Your Ideal Side for Round 1 2011 + Delisting/Traded Out Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Scotland, carrazzo, thornton and houlihan have been great player but if our team is going to move forward in 2011 our younger player need to develop into better player. 12 mths ago fraser, obree, medhurst and lockyer were all in the pie best 22. A couple of years ago wiggins, fisher, bentick and ackland were all in our best 22. We need to move forward or we will never win another flag

Think this is going off a bit early and, while I don't think these guys have been "great" players for our club, I think they have been good servants during our darkest period. As such it is up to the younger players to force them out, not to be picked just because they're young, and if they can we can look forward to a much improved year.

As for the round 1 team, I think picking it is like winning lotto but I think we need to start with the talls, particularly in the backline which, IMO was our weak link last year.

I keep hearing great things about Austin but continue to see nothing of him. Hopefully this year we'll find out.

There's a lot of love on this board for Bower and Jammo and, whilst I think Jammo is (and should continue to be) a very good FB, I don't think CFB is Bowers spot. If Austin doesn't make the grade I wouldn't mind seeing Setanta given a shot, I know I cringe when he gets the ball but he does get it and isn't easily moved off it.

I know I've been farting against thunder by backing Thornton but I still think he has much to offer, still think we lacked his leadership in the backline last year. I expect the usual ridicule for saying that but until he is given a chance to redeem himself I'll continue to think it.

So I would like to see a halfback line of Thornton, Setanta/Austin and Bower. They are all tall and mobile and, I think, worth a try at least in the NAB cup.

Would also love to see Hampson at FF, Hendo at CHF and Waite on the flank with a licence to run. May not work but looks good on paper.

i think our depth in most other areas is a real strength and would be happy with almost any mix that obviously included Judd, Murphy et al.

Im not really sure what more Carrazzo and Scotland can do to prove to people they are important senior players in our best 22. Experience and leadership is needed in any side, and having watched the intra club match yesterday as well as going by there past seasons they're still playing great footy.

Anyways here's my best 22

B: Dennis Armfield, Michael Jamison, Aaron Joseph

HB: Jordan Russel, Paul Bower, Nick Duigan

R: Mathew Kruezer, Chris Judd, Marc Murphy

C: Bryce Gibbs, Brock Mclean, Kade Simpson

HF: Ryan Houlihan, Lachlan Henderson, Andrew Walker

F: Eddie Betts, Jarred Waite, Jeffery Gartlett

I: Heath Scotland, Andrew Carazzo, Robert Warnock

S: Chris Yarran

E: Mitch Robinson, Kane Lucas, Setanta O'hAilpin
Like alot... but I really want to be able to play both Robbo and Lucas...

argh don't know where...

Azzurro - I see what you were trying to do with Waite as the super sub but that's just not going to happen. If you saw the intraclub you would know he is set for a huge year and is arguably our most important player.

I like your explanations and I appreciate the thought that's gone behind it, it was a good read.

Definitely the hardest year in a very long time to pick a best 22 for Round 1.

Bear with me here, I'm listing 2 versions:

1. Without any injury clouds, here is what I would love to see:

B: Armfield Jamison Russell
HB: Bower Watson Duigan
C: Murphy Carrazzo Gibbs
Foll: Warnock Judd Ellard
HF: Robinson Henderson Houlihan
F: Garlett Walker Betts

Int: Kreuzer, Simpson, Joseph
(Super) Sub: Waite

E: Likely to be 3 of McLean, Scotland, Lucas, Collins, Curnow, Laidler.

DEFENCE EXPLANATION: Watson needs a baptism of fire, Michael Hurley style. He's already shown he can muscle it with the biggest and strongest in the league (Waite at the intra-club) so we need to give him real game time. Slotting him in that very experienced defence will cause minimal disruption and allow everyone to learn their role. Flexible here in that if Duigan can take on the all-important 3rd tall role, Bower can slot into CHB instead and we can leave Watson out. Oh, the joy of real options! Our defence still looked better with ye olde Thornton + Bower combination, but Bret just can't move the ball forward with any purpose :(

MIDFIELD EXPLANATION: Not much is surprising here. Carrots to start in the tagging role he's so good at, leaving Ellard to read the palms of Robbie's hands and Juddy to extract the dead ball. Gibbs and Murph as receivers to start. McLean needs to show much more (almost entirely) in terms of durability - Ellard will have a tough time keeping this spot as the season progresses because of McLean, because if McLean can equal Ellard physically then it's a no-brainer to pick him instead as he has a fine football mind and vast experience. Ellard lays the tackles, gets to every contest and is finding his offensive feet though, so he won't be off the radar at any point. Simmo won't sit on the bench for long, neither will big Kreuz :)

FORWARD EXPLANATION: Some of our most potent attacking weapons on show here. Walker at FF is due to his Final v Sydney, his obvious hunger at the intra-club game, and his well-documented injury-free potential finally (hopefully!) being realised. Robinson might shank a few, but his game v Dustin Fletcher cements him as one of our brightest future clubmen - too fast, too hard, too hungry and too talented to miss out. Garlett astounded us in his 2nd year - can't wait for his 3rd! Eddie is lucky in my eyes - top goal-scorer yes but we need less fade-outs from him, so hopefully with less of a load to bear he can step up his consistency in terms of hitting the scoreboard. Houlihan - much maligned, but we would have played our first Melbourne final in a decade had he not been injured. He can defend our forward line and consistently hurt them the other way, and is still our most reliable set shot. Henderstar - really came into his own as 2010 went on, much to my incredible surprise and immense pleasure.

SUB: Jarrad. Will play 50% of the game, and come on for whichever part of the field is struggling most. This eliminates his tendency to go quiet for long periods of time. We hear the term 'super sub' bandied about in Football all the time (case in point: the Socceroos just lost the Asian Cup to a super strike by a 'super sub'). He brings X-factor, hardness, smarts - he really ticks all the boxes, and does his best work rattling the confidence of the other team by being seemingly omnipresent. You'd bet everything you own that when he comes out to play after half time, he'll be chomping at the bit. Just don't get suspended Jarrad!

2. CONSIDERING there may be some injury clouds:

B: Armfield Jamison Joseph
HB: Scotland Bower Russell
C: Gibbs Simpson Murphy
Foll: Warnock Judd McLean
HF: Walker Henderson Houlihan
F: Betts Waite Garlett

Int: Carrazzo, Robinson, Hampson
Sub: White

E: Lucas, Ellard, Duigan

Unlucky: Laidler, Collins, Yarran, Davies, Tuohy, Austin

Cotton Wool: Curnow, Kreuzer, O'Keeffe

Developing: Casboult, Watson, McInnes, McCarthy, Mitchell, Bray, Labi

Gone-ski: Thornton, o'hAilpin (if anyone can prove us wrong it's Irish, but it'll take a minor miracle).

EXPLANATION: Conservative side leaning towards proven experience. Given we face Richmond, we want to start off on a flyer and these guys will definitely get the job done without any hassle. Like pulling on a pair of old Uggs :)

Excellent post Azzuro :thumbsu:

I don't envy the MC trying to pick a best 22 week in week out during the season.
It's going to be a very hard task.

The obvious will be selected & match ups/needs will come into play as well.

I for the life of me cannot select a best 22 at this stage.
I can't fit them all in :(

That is what depth will do to a club & isn't it a wonderful thing to have, something we have been lacking for several years ;)

B: Armfield, Jamison, Russell
HB: Yarran, Waite, Bower
C: Simpson, McLean, Lucas
HF: Murphy, Henderson, Walker
F: Betts, Kruezer, Gartlett
R: Warnock, Judd, Gibbs
Int: Davies, Ellard, Laidler
Sub: Houlihan
E: Joseph, Duigan, Scotland

Short on talls and i think the club will need Austin/White to step up this year and stay injury free. Plenty of run and drive from the backline with Armfield, Russell, Yarran and Waite. Midfield speaks for itself, hopefully McLean to stay fir and do the hard work in the middle, frees up Murphy to go forward and kick goals like we know ho can. Forward line is short on talls but with Walks being earmarked for a lead up forward roll he takes the position of an extra tall. Think kruezer will play mainly forward this year but probably wont be ready for the first 6 rounds. Big fellas tend to take at least a year to really get going so if he can kick 25-40 goals as a mainly forward option, would be rapt.

B: Russell Jamison Duigan
HB : Yarran Bower Gibbs
C: Simpson McLean Lucas
HF: Walker Henderson Garlett
F: Betts Waite Kreuzer

R: Warnock Judd Murphy

Int: Carrazzo Collins Ellard

Sub: Watson

Fringe: Armfield, Joseph, Houlihan,Robinson,White

No more Thornton, Scotland, Setanta please.

My concerns are Jamison/Bower, no doubt Watson in time will overtake them.

Hopefully White or Austin can step up as well.

Another classy midfielder would be handy.

i'm pretty happy with that side, some good users from defence.

B: Duigan Jamison Russell
HB: Yarran Bower Laidler Davies
C: Lucas Gibbs Simpson
HF: Garlett Waite Murphy
F: Betts Walker
FOLL: Warnock Judd McLean
INT: Hampson Armfield Curnow
SUB: Robinson
EMG: Scotland Houlihan Watson Joseph Cachia Collins

reckon throw Robbo onto that flank and upgrade Scotland to sub or most likely switch him with Army.....Would be much easier if Hendo was available :(
Imagine Walker getting the 3rd string defender too :eek::cool:

reckon throw Robbo onto that flank and upgrade Scotland to sub or most likely switch him with Army.....Would be much easier if Hendo was available :(
Imagine Walker getting the 3rd string defender too :eek::cool:
What flank? I've got an extra defender back.

Scotland will have to do more to keep Lucas and Curnow out. Armfield or Joseph will be in for a tagging role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tricky Sin, why the extra man back?
Strengthen up the back line, stop the opposition having an open forward line to kick to. Just abpout all those guys are capable of pushing up the ground and having a run but we need others to cover them. You've never played in a team with an extra man down back?

Strengthen up the back line, stop the opposition having an open forward line to kick to. Just abpout all those guys are capable of pushing up the ground and having a run but we need others to cover them. You've never played in a team with an extra man down back?

I think the extra man is not such a bad idea. .. One of them (perhaps several in rotation) would need to be able to push forward and hurt the opposition on occasion though. .. I still like the idea of playing a 6 man forward set up and having Hendo and Waite rotate pushing into defense to create the extra man that way. ..

B: Duigan Jamison Russell
HB: Yarran Bower Laidler Davies
C: Lucas Gibbs Simpson
HF: Garlett Waite Murphy
F: Betts Walker
FOLL: Warnock Judd McLean
INT: Hampson Armfield Curnow
SUB: Robinson
EMG: Scotland Houlihan Watson Joseph Cachia Collins

Like the team. Not sure Gibbs is cut out yet for the hard stuff in the middle. Maybe it will be the making of him but atm, i see him as a silky outside player no better than Dal Santo. Every ten or so games, Dal Santo puts his head over the ball due to constant criticism. TBH, it seems Gibbs is in the same mould! On his side is time and more body development...hopefully he will harden a little more.

That line up shows we really need Henderson otherwise the fwd line looks weak...well weak in terms of a top 6 birth.

My ideal side for round 1 wouldn't include:

Jamieson - that is unless they can get the right match up for him in defence. Definitely needs a lot of improvement. Doesn't get the ball enough, but good on him for making the leadership group, which should ensure he gets a spot.

Houlihan - a flashy player who is capable and skillful, but needs more consistency, which is difficult with all his injuries.

My ideal side for round 1 would include:

Laidler - he needs at least 4 games in a row to find his feet....but can take a mark and has good skills, better skills than some of the established defenders from last year for instance.

Watson - an imposing player, a big bodied player than imposes himself on contest and my gawd....what a beautiful long kick.

Duigan - showed a lot and has a nice kick, nice decision making. All three of these players need the coach to show a bit of faith for first 4 rounds to find feet unless they are diabolically bad, which is unlikely.

Kane Lucas - if this guy stays fit I reckon Carlton can make the finals. This guy has a lot of upside.

Borderline - Armfield. I admire this guy for his endeavour and willingness to run the lines - something Jamison and others aren't capable of doing regularly - but his kicking needs A LOT of improvement. Has he ever kicked a low flying stab pass?

Bower- another good run and carry player, but unless you can kick accurately you are under pressure with better kicks being around this year.

B: Armfield, Jamison, Laidler
HB: Yarran, Bower, Russell
C: Gibbs, Judd, Simpson
HF: Houlihan, Waite, Walker
F: Gartlett, Hampson, Betts
R: Warnock, Mclean, Murphy
I/C: Robinson, Scotland, Lucas
S: Duigan

Notes on those included:

Laidler: Very impressed with his hitout, thought he cut off plenty of forward movements and was damaging with the ball in hand. Doesn't lack a hard edge either, definitely has been moulding himself after Milburn.

Yarran: If he can carry this form into the regular season I am sold. Great work defensively, has uncanny game sense and disposal is divine. Once this kid hits the middle I think he will be VERY BIG.

Houlihan: Defensive forward role, performed with aplomb last year, and I think he will return to this. His goal sense remains nigh on impeccable and I think he will be very valuable for us this year.

Walker: Is going to light the forward line up, especially when he can get some time and space. Was probably hurt by the need to play tall last night

Hampson: Structural reasons up forward is the only reason he starts here. Used as a second ruckman pinch hitting forward.

Robinson: Is very happy to get involved in the tough stuff, pips the other options (Ellard, Curnow) because of how damaging he can be forward.

Scotland: Still good enough to be a part of the rotation, will slip under a few teams radars throughout the year and cause some damage. Can be used on the HBF, HFF along a wing or in the middle all effectively.

Lucas: Poise, confidence and game smarts aren't something that can be taught, and the boy has them all. Big fan

Those that missed:

Curnow: Pipped by Robinson for the back up inside mid, as Robbo can be thrown forward to great effect.

Davies: Looks likely to play as an inside midfielder in the VFL, not AFL standard in this position.

Ellard: Disposal and size are his two issues. If he can improve his skills, and/or his impact on the opposition he may get a game, but he probably isn't AFL standard TBH (sorry guns)

Joseph: Dissapointed me in the hitout last night, continually getting caught and making errors. This and Yarran's surprisingly good defensive work see him dropped

Kerr: Still behind Gartlett and Betts as a forward, but if he can work on his defensive play could very well become our replacement for Houlihan in the forward half.

O'halpin: Will need to recover from the ankle, but otherwise I would of had him at FF with Hampson as sub. Adds to our structure and still capable in my eyes. Needs confidence

Twomey: Looks very handy as a wingman/HBF and I think he will get games if form slips or injury strikes in the backline

Watson: Very strongly considered, but given Laidler's very good performance I have assigned him the third man up role, which has left Watson out. If he can dominate man on man in the short term (I know I am hoping but he seemed very good defensively last night) then I may consider including him for one of the bench midfielders, while Yarran moves up.

B: Russell Jamison Yarran
HB: Laidler Watson Bower*

C: Gibbs McLean* Simpson
R: Warnock Judd Murphy

HF: Lucas Henderson Garlett
F: Betts Walker Waite

Int: Scotland Carrazzo Hampson*
Sub: Robinson

Bower - Still not 100% sold on him. With our plethora of back flankers he could easily be replaced by Duigan, Armfield, AJ or more. Still, he starts in round 1 for mine, and it's up to him to keep his place.

McLean - Let's face it, he was average last year. Like Bower, there are players nipping at his heels (Ellard, Robbo, Curnow). I like the look of Curnow and by the end of 2011 McLean may be struggling to keep his place unless he can prove otherwise (which I hope he does).

Hampson - Needs to learn how to mark the bloody ball. Will be back in the Ants as soon as Kruezer is back and barring injury to Warnock or MK, he won't play much in the big league this year. GWS beckons methinks.

B: Jordan Russell, Michael Jamison, Aaron Joseph
HB: Chris Yarran, Matthew Watson, Paul Bower
C: Kane Lucas, Bryce Gibbs, Kade Simpson
HF: Andrew Walker, Jarrad Waite,
F: Jeff Garlett, Shaun Hampson, Eddie Betts
FOL: Robert Warnock, Chris Judd, Marc Murphy
INT: Heath Scotland Andrew Carrazzo Brock Mclean/mitch robinson
S: Nic Duigan

B: Russell Jamison Armfield
HB: Laidler Austin Bower
C: Lucas Mclean Simpson
HF: Yarran Henderson Houlihan
F: Betts Waite Walker
FOL: Warnock Judd Murphy

INT: Duigan Scotland Hampson

S: Robinson

Austin still has close to six weeks to get up for round one. Named because we need a bigger body on the HBF. Round one will be a lot faster than last night, so we should keep Watson on ice.
Bower - Still not 100% sold on him. With our plethora of back flankers he could easily be replaced by Duigan, Armfield, AJ or more. Still, he starts in round 1 for mine, and it's up to him to keep his place.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771770

best team as of Round 1

B: Bower - Jamison - Laidler
HB: Russell - Watson - Duigan

C: Gibbs - McLean - Armfield
R: Warnock - Murphy - Judd

HF: Simpson - Waite - Garlett
F: Betts - Hampson - Walker

I/C: Lucas, Robinson, Yarran, (scotland)

B: Russell Jamison Armfield
HB: Laidler Austin Bower
C: Lucas Mclean Simpson
HF: Yarran Henderson Houlihan
F: Betts Waite Walker
FOL: Warnock Judd Murphy

INT: Duigan Scotland Hampson

S: Robinson

Austin still has close to six weeks to get up for round one. Named because we need a bigger body on the HBF. Round one will be a lot faster than last night, so we should keep Watson on ice.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771770
Gibbs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Ideal Side for Round 1 2011 + Delisting/Traded Out Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back