Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Walsh's vision/awareness and then ability to distribute to the best option is second to none in our team imo. I highlight examples of it every week.

I actually think he ignored LOB because there were players to close the space and force a rushed kick anyway.

For some context though LOB needs to be hitting targets when in space if he wants his teammates to trust him. This was 40 seconds before the incident you're talking about.

View attachment 1458290

I just saw this post - definitely agree with LOB and his kicking, misses way to many with space and time, this video a prime example. He can be a great kick and needs to hit more of them as its his main weapon.

He still panics alot (not this video, thats just a poor kick), his kick that landed in charlies hands in the last qtr was a prime example, had plenty of time for the shot on goal, shat himself and miskicked it, luckily into charlies arms.

As for Walsh, he does have great vision and for the main does it but, i reckon 4 or 5 times a game, he burns his team mate and does a u-turn and a nothing kick - handball backwards/sidewards opens up so much more time for the teammate to hit a target rather than a bomb to contest.

I just saw this post - definitely agree with LOB and his kicking, misses way to many with space and time, this video a prime example. He can be a great kick and needs to hit more of them as its his main weapon.

He still panics alot (not this video, thats just a poor kick), his kick that landed in charlies hands in the last qtr was a prime example, had plenty of time for the shot on goal, shat himself and miskicked it, luckily into charlies arms.

As for Walsh, he does have great vision and for the main does it but, i reckon 4 or 5 times a game, he burns his team mate and does a u-turn and a nothing kick - handball backwards/sidewards opens up so much more time for the teammate to hit a target rather than a bomb to contest.
I agree here, there is no questioning Walsh's ball winning ability, but his decision making and or disposal by foot is his biggest weakness

Walsh's vision/awareness and then ability to distribute to the best option is second to none in our team imo. I highlight examples of it every week.

I actually think he ignored LOB because there were players to close the space and force a rushed kick anyway.

For some context though LOB needs to be hitting targets when in space if he wants his teammates to trust him. This was 40 seconds before the incident you're talking about.

View attachment 1458290
For mine, Walsh is the most talented AFL player in the league bar none.
You cannot underestimate just how amazing he is. Naturally gifted but also exemplary worker paired with high footy IQ, great work ethic and team spirit.
We are incredibly fortunate to have him at our club.

I agree here, there is no questioning Walsh's ball winning ability, but his decision making and or disposal by foot is his biggest weakness
Reckon his contested ball winning ability is his biggest weakness and even then its fantastic for his age and size... just waiting on until he fully fills out like Brayshaw has so he can break tackles easier and physically move his opponents around off contest. Last year his decision making was arguably best in the league as he constantly used the ball in a manor to release teammates and produce scoring chains in a very direct fashion.

This year imo its Voss' game plan that has made his impact per touch decay. We play very similar to the Dogs midfield where they whip the ball around an exorbitant amount. Teague played a far more direct offense with limited touches per inside 50. Walsh worked better in that system in terms of impact, but as a team we are going a lot better with him partaking in the keepings off game our mids are trained to play. That might be for next year where Voss adds some more layers to his role but for now its working pretty well.

Reckon his contested ball winning ability is his biggest weakness and even then its fantastic for his age and size... just waiting on until he fully fills out like Brayshaw has so he can break tackles easier and physically move his opponents around off contest. Last year his decision making was arguably best in the league as he constantly used the ball in a manor to release teammates and produce scoring chains in a very direct fashion.

This year imo its Voss' game plan that has made his impact per touch decay. We play very similar to the Dogs midfield where they whip the ball around an exorbitant amount. Teague played a far more direct offense with limited touches per inside 50. Walsh worked better in that system in terms of impact, but as a team we are going a lot better with him partaking in the keepings off game our mids are trained to play. That might be for next year where Voss adds some more layers to his role but for now its working pretty well.

I think for his size, Walsh's contested work is very good, but as you say, with more size/strength/experience, it will go to another level

What I would like to see developed in Walsh's game is hitting more shorter targets by foot

I think for his size, Walsh's contested work is very good, but as you say, with more size/strength/experience, it will go to another level

What I would like to see developed in Walsh's game is hitting more shorter targets by foot
I'm only half way through this video I stumbled across on Youtube, but loving the possession breakdown:

Ok, also loving the focus on team pressure in the 2nd half of the video.

Last edited:
It's sAAdy ffs.
Sad In A Box GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Back