Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

If Harris is fit I would have him in before the other bowlers. Was in good form before injury and I think he adds a bit of an x-factor to the team, plus he is also handy with the bat.

I'd like to have Harris in too, tempted even before Johnson. Johnson, though for all his inconsistent line and length, at times absolutely awful, takes vital wickets at vital times. That will keep him in.

I rate Harris ahead of Hilfenhaus and equal at least with Bollinger as he adds pace, bounce, seam and real pressure, something we need. Thing is though Hilfenhaus and Bollinger haven't done anything wrong either to be changed.

White is rubbish though, there is more sense in bring Ferguson in who is better than White and younger.

Fair call on White vs Ferguson. I actually editted my original post from White/Ferguson > White purely for the reason that I thought it would be better to get Callum into the ODI side first, to easer him back in.

I'd happily take White or Fergie at #5 though.

It seems that all and sundry except the Australian selectors are screaming for changes!!!!

Watson
Hughes
Ponting (c)
Clarke
Khawaja
Finch
Paine (wk)
Smith
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus
Siddle
(12th)Mcdonald

out- North,George,Johnson,Hussy,Hauritz
in- Hughes,Khawaja,Finch,Smith,Siddle,Mcdonald(12)

I have conceded we will not make the changes required. Thus I want just one - Out Hauritz in Harris.

I think at the gabba - 4 pacemen is better than three and one awful spinner. In fact, on any pitch that is a better scenario.

The change provides slighlty more batting depth (Harris is a pretty good tailender bat), make North actually earn his fricken spot by having to be the spinner.

Watson
Katich
Ponting (c)
Clarke (vc)
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus

:thumbsu:
With the Indian test series out of the way, we can turn our attention to the Ashes. Give me your XI for the first test at the Gabba.

Here's mine:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Hughes
Paine
Smith
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Some pretty drastic changes, with Hussey, North and Hauritz being dropped, and Haddin not coming back in. I'm not too fussed about the Paine/Haddin selection, really.
:thumbsu: happy with that side,wont make to much difference which quicks get a go first,by the end of the ashes we probably would have played at least 6 of them the way injuries and bad form can happen.

Fair call on White vs Ferguson. I actually editted my original post from White/Ferguson > White purely for the reason that I thought it would be better to get Callum into the ODI side first, to easer him back in.

I'd happily take White or Fergie at #5 though.

Ferguson is the better player. You pick the best player, simple. As for easing him in, he will have played 4 games before the 1st test!

It seems Cameron White is the only player in Australian ODI history who isnt allowed into the test team on his ODI form because that is all anyone would be picking Ferguson on, definately not his first class record which is worse than Whites
You are forgetting where you are posting eddie.
The justification they use is that he has played Tests already and it doesn't matter that he was used completely wrong:rolleyes:
I swear the posters on this board get more clueless every year.

bombersno1 said:
Ferguson is the better player. You pick the best player, simple.
By what means can you make that judgement?

I personally don't mind which one gets in, I would like to see both in the Test side at some point over the summer.

But how you can say that;
A guy who hasn't played international cricket for over a year because he's been recovering from a knee injury, who averages a touch over 35 in four-day cricket & has only registered four FC hundreds in eight years on the domestic scene - and none at international level,

is categorically, without question, with absolutely no doubt in your mind a more qualified Ashes debutant than;

A guy who has experienced the pressures of Test Match cricket & all the strategic idiosyncrasies of being a captain, who averages a touch over 42 in four-day cricket & has registered 15 FC hundreds in nine years on the domestic scene - and two at international level - who is also an excellent slip fielder and can also offer some dodgy tweakers at the equivalent or better of North/Katich/Clarke's bowling,

is absolutely bewildering & I can't fathom for the life of me how you've come to think your opinion is so concrete & correct. I mean fair enough if you're comparing Matthew Hayden to Jason Arnberger...

Now I'm not saying White is a superior player to Ferguson - I actually think they're very even, Ferg was very impressive in the ODI side a year or so ago & again in the CLT20 last month - and for all I know Fergie could start at 5 for the GABBA test - and as I said that wouldn't bother me. But to state straight-up,
"I'm right you're wrong Ferg wins White loses", is just ridiculous.

why are people keen to drop Doug? Been our best performing quick since getting in the side against the windies.

I dont think they will make a useful change but probably Haddin and Dougy in for George and Paine.

My Team.

1. Watson
2. Katich
3. Ferguson
4. White (VC) (in place of M.Clarke who needs to go back and make himself a run machine like after he was dropped last time)
5. Ponting (C)
6. Usman K
7. Paine
8. Smith
9. Johnson
10. Hilfy
11. Doug the Rug.

why are people keen to drop Doug? Been our best performing quick since getting in the side against the windies.
Its an odd one, I would have Hilfy out before him, but at the GABBA the Aussies probably have their ideal pace attack with maybe a 4th seamer in place of Hauritz as they have done before

But if Australia adopt a horses for courses policy then Dougie might find himself on the outer in some later tests as could Hilfy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the Indian test series out of the way, we can turn our attention to the Ashes. Give me your XI for the first test at the Gabba.

Here's mine:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Hughes
Paine
Smith
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Some pretty drastic changes, with Hussey, North and Hauritz being dropped, and Haddin not coming back in. I'm not too fussed about the Paine/Haddin selection, really.
That is mine except i have ponting at 5 and Khawaja at 3.

Take the pressure of Rick, Khawaja is our best No.3 in AUS ATM

Good luck telling ricky he isnt batting at 3..... :) needs to happen 1 day if we want him to keep playing IMO

**** me,theres 6 players around who could replace north and hussey.for ****s sake just pick one of them or even better 2 of them.

i like ashley mallet's call for smith in/north out and smith bowling a few overs alongside hauritz. i reckon he's right that swann will be the difference. ideally i'd like to see smith in as a straight swap for hauritz but our current "selectors" would never do something so wildly radical as back a young unproven leggie against an old proven ineffective offie. the only change i can see our selectors even considering at this late stage is north out and smith/fergs or khawaja in.

people calling for kat to go before the ashes are dreaming. he and watto are the only part of our crapulent line up that seems to function reliably. he'll go after the ashes. it'll also be hussey's farewell series and hopefully ricky's aswell. love the great man but the thought of him losing a third ashes in england sucks long time.

having said that, i'd go with

watson
katich
ponting c
clarke
khawaja
ferguson
paine +
smith
johnson
hilfenhaus
bollinger

gut the middle order and flush it with new blood. dump the nervous nellies and bat deep as insurance against our new found proclivity for the collapse.

purely academic though. most likely we'll go in unchanged (bollinger back ofcourse) with a slight possiblity of a single change with north out.

By what means can you make that judgement?

Easily. Potential plays a big role in these selections. You pick the best players coupled with potential to improve, Ferguson at age of 23 (or whatever) is better than White at age 27 (28).

White at best is average as his career stats are overstated due to the ridiculous County runs he scored in Division 2!

ferguson just looks a lot more classy, and has just as good a record as wen Clarke was picked!:thumbsu:

i like ashley mallet's call for smith in/north out and smith bowling a few overs alongside hauritz. i reckon he's right that swann will be the difference. ideally i'd like to see smith in as a straight swap for hauritz but our current "selectors" would never do something so wildly radical as back a young unproven leggie against an old proven ineffective offie. the only change i can see our selectors even considering at this late stage is north out and smith/fergs or khawaja in.

people calling for kat to go before the ashes are dreaming. he and watto are the only part of our crapulent line up that seems to function reliably. he'll go after the ashes. it'll also be hussey's farewell series and hopefully ricky's aswell. love the great man but the thought of him losing a third ashes in england sucks long time.

having said that, i'd go with

watson
katich
ponting c
clarke
khawaja
ferguson
paine +
smith
johnson
hilfenhaus
bollinger

gut the middle order and flush it with new blood. dump the nervous nellies and bat deep as insurance against our new found proclivity for the collapse.

purely academic though. most likely we'll go in unchanged (bollinger back ofcourse) with a slight possiblity of a single change with north out.
i believe kat may retire on his terms after ashes leiving a bit in the tank.seems like the team man type .

Whats with the lack of love for McDonald?

I'd say most of us are scared off by the fact that he was made to look like a test number 10 in his 1 Australian test. And didn't look much better in SA.

I'd say most of us are scared off by the fact that he was made to look like a test number 10 in his 1 Australian test. And didn't look much better in SA.

His bowling has always been very tidy though. A lot of claims are made that we should give blokes more then 3 or 4 tests to prove their worth with the bat but yet McDonald is crucified with no more then that on his resume.

batting just did not step up,bowling was good.wont get another chance as he would have to get in as a bowler and that wont happen.

McDonald is too slow, he is no more than slow-medium at best. Plus he is ordinary with the bat.

May be slow but batsman find it very difficult to get him away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back