming back. Full stop!

I think Young has a good career ahead of him.
And I think he actually plays like Jones . Does some awesome marks and wins crucial one on ones but then will have a brain fade. But I think overall he is getting better at understanding his limitations and isn’t biting off more then he can chew something Jones did not learn.

Would easily take Jones at this stage. for all of Jones weaknesses, he would also have these games where you'd think he was capable of an all australian jersey. Young has scope for improvement, but still a little way off.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Liam the beast Jones clearly the more talented player. His marking/defending was incredible in a teague team he was asked to defend one on one with no upfield pressure.

Young is much smarter and his transition going forward much more reliable. His marking is hit and miss, but in a team with mclovin and marchbank it wont be as big a deal. He age suggests he will improve. Regardless Jones gone and Young is a solid long term replacement.

Injury probably forced him to play a role above original plans (Think he was our 1 key tall lefr when Weitering went down) so is probably a little worn out, but he has performed admirably in the circumstance and think he will be better for it.

Long term he should be a great pillar.

In pure quantitative terms, it depends on what we get in compensation for Jones. :p Let's face it, if we had have had Jones at our disposal we probably would have made the finals regardless of what happens next week. The AFL better come to the party.

I would rather take Young into a final than Jones. Jones is a turnover merchant. Young has come from the clouds. Increasing his physicality and mark/spoil decision making will determine his permancy at fullback. He just needs more AC/DC on his pregame playlist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m 100% Team Young.

Jones was a amazing physical specimen so won contests and did spectacular things… BUT… dumb as a box of rocks, reckless, Clanger merchant who took himself out of position frequently and was just as dangerous to team mates as he was to opposition.

Weiters, Young as 1-2 is great, if we can get McLovin or Marchy on the park to intercep.

I’m 100% Team Young.

Jones was a amazing physical specimen so won contests and did spectacular things… BUT… dumb as a box of rocks, reckless, Clanger merchant who took himself out of position frequently and was just as dangerous to team mates as he was to opposition.

Weiters, Young as 1-2 is great, if we can get McLovin or Marchy on the park to intercep.
Young long term but Jones would've been much better in last nights scenario … has the ability to kill contests which was required instead of headbutts solid punches were what we needed lol

Young long term but Jones would've been much better in last nights scenario … has the ability to kill contests which was required instead of headbutts solid punches were what we needed lol

Young was incredible last night, easily in your top three players if not higher.

He has had a really solid season, its about time he was given a solid run of games. Few things infuriated me more than Young having one bad game and never being seen again for the season, while we gifted guys like Cordy and Gardner games (Gardner has improved this year but you’d rather Young any day of the week). He still has his moments but they are certainly less frequent as he gains confidence. I thought his biggest issue would be that he might be the worst kick in the league but this is litigated by Docherty standing 15 metres away from him at all times to provide an easy option.

If this is his level, then he is a really solid foil for Weitering. He is still only 23yo and just 42 games in so could easily take another step up.

I’m 100% Team Young.

Young was incredible last night, easily in your top three players if not higher.

He has had a really solid season, its about time he was given a solid run of games. Few things infuriated me more than Young having one bad game and never being seen again for the season, while we gifted guys like Cordy and Gardner games (Gardner has improved this year but you’d rather Young any day of the week). He still has his moments but they are certainly less frequent as he gains confidence. I thought his biggest issue would be that he might be the worst kick in the league but this is litigated by Docherty standing 15 metres away from him at all times to provide an easy option.

If this is his level, then he is a really solid foil for Weitering. He is still only 23yo and just 42 games in so could easily take another step up.
I think Young is doing just fine. As mentioned, only 42 games, and not a lot of continuity in those either. Weitering at 40 games had plenty of fair criticisms about his game, but that's because young key position players just take time to perfect. Young has plenty of weapons already at his disposal. As Faz said, a backline of him, Weiters and McGovern/Marchbank will very hard to play against. That said, I'm also interested to see how Sam Durdin develops. Could be an interesting prospect as well.

Gee at the same age the comparison isn’t even close. I think Young will just get better and better.

A great measure for assessing defenders is their combined intercepts and one percenters. It always pushes the best defenders to the top of the tree.

Young is NUMBER ONE in the afl for that this season. A phenomenal effort. What a base to build on. He has a few things to clean up like getting back from the man on the mark and holding his ground better in one v ones. But they’re small issues.

A future AA defender for sure in my view. Something Liam never achieved. I don’t understand how the Dogs didn’t give him a go and let him go so easily. With their backline. Bewildering. Confusing as hell.

Gee at the same age the comparison isn’t even close. I think Young will just get better and better.

A great measure for assessing defenders is their combined intercepts and one percenters. It always pushes the best defenders to the top of the tree.

Young is NUMBER ONE in the afl for that this season. A phenomenal effort. What a base to build on. He has a few things to clean up like getting back from the man on the mark and holding his ground better in one v ones. But they’re small issues.

A future AA defender for sure in my view. Something Liam never achieved. I don’t understand how the Dogs didn’t give him a go and let him go so easily. With their backline. Bewildering. Confusing as hell.

I’d be comparing for this flag window which is the important thing more than age.

I wasn’t a big fan of Jones due to some kicking howlers and poor positioning. Then I’d love Jones when his kamikaze style came off.

Young also seems to polarise a bit on form. I can’t explain away the punching everything bit that he did when he could just mark. He drops a few from concentration errors or panic errors. Then like Jones, he plays amazing.

I hope you are right on Young. I think we have lost nothing in switching from Jones on balance. I just don’t see Young as incredibly safe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back