FOL: Shaun Hampson Brock Mclean David Ellard
INT: everyone else

B: Russell Jamison Watson
HB: Duigan Henderson Yarran, Bower
C: Simpson Judd Carrazzo
HF: Walker Thornton
F: Betts Waite Garlett
OB: Warnock Gibbs Murphy
IC/S from: Kreuzer, Armfield, McLean, Lucas, Robinson, Collins, Setanta, Houlihan, Ellard, Scotland, Joesph, Laidler etc etc etc. ...too hard, time to "fence-sit" and leave it to the selectors (worry)...lol! Seems we have depth.

Henderson, Thornton positioning is one from left field hoping Thornton does well enough at CHF/FF and thus Hendo covering out biggest weakness that kills us soooo often, CHB. Bower's no CHB. Plug that hole and it would do so much for us as the rest of the side looks strong, just looking at my very extended interchange. If it doesn't work then we'll have to revert and Thornton would probably drop out. Thornton's being tried there so i'm guessing he might get a crack there at some stage.

Watson in to cover the probable resting ruckman under the new "sub" rule. Be easier for him at present than covering a KP forward. He rebounds quickly so it gives him a chance to run off the resting ruckman too.

just focussing on the backline:

we need 7 players (includes 1 on the bench)
of these 7 we need: 2 huge talls, 2 smalls, 2 mediums, and 1 player that can play tall/small.

The talls should be Watson and Jamison
The Smalls - Duigan and Yarran
The Mediums - Russell and Laidler
And Bower can play both tall and small if need be.

of course the above is just a general outline of the backlins as sometimes Russell will play on the smalls, and Duigan on the mediums etc...
I also expect a few of those players to get a run in the midfield.
And the opositions ruckmen to be resting in their forward lines aswell.

Vesatility is the key in the backline

B: Russell Jamison Bower
HB: Duigan Watson Yarran
C: Simpson Gibbs Scotland
HF: Walker Henderson Lucas
F: Garlett Waite Betts
Foll: Warnock Judd Murphy

I/C: Armfield Hampson Robinson Laidler

Emerg: Collins Joseph White

Not my ideal team, but the side that might line up in round one. With Duigan an apparent monty for round one, Armfield is a chance to play Carrazzo's position and run with one of their midfielders. Possibly Foley after he towelled up Danyle Pearce at AAMI last year. Tempted to play Collins, but I just had to include Robinson for his grunt and Lucas for his poise and pace.
You don't think McLean or Curnow will be given a run in round 1?

You don't think McLean or Curnow will be given a run in round 1?
Robinson will play through the middle and be our in and under player. Mclean and Curnow have had interrupted pre-seasons, so they shouldn't be played before they're ready. We need to get smarter at the selection table and picked our fittest side, rather than our best side 22 on paper.

Robinson will play through the middle and be our in and under player. Mclean and Curnow have had interrupted pre-seasons, so they shouldn't be played before they're ready. We need to get smarter at the selection table and picked our fittest side, rather than our best side 22 on paper.

Agree, I wouldn;t rush McLean, want him prime for the second half of the season, I wold ease him in, the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

This is where the bummers will get caught out, they;ll run out of steam

I recon the key is to use Bower as a 3rd tall and have him play the same role O'Brien/Christou/Tom Harley played off half back. We don't want him at CHB. Best to put Mark Austin there to play a shut down role on the CHF and have Bower in a more attacking role where he can use his height, speed and ball use to play off his man, give chop outs and hunt the ball a bit more as well as cause mis matches.
Talls that can run and carry the ball like Bower are best used in a loser more attacking role.
A lot of people nameing Bower at CHB and having pretty short backlines. Just because we have more small/medium defenders doesn't mean we have to play them all. We play the right number. We play the best ones, who ever that may be. We need ti get Bower as lose as possible down back or we're robbing ourselves of drive, flexability as well as adding height back there without costing us run or mobility. Good backlines are made up of two guys who can play tall and defend strongly and one or two talls who can play small and create run and provide attacking options. Don't be suprised if Austin and Jamison are placed in KP's with Bower and either Watson or White down there as well.

I think we need to be looking at 3 talls at each end. For the backline we have Jamison, Austin, Bower and Watson although he wont be up to playing tall this year. White may come into importance with his ability to play small and tall and move it well.

In the forward line I think we're better off with Henderson, Waite and Kreuzer/Warnock resting there.
Teams like Collingwood who have many talls down back are dynamite if they are allowed to play on a smaller opponant and play off them. You need to have 3 tall forwards to make tall backlines accountable and to make them play tighter. You need 3 talls for smaller backlines to exploit their lack of height, particularly who is playing 3rd tall in a small backline. White, Austin, Casboult might come into play this season as that 3rd tall. Walker might make up that role if he holds his marks consistantly but I think Kreuzer and Warnock's forward form is the key.

Would definitely have Houllihan in the forward line if available. Our best forward setup right now..

HF Walker/Robbo Hendo Houllihan
FF Betts Waite Garlett

Fringe forwards: Kerr, Collins, Thornton, White
Robbo/Walker rotating between midfield and forwardline

Would love Yarran to be in the forwardline, but if he continues to dominate across HB they won't move him.

Still trying to work out the backline and mid situation - lots of changes.

:)

B:Bower Jamison Duigan
HB:Scotland Waite Russell
C:Simpson Judd Yarran
HF:Gibbs Henderson Garlett
F:Betts Kreuzer Walker
R:Warnock RR:Mclean R:Murphy
INT:Carrazzo,Lucas,Hampson SUB:Robinson
EMG:Houlihan,Armfield,Watson
the depth of this side is getting extremely exciting!
If we can keep that back six together we will be a top 4 contender it has all the attributes of a good defence, hardness and willingness to work for eachother and run and carry the ball. The wings are also speedy great deliverer's of the ball that don't mind going fwd. The forward line can be exciting and also hard to match up with the talls being so mobile.The midfield speaks for itself Hirdy was onto it a wee bit early with his article in 09 but now we have the midfield depth Judd,Mclean,Murphy,Carrazzo,Gibbs,Lucas,Simpson and Yarran,Walker and Betts to have a run through there that we will be a hard team to match up through the middle.
It's time for the Cream to finally rise to the top GO BLUES!!!

Stopped reading at "HB: ....Waite" :p

Too hard to pick now with players coming off injuries and form of fit players etc.

Carrazzo, Ellard, Scotland, Lucas, White, Laidler, Watson, Thornton, McLean, Curnow, Robinson and Collins are the ones I would happily have in the 22 but cant decide which to leave out :depth:

These are my locked in positions for now though:

FB: Russell, Jamison, ...
HB: Yarran, Bower, Duigan
C: Simpson, Judd, Gibbs
HF: Walker, Waite, ...
FF: Garlett, ... , Betts
R: Warnock, Murphy, ...

IC: Hampson, ... , ...
Sub: ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stopped reading at "HB: ....Waite" :p

Too hard to pick now with players coming off injuries and form of fit players etc.

Carrazzo, Ellard, Scotland, Lucas, White, Laidler, Watson, Thornton, McLean, Curnow, Robinson and Collins are the ones I would happily have in the 22 but cant decide which to leave out :depth:

These are my locked in positions for now though:

FB: Russell, Jamison, ...
HB: Yarran, Bower, Duigan
C: Simpson, Judd, Gibbs
HF: Walker, Waite, ...
FF: Garlett, ... , Betts
R: Warnock, Murphy, ...

IC: Hampson, ... , ...
Sub: ...

I can only assume Kruze is not on the list because you dont think he will make it back from injury Rd1 (neither do i)? Similarly Hendo? If both are in that team it is starting to look pretty strong.

The burning question for me is, is there room in the one team for Kruze, Knockers and Hammer. I dont think so, which is a damn shame because he is taking the right steps and being out of the 22 will slow down his progress I think. But we no longer have the comfort of waiting for developing players by playing them in the ones, its time to deliver week in week out which means you find form in the magoos.

Assuming fitness and form, and with Kruze and Hendo in the team, the next picked not already in for mine are Lucas and McLean, (and assuming Hammer goes for Kruze) which leaves just 3 spots that dont leap out.

The burning question for me is, is there room in the one team for Kruze, Knockers and Hammer. I dont think so, which is a damn shame because he is taking the right steps and being out of the 22 will slow down his progress I think. But we no longer have the comfort of waiting for developing players by playing them in the ones, its time to deliver week in week out which means you find form in the magoos.

I think there is room for these three, on the proviso that Hammer improves his marking and makes FF his own.
Warnock and Kruze rotate through the ruck, Kruze also on-the-ball, and Waite is released to the wing.

Big question also is how many "grunt" players do we go with in the middle compared to more outside players. So far we have Mclean, Carnow, Ellard, Judd, Robinson and Cachia. Then the more outside players in Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazzo, Scotland, Simpson and Lucas. Though Murphy, Gibbs and Simpson are quite capable of playing an inside role.

Big question also is how many "grunt" players do we go with in the middle compared to more outside players. So far we have Mclean, Judd, Robinson and Cachia. Then the more outside players in Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazzo, Scotland, Simpson and Lucas. Though Murphy, Gibbs and Simpson are quite capable of playing an inside role.

+ Curnow and Ellard to the grunt list.

Curnow is probably the better prospect outside of McLean.

I think there is room for these three, on the proviso that Hammer improves his marking and makes FF his own.
Warnock and Kruze rotate through the ruck, Kruze also on-the-ball, and Waite is released to the wing.

If Hammer lines up at FF and Hendo at CHF, where do you put Waite? The wing? I think he wold make an excellent wing player.

Gotta admit, I'm really struggling to work out our best side round 1. Lots of changes, lots of new players putting their hands up for selection, plus the adjustments needed for the new interchange rules. Whoever gets picked, they'll need to perform because there's plenty of talent on the sidelines. I think that's what they call depth.

Wondering if Kerr will get a run. He's had an outstanding pre-season, and was apparently good again in the VFL. Quick, and clever around goals. Don't think I've ever seen a more self-confident footballer. Maybe a round 1 option if Houllihan doesn't come up.

:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Ideal Side for Round 1 2011 + Delisting/Traded Out Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back