Puddy

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ade.Utd.SOCCER club
Who was your teams most important and best performing player of the 2000's? here is my list of best players for each team

Adelaide - McLeod (beats Rucciuto and Edwards)
Brisbane - Black (Brown injury)
Carlton - Fevola (Judd has only been at Carlton for 3 seasons)
Collingwood - Buckley
Essendon - Fletcher (more important than Hird or Lloyd imo)
Fremantle - Pavlich (beats Bell)
Geelong - Scarlett (beats Ablett and Ling)
Hawthorn - Crawford
Melbourne - Neitz (beats Yze)
North Melbourne - Harvey
Port Adelaide - Tredrea (beats Chadwick)
Richmond - Richardson (only real decent player apart from Deledio)
St. Kilda - Hayes (beats Harvey and Reiwoldt)
Sydney - Hall
West Coast - Cousins
Western Bulldogs - Johnson

My picks were not just players who had a few good seasons, but who have been great players over the majority of the decade(unless retired)

Yeah probably Neitz for us, but there's not much in it between he, James McDonald, White, Yze, Robertson, Bruce and Green.. mention Johnstone for 2-3 years... none of them genuine superstars but all fairly even in their contribution

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have Riewoldt over Hayes. 4 time AA, AA captain, 5 time B&F, Captain for 5 year and thats just the stats on paper. No-one is more important to us than Rooey and to be honest, there is daylight between him and St Leonard

This is how I rate Melbourne's best players from 2000-2009:

1. Neitz (no question about this one, best-credentialled MFC player of all time)
2. White (quality player who was always one of the leagues top 2-3 ruckmen each year)
3. Yze (early in the decade he was a consistent and classy goalkicking midfielder)
4. McDonald (two-time B&F winner who went about his business without much fanfare)
5. Robertson (excellent goalkicker and marker given his lack of height)

Green, Bruce and Davey would probably be next in line.

Who was your teams most important and best performing player of the 2000's?

most important or best performing - can be the same, but often can be different players.

during the last decade many pies fans thought while buckley was clearly best, rocca at his best was far more important to the success or not of the pies.

with that in mind.........

best performing / most important

mcleod - riccuitto
black - brown
fevola - fevola
buckley - rocca
hird - fletcher
pavlich - pavlich
ablett - scarlett
crawford - hodge
neitz - neitz
harvey - archer
tredrea - c.cornes
richardson - richardson
reiwoldt - reiwoldt
goodes - goodes
judd - cousins
johnson - johnson

Adelaide - McLeod
Brisbane - Akermanis
Carlton - Fevola
Collingwood - Burns
Essendon - Fletcher
Fremantle - Pavlich
Geelong - Scarlett
Hawthorn - Crawford
Melbourne - Neitz
North Melbourne - Archer
Port Adelaide - Tredrea
Richmond - Richardson
St. Kilda - Hayes
Sydney - Goodes
West Coast - Cousins
Western Bulldogs - West

That my choices. I guess West over Johnson is a bit controversial but I just believe West was a more important and better player. And I think Hayes will be missed a lot more than people think when he retires, as shown earlier in the year when Riewoldt went down St Kilda had other options.

Scott West 2000-2008

during this time he was

- 4 time All Australian (2000, 2004, 2005, 2006)

- won 4 of his 7 B&F's (2000, 2003, 2004, 2005)

- Top 5 in the Brownlow 4 times (2nd in 2000, 2006; 4th in 2004, 2005)

Brad Johnson a close 2nd with Chris Grant 3rd with the likes of Adam Cooney Brian Lake and Luke Darcy around the mark in the 2000's

Scott West 2000-2008

during this time he was

- 4 time All Australian (2000, 2004, 2005, 2006)

- won 4 of his 7 B&F's (2000, 2003, 2004, 2005)

- Top 5 in the Brownlow 4 times (2nd in 2000, 2006; 4th in 2004, 2005)

Brad Johnson a close 2nd with Chris Grant 3rd with the likes of Adam Cooney Brian Lake and Luke Darcy around the mark in the 2000's

Would have to disagree with you on that mate, West played for stats and didn't influence games much at all. If you took him out of the Doggies side they would still have been just as effective. Was easily replaced due to the fact his touches were usually meaningless little ones playing loose across half back while his direct opponent was most likely playing an attacking role for the opposition,. If his opponent had 15 touches they were more damaging than his 40. I never rated West I reckon he played for himself rather than the team.
Johnson was much more important for the Dogs. He played a year too long himself which was to his own detriment but up until 2008 he was a genuine star of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your teams MVP for the decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back