Your Top 50 - Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not me, it is a consensus view from the football world. Gerard Healy and Nathan Buckley both rated him the most likely to win the Coleman this year.

I rate him higher than all on that list EXCEPT Franklin, J Brown, M Pavlich and B Fevola. Most of whom have several years on him.

He is also a better power forward than M Richardson, N Riewoldt and R O'Keefe - who spend most of their time on the flank or up the ground.

You can't be serious about T Cloke, he isn't half the player Roughead is.
So Healy and Buckley's opinion forms the 'consensus view from the football world'? LMAO.
If Roughead ends up being 80% as good as Riewoldt and Richo, then he'll have done well. At the moment, he's not even close. Your rose-coloured glasses are serving you well. Leave them on.

Just a couple of comments…

your a hawthorn supporter , remember andy krakour and the other rioli they once looked like stars

Yes I am.

To compare them is just silly. Cyril is absolute class act. Premiership, second in rising star and top ten in the B&F of a flag winning team is an amazing effort.

but he doesnt get the best fullback. and sometimes not even the 2nd because he will go to buddy. so stick a scarlett or a glass and he wont look so good.

Two points on this. Firstly that is not his fault, it is simply bad luck for the opposition. Secondly, his last AFL game without Buddy was against Carlton and he kicked six. He also kicked nine in two preseason games without Buddy playing.

So Healy and Buckley's opinion forms the 'consensus view from the football world'? LMAO.
If Roughead ends up being 80% as good as Riewoldt and Richo, then he'll have done well. At the moment, he's not even close. Your rose-coloured glasses are serving you well. Leave them on.

I never suggested Healy and Buckley formed the basis of a ‘consensus’. There was a full stop in there. I simply used them as an example. Both Rucci and Sheehan put him in the top half of their lists – and Matthews described him as ‘elite in his own right’ during the GF. There is a fair list that love the man.

On the issue of rose coloured glasses you should borrow them one day. The world looks very nice indeed at the moment. ;)

He is also a better power forward than M Richardson, N Riewoldt and R O'Keefe.

Give me a break.

Have you bothered even watching anything not in brown and gold over the last decade?

You can't be serious about T Cloke, he isn't half the player Roughead is.

Roughhead take less marks, and takes significantly less contested marks, than Cloke. Which doesn't really matter all that much for a defender (who really wants their defenders going for contested marks!?), but for a forward it's a key stat. That Roughead has kicked more goals than Cloke is admirable, and reveals his worth as a second-stringer to a century goal-kicker who has consistently drawn the two best defenders each week, but merely implies that he has had more shots at goal, meaning he takes his (less) marks closer to goal.

But you are right - Cloke isn't half the player Roughead is. He's at least his equal. Obviously it's all speculation and wouldn't stand up in a court of law, but I'd imagine Cloke would've gone close to clocking up 75 goals in that Hawthorn forward line in 2008, playing 25 games as decoy to a far superior player in Franklin.

And Cloke has played one less rubbish Grand Final.

Given the criteria by which Mike's list is based, can I ask - do you honestly think any of these players will complete the season with a better reputation than Cyril Rioli?
yes, yes i do otherwise i would have put Rioli in my list wouldnt i? this is just my list im open for any criticism i may have missed some but i do believe Rioli is not in the best 50 players in the league

Based on predicted influence for 2009 and importance to their club:

1 Ablett
2 Hodge
3 Franklin
4 N. Riewoldt
5 Judd
6 Goodes
7 Joel Selwood
8 Cooney
9 Richardson
10 J. Brown
11 Harvey