2023 top 10 draft pick gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

So glad our board and match committee were aware of where our list profile was at last year and didn't do a Hawthorn and over pay for spuds like Mitchell and O'Meara. We can rebuild quickly through some high quality picks. Who's going number 1 this year? We're primed for them

So glad our board and match committee were aware of where our list profile was at last year and didn't do a Hawthorn and over pay for spuds like Mitchell and O'Meara. We can rebuild quickly through some high quality picks. Who's going number 1 this year? We're primed for them
Harley reid. Ironiclly a dusty clone to build around

Remember when GWS were into Ralphsmith and Soldo? If only we could turn back time and bundled them up instead of our future 1st. Besides we're bound to beat those tanking at the bottom surely? We could finish 13-14th maybe???? Naish won't be too high but just our luck all that bidding we've done over the years someone's gonna make us use our 2nd on him nothing surer. Maybe he can play KPF? Someone's gonna have to soon.

Dam gws gonna make like bandits twice
Not to worry, remember what the cheer squad for sending our first rounder to GWS told us. That we would be contending this year and all we'd be giving away is a pick in the mid to late teens and besides (according to some of our more vapid posters) we'd just waste it on another Lennon or RCD anyhow. Now of course it's 'well we're still right because we'd be 17th or 18th instead of 16th if we hadn't got them, so STFU'. So again don't worry even if it turns out to be top 2 or 3 pick nothing to look at here....

The way everyone is talking is that we gave up our 1st round pick(s) for 30yr Olds. Tarranto and Hopper aren't the problem and will be the core of our midifeld for the next 5-7yrs.
Yeah but are you okay if its pick 2 or even potentially pick 1? Cos it will be embarrassing when that happens. If we dont beat west coast next at home then we will truly know if we gave up pick 1. Im not so confident next week too..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is potentially going to be a big time L for the Richmond football club.

I still can’t see us finishing bottom 4 but even so….it will be very much a mid top 10 pick.
Which could ultimately mean we’ve giving up picks 5, 12, 19 & 31 for Hopper & Taranto.

That is selling a huge influx of top end draft talent for two mids…

Yeah but are you okay if its pick 2 or even potentially pick 1? Cos it will be embarrassing when that happens. If we dont beat west coast next at home then we will truly know if we gave up pick 1. Im not so confident next week too..
Do you really think we'd be in a better position with Taranto and Hopper playing for different teams? We probably lose the game to Carlton and might not have won vs the crows.

Our midfield depth would be even more exposed and we'd be saying why didn't we give more up for at least one of them.

Do you really think we'd be in a better position with Taranto and Hopper playing for different teams? We probably lose the game to Carlton and might not have won vs the crows.

Our midfield depth would be even more exposed and we'd be saying why didn't we give more up for at least one of them.
Considering where we are now I dont see that as a bad thing? We would lose a lot more short term games this this year without them, rather than being bottom/mid team with them this year - as a result we would have our first and as you say, with us losing many more games we would def have top 3 pick plus our second being early.

And this is why you don't trade future picks.

Club destroying move if it turns out being a top 2-3 pick. Hopper was not worth 2 picks, ever. Only our desperation raised his value to that. We have likely just ****ed up a big chunk of our progress since 2017 with this move if the team cant start winning

And this is why you don't trade future picks.

Club destroying move if it turns out being a top 2-3 pick. Hopper was not worth 2 picks, ever. Only our desperation raised his value to that. We have likely just ****ed up a big chunk of our progress since 2017 with this move if the team cant start winning

Considering that GWS wanted more than what we gave up; think your entire premise about our desperation is entirely incorrect.

There is no assurance at the time that the future first would ever be so low. Just as there is no assurance that anyone picked at 2-3 will be a player as good as or equal to Hopper.

There are plenty of clubs that have traded away picks that hasn’t worked out for them. There are also plenty of clubs that have taken players in the top 5 that haven’t worked out. I can’t think that it has ever been ‘club destroying’. May set you back a year (if at all) but it certainly not unsalvageable like you make out.

If I knew we’d land a top 3 pick (which I don’t think it will ultimately be), would I have still done the deal? Probably 31 wouldn’t have been required but yeah, I think this version of Hopper for 4-5 years is worth that.

We're not very good right now so you have to question the trades and list management as a whole. Time will tell, but I think the club is going to have to put their hands up and admit they got it wrong. I don't know how they looked at our list at the end of last season and thought we were 2 midfielders away from contending. I don't think it would've mattered if we added Bont and Oliver to our team (in place of Taranto and Hopper), we still wouldn't be close to contending. Maybe Dimma said that he would walk away if we don't have another crack. Perhaps a few players did too. Either way, I think it was the wrong decision.

The way everyone is talking is that we gave up our 1st round pick(s) for 30yr Olds. Tarranto and Hopper aren't the problem and will be the core of our midifeld for the next 5-7yrs.

Phil Murphy Governor GIF by GIPHY News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back