Your Ideal Side for Round 1 2011 + Delisting/Traded Out Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

How about defensive match ups?

Bower - Riewoldt
Watson - 2nd tall/Miller/Vickery/Griffiths
Laidler - Morton or 3rd tall
Russell - Taylor
Yarran loose whenever possible
Duigan or Armfield on a small like Nahas or resting mid.

^ This.

Fact is, is that no Jamo, and Bower on Riewoldt shouldn't be an issue if our backline are working as the unit they have been training to be over this pre-season.
We should always have at least one bloke chopping out as the 3rd man, just as has been seen to be so effective for the pies and saints.
Duigan and Laidler were recruited to strengthen us in this department so that our key backs aren't left without support.
If we are functioning as the unit we want to be then Riewoldt won't even be contesting.

Of those I'd rather keep Duigan as the loose man than Yarran. Duigan is totally fearless and very strong overhead - He won't take many marks down back, but if he's the 6th man, neither with the Richmond forwards.

Bower - Riewoldt
Watson - Vickery
Russell - 3rd tall
Yarran - Taylor
Armfield - Nahas

Duigan standing in the hole, rotating with Bower & Russell when their men lead up onto the wings

ie If Riewoldt goes charging up the wing, Duigan follows him and leaves Bower loose - Riewoldt either has to ineffectively bomb it i50, where Bower will easily chop it off, or he has to go the short pass, again leaving Bower loose blocking the hole and their only good contested mark too far away to impact the play.

Bower - Riewoldt
Watson - Vickery/Post/Griffiths
Laidler - Taylor
Yarran - Nahas
Duigan - King
Russell - Morton/(other?)

definately need Laidler to play or else we are way too small. As previously said, if the backline plays as a unit, we should be fine. This backline also gives us a lot of run and carry.

Bower - Riewoldt
Watson - Vickery/Post/Griffiths
Laidler - Taylor
Yarran - Nahas
Duigan - King
Russell - Morton/(other?)

definately need Laidler to play or else we are way too small. As previously said, if the backline plays as a unit, we should be fine. This backline also gives us a lot of run and carry.

Switch Watson to White and you have my preferred line up for R1.

B: Russell - Bower - Laidler
HB: Yarran - Austin - Duigan
C: Gibbs - McLean - Simpson
HF: Walker - Henderson - Collins
F: Betts - Waite - Garlett
FOLL: Warnock - Judd - Murphy
INC: Hampson - Armfield - Lucas
SUB: Robinson

B: Russell - Bower - Laidler
HB: Yarran - Austin - Duigan
C: Gibbs - McLean - Simpson
HF: Walker - Henderson - Collins
F: Betts - Waite - Garlett
FOLL: Warnock - Judd - Murphy
INC: Hampson - Armfield - Lucas
SUB: Robinson
Yep. Good call. Maybe Curnow for Robinson or Walker

Yep. Good call. Maybe Curnow for Robinson or Walker

We really need to see a little more of recruits before we put them ahead of players that have some runs on the board like Robbo or Tex dont we? Having said that I have a feeling Watson will play round 1 and surprise many and go on to play every game. So my bad, carry on!

Aussie doesnt have the runs (not by the latest medical reports anyway :eek::D) so Watson for mine as has been put by Harks

And heres a smokey, if Riewoldt is getting away from us, switch Waite down onto him and switch (and here is the conversation stopper) JR to the forward line (FF). He played there very early on, got plenty of shots on goal but had the yips, I think he is a much better kick these days and a great mark, has pace and smarts so can lead and is a decent size, plays tall and can play the ground ball. Would also surprise I think.

I agree with Bluekidjoe that Jamison missing shouldn't be a huge problem.

Full forwards as good as Jack Riewoldt will towel up the opposition's full back no matter who it is if they have decent delivery and the full back is lacking support.

Our other defenders need to clog up his space and ensure he doesn't get 1 on 1 contests. Our mids need to push back and put pressure on the ball carrier so he cant get silver service.

Their lack of a 2nd option should allow us to do this well. However i'm wary of Mitch Morton and also the resting ruckman.

I get the feeling that Waite will go to Jack early on, with Hammer playing out of the square. If White is fit, I think he'll get a gig as the third tall up forward. Setanta will probably also be on the pine to give us some flexibility.

B: Jeremy Laidler, Mark Austin**, Dennis Armfield
HB: Chris Yarran, Paul Bower, Jordan Russell
C: Kade Simpson, Ed Curnow*, Bryce Gibbs
Foll: Robert Warnock, Chris Judd, Marc Murphy
HF: Andrew Walker, Lachie Henderson, Andy Collins
F: Jeffery Garlett, Jarrad Waite, Eddie Betts
I/C: Shaun Hampson, Kane Lucas, Mitch Robinson
Sub: Heath Scotland

*It’s either Curnow or McLean for the centre position, if McLean is ready to roll he’ll be included otherwise Curnow will most likely fill the void.

**Potentially Matthew Watson or Bret Thornton could fit in somewhere here. Geelong game on the weekend should give us more of an idea. If it’s Austin or Thornton they’ll go to Riewoldt, If it’s Watson he’ll play on one of the Tigers young forwards and Bower would take Jack.

I think, given Jamo's suspension, we have to play Thornton round one.

Might as well give him an opportunity to stake his claim to be in the MC's thoughts for the remainder of the year too.

The fact of the matter is, he remained on the list for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full forwards as good as Jack Riewoldt will towel up the opposition's full back no matter who it is if they have decent delivery and the full back is lacking support.

Our other defenders need to clog up his space and ensure he doesn't get 1 on 1 contests
Richmond have been poor in the recent games, but he still owns Riewoldt who only got a goal after Jamison went off the ground. Jamison's record against J.Riewoldt is similar to his record against Bradshaw. Jamo has the size, speed and reach to beat them in one on ones. White should be the preferred opponent if J.Riewoldt plays out of the square. Reckon he's the closest player to Jamison on our list with his legspeed, leap and ability to spoil leading forwards.

Austin, Watson and Bower could be a good match up for Riewoldt if Hardwick is planning to play him at CHF.

Bower has been competitive on Franklin, Cloke, Kennedy and N.Riewoldt in past games.

B: Jeremy Laidler, Matthew Watson, Dennis Armfield
C: Kade Simpson, Ed Curnow, Bryce Gibbs
HF: Andrew Walker, Lachie Henderson, Kane Lucas
I/C: Shaun Hampson, Rhys Palmer, Mitch Robinson,

We really need to see a little more of recruits before we put them ahead of players that have some runs on the board like Robbo or Tex dont we? Having said that I have a feeling Watson will play round 1 and surprise many and go on to play every game. So my bad, carry on!

Aussie doesnt have the runs (not by the latest medical reports anyway :eek::D) so Watson for mine as has been put by Harks

And heres a smokey, if Riewoldt is getting away from us, switch Waite down onto him and switch (and here is the conversation stopper) JR to the forward line (FF). He played there very early on, got plenty of shots on goal but had the yips, I think he is a much better kick these days and a great mark, has pace and smarts so can lead and is a decent size, plays tall and can play the ground ball. Would also surprise I think.

I don't disagree with your proposition of seeing recruits before putting them ahead of seasoned players. I have seen Curnow play in Canberra and PP he was extremely good in and under in both games. I also saw Austin play in Canberra and he was very solid. River Rat saw him last week end in the VFL and reported favourably on his game. I like Walker but I think he is borderline ATM in terms of our 22. His game against the Crows wasn't that good. It worries me a bit that he is forever trying to take the screamer rather than playing a team position. I thought he was often off balance and therefore struggled a bit to get into it. I agree re Watson. Hell he was impressive in Canberra

B: Jeremy Laidler, Mark Austin**, Dennis Armfield
C: Kade Simpson, Ed Curnow*, Bryce Gibbs
HF: Andrew Walker, Lachie Henderson, Andy Collins
I/C: Shaun Hampson, Kane Lucas, Mitch Robinson

*It’s either Curnow or McLean for the centre position, if McLean is ready to roll he’ll be included otherwise Curnow will most likely fill the void.

**Potentially Matthew Watson or Bret Thornton could fit in somewhere here. Geelong game on the weekend should give us more of an idea. If it’s Austin or Thornton they’ll go to Riewoldt, If it’s Watson he’ll play on one of the Tigers young forwards and Bower would take Jack.

From what I have seen up to now I would have Duigan in front of Laidler if one needed to be picked.

I don't disagree with your proposition of seeing recruits before putting them ahead of seasoned players. I have seen Curnow play in Canberra and PP he was extremely good in and under in both games. I also saw Austin play in Canberra and he was very solid. River Rat saw him last week end in the VFL and reported favourably on his game. I like Walker but I think he is borderline ATM in terms of our 22. His game against the Crows wasn't that good. It worries me a bit that he is forever trying to take the screamer rather than playing a team position. I thought he was often off balance and therefore struggled a bit to get into it. I agree re Watson. Hell he was impressive in Canberra

I really hope you are right about Aussie, I dont know much about him except for the wraps he keeps getting and then never seeing him due to injury. Hope his body is right and he comes good. Would be very interesting if he does and holds the likes of Watson out. Makes the big hoohaa about how we lack KPP look a bit silly when the one that was on our list all along finally makes his mark. Anyway, its all good, I have a good feeling that our lineup is starting to settle and that we will have a break through year. It sure is getting harder each year to pick a starting 22 with the depth on every line we now have. :thumbsu:

B: Russell, Watson, Armfield
HB: Yarran, Bower, Scotland
C: Simpson, Carrazzo , Gibbs
Foll: Warnock, Judd, Murphy
HF: Walker, Henderson, Houlihan F: Garlett, Waite, Betts
I/C: Hampson, Lucas, Duigan
Sub: Robinson

- Not sure if Carrazzo and Houlihan are available for round 1 ?
- Still Jamison, Ellard and Kruezer to come in to replace Watson, Hampson and Lucas ? not too sure, we have such good depth at the moment, hard to pick a team when we have no injuries.. Then there is Mclean, dont know how he is going, but sure he will need a game in the 2's to prove himself ?
- Also a big ask to put Watson up against Riewolt, but will give him alot of experience up against him, and we dont have many full backs we can put there. Love his big left foot on him

B: Jeremy Laidler, Matthew Watson, Dennis Armfield
C: Kade Simpson, Ed Curnow, Bryce Gibbs
HF: Andrew Walker, Lachie Henderson, Kane Lucas
I/C: Shaun Hampson, Rhys Palmer, Mitch Robinson,

Rhys Palmer? I'm thinking probably not

I really hope you are right about Aussie, I dont know much about him except for the wraps he keeps getting and then never seeing him due to injury. Hope his body is right and he comes good. Would be very interesting if he does and holds the likes of Watson out. Makes the big hoohaa about how we lack KPP look a bit silly when the one that was on our list all along finally makes his mark. Anyway, its all good, I have a good feeling that our lineup is starting to settle and that we will have a break through year. It sure is getting harder each year to pick a starting 22 with the depth on every line we now have. :thumbsu:

Yeah, we do have rapidly developing depth and its going to be a heartbreaking prospect in the future leaving our favourite players out of the 22. Imagine what next year is going to be like when Watson, Mitchell and McCarthy are pressing for selection along with Kerr and possibly one or two others

B: Russell, Watson, Armfield
HB: Yarran, Bower, Scotland
C: Simpson, Carrazzo , Gibbs
Foll: Warnock, Judd, Murphy
HF: Walker, Henderson, Houlihan F: Garlett, Waite, Betts
I/C: Hampson, Lucas, Duigan
Sub: Robinson

- Not sure if Carrazzo and Houlihan are available for round 1 ?
- Still Jamison, Ellard and Kruezer to come in to replace Watson, Hampson and Lucas ? not too sure, we have such good depth at the moment, hard to pick a team when we have no injuries.. Then there is Mclean, dont know how he is going, but sure he will need a game in the 2's to prove himself ?
- Also a big ask to put Watson up against Riewolt, but will give him alot of experience up against him, and we dont have many full backs we can put there. Love his big left foot on him

IMO, It's an obsurd task to put Watson up against Riewoldt. I doubt he'll play round one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Ideal Side for Round 1 2011 + Delisting/Traded Out Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back