Your Ideal Side for Round 1 2011 + Delisting/Traded Out Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect to get clobbered for this but if anyone was to miss out from the three smalls, I'd suggest it would be Garlett.
The reason for this is that Betts and Yarran now, seem to have more tricks to their armoury and Garlett is not ready for any position other than the one he has been playing.

It does look although that all three will be there come round 1.

As much as I like the three of them I just feel this is going to be harder to achieve based on new recruits and no injuries.

I believe part of a harder edge will require us to have bigger bodies in the team and this is the main reason for taking Davies as my sub. I could see him being a bit of a wrecking ball in the middle (aka Josh Kennedy from the Swans).

Man its got tough since last draft and with the likes of Mclean, Lucas and Krueze becoming available and Walker looking like being back in favour.

By the end of the year i think this will be our lineup:

B: Bower - Jamison - Joseph
HB: Russell - Watson - Laidler

C: Murphy - McLean - Simpson
R: Warnock - Gibbs - Judd

HF: Lucas - Henderson - Walker
F: Betts - Waite - Garlett

I/C: Yarran, Kreuzer, Robinson, (sub??)

Watson will in future be our best CHB (ahead of Austin)
Laidler will be better for the future than duigan
joseph and army play the same kind of role, except joseph is younger and better (finished top 10 in b&f)
The midfield is self explanatory
The 3 amigos are all in but yarran pushes up into midfield
Walker third tall, showed something. could be defensive forward
Mitch will improve his skills and become a tough nut.
Carrazzo and Scotland will be replaced by younger midfielders.

Joseph Jamison Bower
Gibbs Austin Russell
Grigg McLean Scotland
Yarran Henderson Simpson
Garlett Waite Betts
Warnock Judd Murphy

Dennis Armfield, Shaun Hampson, David Ellard, Andrew Carrazzo

Robinson, Lucas, Davies

Injured - Matthew Kreuzer

Just thought I'd update, now that we're in the home stretch for the start of the 2011 season. The quoted team was done before trading and drafting (and the new sub rule, evidently).

Joseph Jamison Watson
Russell Bower Armfield
Murphy Carrazzo Yarran
Simpson Henderson Walker
Garlett Waite Betts
Warnock Judd Gibbs

David Ellard, Shaun Hampson, Brock McLean. (Sub - Heath Scotland)

EMG - Mitch Robinson, Mark Austin, Jeremy Laidler

I'm loving the fact that there is literally 6 or more players I could've put in the side without any loss of talent. Henderson is obviously best case scenario. I don't expect him to get up, so Hampson would swap to FF, Waite to CHF, Scotland onto the bench and O'hAilpin into the sub.

Our tall forward stocks do look bare without Hendo, which is my only major worry for 2011.

Just thought I'd update, now that we're in the home stretch for the start of the 2011 season. The quoted team was done before trading and drafting (and the new sub rule, evidently).

Joseph Jamison Watson
Russell Bower Armfield
Murphy Carrazzo Yarran
Simpson Henderson Walker
Garlett Waite Betts
Warnock Judd Gibbs

David Ellard, Shaun Hampson, Brock McLean. (Sub - Heath Scotland)

EMG - Mitch Robinson, Mark Austin, Jeremy Laidler

good team. but i don't know why you put watson in the pocket. i think it would work if you switch him with bower

Very much a defined purpose player is Duigan.
Remember we're not talking about an 18y.o. that needs seasoning.
He's been playing seniors for years now albeit in a lower grade comp.

Right now Duigan would be ahead of Laidler, Davies, Lucas and possibly Scotland, solely for a HBF position
Armfield and Joseph don't figure, here.

Harker i believe Laidler was headhunted by Ratten .
The club traded a 2nd round draft pick for him .
Duigan was taken at around pick 70 in the draft from memory .
While i wish them both well and may the best man win , you would have to think Ratten will start with Laidler .

Armfield Jamison Laidler

Russell Austin/Watson Bower

good team. but i don't know why you put watson in the pocket. i think it would work if you switch him with bower

Very big ask for a 19 year old to slot straight into CHB. My thoughts were that he's certainly big enough to play (and we need another big frame down back), but it would be better to let him find his AFL feet on the third tall.

After seeing our draftees play for the first time over the next six weeks, I'll have a whole new perspective on who can do what and no doubt reshuffle the team again.

Betts, Garlett and Yarran will all be in our best team, and will be one of our main strengths with their brilliance.

But i agree there will be no more "amigo's" forward line. Garlett and/or Yaz will be upfield and rotating.

This, and the ruck is where the game will be won and lost come round 1. Richmond have had a history of just not being able to contain small forwards, and given that Betts and Garlett are very good at what they do, Richmonds defence could be in for a tough night at the ofiice.

IMO there are 14 player that are automatic selections -
Judd, murphy, gibbs, simpson, kreuzer, mclean, warnock, betts, garlett, henderson, waite, russell, bower and jamison

And 22 player to fill the other 8 spots

White austin thornton
Duigan watson laider
Armfield curnow lucas
Robinson walker collins
Yarran ohailpin houlihan
Hampson carrazzo ellard
Davies scotland joesph twomey

Judd, murphy, gibbs, simpson, kreuzer, mclean, warnock, betts, garlett, henderson, waite, russell, bower and jamison

And 22 player to fill the other 8 spots plus injuries

White austin thornton
Duigan watson laider
Armfield curnow lucas
Robinson walker collins
Yarran ohailpin houlihan
Hampson carrazzo ellard

Fixed. .. plus I don't think McLean is a walk up start yet, although he should be able to earn automatic selection if he stays fit. ..

And 22 player to fill the other 8 spots

White austin thornton
Duigan watson laider
Armfield curnow lucas
Robinson walker collins
Yarran ohailpin houlihan
Hampson carrazzo ellard
No Carrrazzo? I would rather have Carrots in the team than Mclean any day of the week. After today the team would be...

B: Duigen Watson Joseph
HB: Bower Jamison Russell
C: Yarran Gibbs Simpson
HF: Walker Waite Collins/Houlihan
F: Kreuzer Henderson Betts
FOL: Warnock Juddy Murphy
INT: Lucas Carrazzo Garlett
SUB: Robinson/laider/Armfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not really sure what more Carrazzo and Scotland can do to prove to people they are important senior players in our best 22. Experience and leadership is needed in any side, and having watched the intra club match yesterday as well as going by there past seasons they're still playing great footy.

Anyways here's my best 22

B: Dennis Armfield, Michael Jamison, Aaron Joseph

HB: Jordan Russel, Paul Bower, Nick Duigan

R: Mathew Kruezer, Chris Judd, Marc Murphy

C: Bryce Gibbs, Brock Mclean, Kade Simpson

HF: Ryan Houlihan, Lachlan Henderson, Andrew Walker

F: Eddie Betts, Jarred Waite, Jeffery Gartlett

I: Heath Scotland, Andrew Carazzo, Robert Warnock

S: Chris Yarran

E: Mitch Robinson, Kane Lucas, Setanta O'hAilpin

Im not really sure what more Carrazzo and Scotland can do to prove to people they are important senior players in our best 22. Experience and leadership is needed in any side, and having watched the intra club match yesterday as well as going by there past seasons they're still playing great footy.

I endorse this product, now I just need to hold up this post for a product placement facebook photo ;)

Even though I like the side, I still keep trying to squeeze in players, like Robbo and Lucas but at the expense of who?

Except for the ruck weakness I agree this is a very strong side. For the sake of structure I hope that Austin is given first shot at CHB and is told that it is his to lose. This would mean dropping Duigan for round 1 (whether Austin can hold the spot is anyone's guess). I also believe that Ellard is part of the starting 22. That means dropping 1 of Scotland, Betts or McLean (my preference is to drop Scotland). We will need 2 ruckmen. If Henderson is not fit for round 1 then the Hammer comes in. When Kreuzer is fit it will be decision-time for any underperforming forward or midfielder.

Scotland, carrazzo, thornton and houlihan have been great player but if our team is going to move forward in 2011 our younger player need to develop into better player. 12 mths ago fraser, obree, medhurst and lockyer were all in the pie best 22. A couple of years ago wiggins, fisher, bentick and ackland were all in our best 22. We need to move forward or we will never win another flag

It would be wise to not play Henderson and Kreuzer in round 1, especially both. This is what I think the team will probably look like come round 1:

B: Nick Duigan, Michael Jamison, Aaron Joseph
HB: Jordan Russell, Paul Bower, Chris Yarran
C: Dennis Armfield, Brock McLean, Kade Simpson
Foll: Robert Warnock, Chris Judd, Bryce Gibbs
HF: Marc Murphy, Jarrad Waite, Ryan Houlihan
F: Jeffery Garlett, Andrew Walker, Eddie Betts
I/C: Kane Lucas, Shaun Hampson, Andrew Carrazzo
Sub: Heath Scotland
EMG: Mitch Robinson, Mark Austin, Marcus Davies

B: Armfield Jamison Austin
HB: Duigan Watson Russell
C: Waite McLean Simpson
HF: Walker Henderson Judd
F: Kreuzer Houlihan Betts
FOL: Warnock, Gibbs, Murphy
INT: Yarran, Garlett, Bower (Sub: O'hAlipin)
Emer; Lucas, Scotland, Robinson, Laidley

But what I would prefer to see is:

B; Armfield Jamison O'hAlipin
HB; Duigan Austin Russell
C; Waite McLean Simpson
HF; Judd Henderson Walker
F; Kreuzer Houlihan Betts
R; Warnock, Gibbs, Murphy
Inter: Robinson, Lucas, Garlett (sub Scotland)
Emer; Carrazzo, Bower, Yarran, Hampson

I tell you what, there's got to be a $1Million dollar prize for the guy who can pick the 22 for the first match sometime over the next couple of weeks.
It just gets bloody harder each time I look at the player list. I pick a good to great side then I look to see who I've left out and I can't work out how I left that player/players out?
A great position to be in at last, but it's certainly going to take some time for the MC to finalize their most balanced team. It may take the whole year before they really know the preferred make up of our best side.:confused::confused::confused:

Definitely the hardest year in a very long time to pick a best 22 for Round 1.

Bear with me here, I'm listing 2 versions:

1. Without any injury clouds, here is what I would love to see:

B: Armfield Jamison Russell
HB: Bower Watson Duigan
C: Murphy Carrazzo Gibbs
Foll: Warnock Judd Ellard
HF: Robinson Henderson Houlihan
F: Garlett Walker Betts

Int: Kreuzer, Simpson, Joseph
(Super) Sub: Waite

E: Likely to be 3 of McLean, Scotland, Lucas, Collins, Curnow, Laidler.

DEFENCE EXPLANATION: Watson needs a baptism of fire, Michael Hurley style. He's already shown he can muscle it with the biggest and strongest in the league (Waite at the intra-club) so we need to give him real game time. Slotting him in that very experienced defence will cause minimal disruption and allow everyone to learn their role. Flexible here in that if Duigan can take on the all-important 3rd tall role, Bower can slot into CHB instead and we can leave Watson out. Oh, the joy of real options! Our defence still looked better with ye olde Thornton + Bower combination, but Bret just can't move the ball forward with any purpose :(

MIDFIELD EXPLANATION: Not much is surprising here. Carrots to start in the tagging role he's so good at, leaving Ellard to read the palms of Robbie's hands and Juddy to extract the dead ball. Gibbs and Murph as receivers to start. McLean needs to show much more (almost entirely) in terms of durability - Ellard will have a tough time keeping this spot as the season progresses because of McLean, because if McLean can equal Ellard physically then it's a no-brainer to pick him instead as he has a fine football mind and vast experience. Ellard lays the tackles, gets to every contest and is finding his offensive feet though, so he won't be off the radar at any point. Simmo won't sit on the bench for long, neither will big Kreuz :)

FORWARD EXPLANATION: Some of our most potent attacking weapons on show here. Walker at FF is due to his Final v Sydney, his obvious hunger at the intra-club game, and his well-documented injury-free potential finally (hopefully!) being realised. Robinson might shank a few, but his game v Dustin Fletcher cements him as one of our brightest future clubmen - too fast, too hard, too hungry and too talented to miss out. Garlett astounded us in his 2nd year - can't wait for his 3rd! Eddie is lucky in my eyes - top goal-scorer yes but we need less fade-outs from him, so hopefully with less of a load to bear he can step up his consistency in terms of hitting the scoreboard. Houlihan - much maligned, but we would have played our first Melbourne final in a decade had he not been injured. He can defend our forward line and consistently hurt them the other way, and is still our most reliable set shot. Henderstar - really came into his own as 2010 went on, much to my incredible surprise and immense pleasure.

SUB: Jarrad. Will play 50% of the game, and come on for whichever part of the field is struggling most. This eliminates his tendency to go quiet for long periods of time. We hear the term 'super sub' bandied about in Football all the time (case in point: the Socceroos just lost the Asian Cup to a super strike by a 'super sub'). He brings X-factor, hardness, smarts - he really ticks all the boxes, and does his best work rattling the confidence of the other team by being seemingly omnipresent. You'd bet everything you own that when he comes out to play after half time, he'll be chomping at the bit. Just don't get suspended Jarrad!

2. CONSIDERING there may be some injury clouds:

B: Armfield Jamison Joseph
HB: Scotland Bower Russell
C: Gibbs Simpson Murphy
Foll: Warnock Judd McLean
HF: Walker Henderson Houlihan
F: Betts Waite Garlett

Int: Carrazzo, Robinson, Hampson
Sub: White

E: Lucas, Ellard, Duigan

Unlucky: Laidler, Collins, Yarran, Davies, Tuohy, Austin

Cotton Wool: Curnow, Kreuzer, O'Keeffe

Developing: Casboult, Watson, McInnes, McCarthy, Mitchell, Bray, Labi

Gone-ski: Thornton, o'hAilpin (if anyone can prove us wrong it's Irish, but it'll take a minor miracle).

EXPLANATION: Conservative side leaning towards proven experience. Given we face Richmond, we want to start off on a flyer and these guys will definitely get the job done without any hassle. Like pulling on a pair of old Uggs :)

How is it that you see Ellard coming in for Betts? Mclean and Scotland maybe.. But Betts?

The thinking would be that with Garlett, Yarran, Walker and Houlihan we are not short of small/mid forwards. Further, Ellard impressed me not only in the midfield but also in being able to find dangerous positions on the forward line, particularly but not exclusively in the Bullants finals campaign.

The thinking would be that with Garlett, Yarran, Walker and Houlihan we are not short of small/mid forwards. Further, Ellard impressed me not only in the midfield but also in being able to find dangerous positions on the forward line, particularly but not exclusively in the Bullants finals campaign.

Our leading Goal Scorer from 2010 wont be left out of the team. .. I think as far as Round 1 is concerned Eddie would be one of the first half a dozen picked. .. Probably the first picked with the possible exception of Waite for the forwards. ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Ideal Side for Round 1 2011 + Delisting/Traded Out Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back