Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Big reason why i hate footy media - saad has a great game, now he is the best hbf in the league but hadnt really been mentioned until now....prety s**t reporting isnt it....

If he had an ok game, he wouldnt even be mentioned this week as being in the top 3 hbfs

they just talk s**t with a short memory, gold fish like.

If someone is doing an AA team weekly, then that has more weight than someone doing it at the end of the year

So true any Carlton supporter that's been watching Saad this year knows how good he is. Has come on hard from his first year but he's not Han Solo there. This coaching group has and continues to grow this group.

Ratts won a BnF competing against Kernahan, Bradley, Silvagni, Koutafides, Diesel, Sexton, Christou etc etc etc

But apparently, Cripps is miles better

Ratts was a great player but was never considered a top 5 player in the comp. Cripps has 2-3 seasons where he has and his career isn't done yet.

Here’s a question- why do never see Weiters take a mark from a kick in around the 50?
Or is it something that happens regularly & I just haven’t registered it
I think they want to use him and Young as a rebound guards incase there is a turnover, but it would be nice to see Weiters and Young used in the kick ins a little more further up the ground…

I think they want to use him and Young as a rebound guards incase there is a turnover, but it would be nice to see Weiters and Young used in the kick ins a little more further up the ground…

I prefer Newman kicking out over Doc, as it seems Newman can effectively hit short or longer targets, where Doc just seems to kick it long to congested numbers

Ratts was a great player but was never considered a top 5 player in the comp. Cripps has 2-3 seasons where he has and his career isn't done yet.
Not wading into this but it must be said that IMO Ratts probably the most underrated (by media/“experts” etc) player ever.
Everyone else was put on a pedestal & in bright shiny lights- Ratts was just at the bottom of the pack getting it done all day/every time for yrs on end.

When he’s focused, there’s an inevitable shocker or 2 that cost goals

its what really good kicks do though, they take the tough options and when they work they are worth their weight in gold but inevitably, when they dont work they can cost you big time. Just need to limit the bad kicks when taking those options, which i think he has this year.

on the flip side, you dont want poor kickers to take the tough option too often otherwise we're ****ed 🤣

its what really good kicks do though, they take the tough options and when they work they are worth their weight in gold but inevitably, when they dont work they can cost you big time. Just need to limit the bad kicks when taking those options, which i think he has this year.

on the flip side, you dont want poor kickers to take the tough option too often otherwise we're *ed 🤣
I reckon Newman's bad ones aren't when he's going for the hard kick, or under pressure.
He's really cut the shockers out of his game though as the year has gone on, Geelong game aside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer Newman kicking out over Doc, as it seems Newman can effectively hit short or longer targets, where Doc just seems to kick it long to congested numbers
Probably, not much between the two both are a little prone to the odd turnover but if i was to pick someone I’d like to see McGovern given more of an opportunity he and Saad are our best kicks down back…

McGovern i think has the skill and nous to pull the trigger and hit some good areas/targets for us…

Probably, not much between the two both are a little prone to the odd turnover but if i was to pick someone I’d like to see McGovern given more of an opportunity he and Saad are our best kicks down back…

McGovern i think has the skill and nous to pull the trigger and hit some good areas/targets for us…

Agree with Gov too, but would like him as the receiving option from the kick in

Don't get me started on this...the Geelong game was the paragon

Did you not hear me...dont get me started!!!

I'm going to walk away from this post assuming you won't get me started on this...oh my god!!! you're trying to get me started...ok last time...whoa whoa ohhhh...I see that expression on your face...you're trying to get me started!!!!!

Seen exiting with a straight jacket and parrot on his shoulders trying to flog cheap furniture???

Nice to have a comfortable win but if we are as good as we want to be this should have been a 50 pointer. Thought we had good moments but thought we were poor at times too.

Credit to them they started at a high intensity however we keep appearing vulnerable to this. Undone by teams who play with effort, speed and intensity around the ball, we need to learn how to match this, go up a level which we sort of did but can get better again at. We need to be the ones who come out firing and we haven't been lately.

One thing that needs looking at is our forward line. Yes it's nice to have McKay and Curnow deep and goal kicking threats but when we don't have that true CHF, that tall who plays ahead of the ball to take the aggressive forward kick or get out kick we are slowed down too much, we are easily defended against too much.

Our small forward's positioning needs a look at too, just not right place at right time. Contests near the boundary, the defenders are going to spoil wide, we need front and centres but let's crumb boundary side more in those situations. I think we need to work on positioning of our cumbers, just gone off the boil a bit here.

Cripps - He looked back to his best, finding a heap of it, getting out in the open more, taking marks etc. Had a stinker the week before so he has responded.

Walsh - Outstanding, even with a rolled ankle.

Cerra - I thought he was better, he hasn't been quite as good as he was early in the season.

Kennedy - Same as Cerra, a lot better.

Docherty - Wasn't as damaging but he was better after having his colours lowered the week before.

Saad - Simply outstanding.

Setterfield - One of the better games he has played, he moved well, he came back in and played very well.

Newman - Did a job, played ok.

Fisher - Played a really good game, he's in red hot form.

O'Brien - Thought he responded after being dropped, he was pretty solid.

Curnow - Played well, very threatening up forward.

McKay - Played ok. Getting outmarked a bit, not all his fault but needs to do better, kicked poorly for goal.

Plowman - He looks very fit, he's in nice form.

Cottrell - He played a top game as an attacking wingman, his ability to run and find space is pretty good.

Silvagni - He played well, he looked to be moving a bit more freer, I think his overhead marking could be a little stronger but it's hard to fault his game.

Weitering - He's not back to his best, but he's getting there.

Honey - I thought he was good, at one stage he was our best link player at half forward. Think he's getting fitter, had a fantastic run down effort.

DeKoning - Playing ok, needs to work on his marking and tune that up a bit. He's got a fitness base at the moment. Needs to work on his defensive craft, loses touch of his opponent when defending one on one, needs to do some work as a key defender.

Young - He had a stinker, dropped marks, got caught punching balls he needs to be marking, spoiled Weitering on one occasion and should have been protecting him. Just needs a tune up.

McGovern - You can see why he is so important to have in with his intercepting and kicking. Was good having him back.

Durdin - Just not having the impact on games he was earlier. Not sure if it's positioning or how we are moving the ball in.

Motlop - He tries hard and does nice things but again a low impact game.

The problem with your best rebound players kicking out is that you don't have them up the field around the half back area where they can be really damaging on the rebound. Newman kicking out is good because he's not that player. Docherty and Saad Kicking out means they aren't up there around the next kick where they are most dangerous.

Newman, McGovern and Weitering to kick out for me. Docherty and Saad up the ground looking to link up and hurt on the rebound.

The problem with your best rebound players kicking out is that you don't have them up the field around the half back area where they can be really damaging on the rebound. Newman kicking out is good because he's not that player. Docherty and Saad Kicking out means they aren't up there around the next kick where they are most dangerous.

Newman, McGovern and Weitering to kick out for me. Docherty and Saad up the ground looking to link up and hurt on the rebound.

I actually think Doc has become too one dimensional/predictable with his kicking. Probably our best kick from behind the square, kicking long to an open target to the wings/flanks, but losing trust with those 25-40 metre dissecting kicks and or under pressure.

I actually think Doc has become too one dimensional/predictable with his kicking. Probably our best kick from behind the square, kicking long to an open target to the wings/flanks, but losing trust with those 25-40 metre dissecting kicks and or under pressure.
Agree - Doc will go for a long kick down the boundary pretty much every time. Whereas Newman mixes it up and is happy to take the short option about 30m out from goal. I greatly prefer us taking the short option and then using that 2nd link move us up the field. While we do have good options to mark those long kicks - it will generally be to a contest. Conversely, if we take the short option first -- it opens up the field to go through the corridor or go out to the boundary again if need be.

Great summary gbatman. At this time of year most who are not in top form is because they are playing sore. Then there is Walsh, it's apparent he will push past everything to still be the player he is.

Kick to 60m out to the left.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Walsh quite often burns a teammate and will do a u-turn/kick around the body to a contest. Needs to give the handball to the teammate who has better vision and time to hit a target.

There was a perfect example in the 1st qtr when he burnt LOB who would have been on his left with plenty of time. Walsh kicked around his body to a contest. LOB just looked at walsh with arms out and said something, presumably 'wtf mate, handball' and fair enough i reckon
Walsh's vision/awareness and then ability to distribute to the best option is second to none in our team imo. I highlight examples of it every week.

I actually think he ignored LOB because there were players to close the space and force a rushed kick anyway.

For some context though LOB needs to be hitting targets when in space if he wants his teammates to trust him. This was 40 seconds before the incident you're talking about.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (11).gif

Good win. We are becoming quite menacing defensively. Giants had to kick some awesome goals to get on the scoreboard for the most part. I still think we haven’t got our front half game in a good enough shape at the moment to hurt better opposition. We are getting the turnovers in good spots but we make hard work of it when we have the footy. Not sure if it’s due to positioning or just not knowing what to do when it happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Back