Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey (only one new player, he's just a bit better option than North)
Khawaja
Haddin (no real difference here. Haddin gets out quicker than Paine which is annoying but I'd back him to get more runs in that time than Paine will all innings. His poor-glove work was a justified slur when he first came in but it's been an undeserved one over the past year or two. Pretty much if we're relying on either of Haddin or Paine we're gonna lose anyway. btw i'm picking the one i think they'll pick here)
Hauritz
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Would drop Johnson if he starts off shit again and if Harris or even Siddle is fit and firing. Smith for Hauritz...pffffffffft. And we need a spinner, or else Ricky will be bowling Hussey and Clarke to make sure he doesn't get suspended.

I have been wondering and may be totally off the mark (usually am :p) but I do wonder if White is seen as a threat to the succession plan put in place for the test captaincy. White is the vice captain in most of the limited overs games but they dont let him captain at all as Clarkey or Punter always play but if White came into the test side and started to perform well and even outperform Clarke it could put a bit of pressure on Clarke getting the captaincy and even pressure on Ponting to give it away

But the one thing I do look at this side and not see is any real leaders, Clarke is the appointed successor to Ponting but if Ponting retired its hard to see who would be vice captain as the other leaders in the side, Katich and Hussey are very close to the end themselves

1. Shane Watson
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Usman Khawaja
5. Michael Clarke
6. Michael Hussey
7. Brad Haddin/Tim Paine (wk)
8. Nathan Hauritz
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Doug Bollinger
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

In: Khawaja (Haddin)
Out: North (Paine)

Well Eddie that's a much better conspiracy than I usually hear from the Victorian supporters! :p

But nah. Not likely. Mainly because even if White did come in and did well - and he did it before the Ponting- Clarke change-over which really should happen soon - I doubt any real talk about White as captain would happen in the media - which as we know is who decides the team.

I have been wondering and may be totally off the mark (usually am :p) but I do wonder if White is seen as a threat to the succession plan put in place for the test captaincy. White is the vice captain in most of the limited overs games but they dont let him captain at all as Clarkey or Punter always play but if White came into the test side and started to perform well and even outperform Clarke it could put a bit of pressure on Clarke getting the captaincy and even pressure on Ponting to give it away

But the one thing I do look at this side and not see is any real leaders, Clarke is the appointed successor to Ponting but if Ponting retired its hard to see who would be vice captain as the other leaders in the side, Katich and Hussey are very close to the end themselves

I thought the same. I've felt ever since Clarke got the 20/20 captaincy, even though he isn't worth a nickel as a player in the format, is that they didn't want another captain muddying the water over succession. On top of giving Clarke some shots with trainer wheels as skipper.

White was the logical choice as captain for the national 20/20 team.

There wont be major changes, you dont change sides up for the Ashes series generally unless forced by the state of play 3-4 tests in.

Thankfully there is some relatively comfortable series post-ashes for us to make some of the tough decisions in

Cam White is very highly regarded as a tactical captain and leader. If White has a cracker of a year for Victoria and makes a few good tons, it'll be interesting to test your conspiracy theory!

I think they will probably give the VC to North for a few years after Ponting retires. I imagine that's why he has been kept in the XI so long.

There wont be major changes, you dont change sides up for the Ashes series generally unless forced by the state of play 3-4 tests in.

Thankfully there is some relatively comfortable series post-ashes for us to make some of the tough decisions in

Who cares about after this series!? It would take a sh*tload of wins for me to get over losing the Ashes on home soil. Maybe if we won the world cup that would be a decent start.

Watson - Strong established presence at the top, in great form.
Hughes - Can't ignore the future.
Ponting - Still our best leader & with good batting form in India.
Katich - Will provide grit to the middle order, quality player.
Khawaja - His form warants a chance.
Clarke - Talented but out of form. Need his experience going forward.
Paine - Best WK. Skilled with the gloves & can bat in a variety of roles (he is controlled & stable in tests but in T20 for Tasmania he showcases his explosive side). Haddin is all or nothing.
Smith - Youth. Bowling not up to it yet, but neither is Hauritz anyway..
Johnson - 3rd best Paceman.
Hilfenhaus - Best Paceman.
Bollinger - 2nd best Paceman.

G. Bailey - Vastly improved batsman, energetic in the field (something we lack) & a good leader. Gets the nod over White.
Siddle - 4th best Paceman.
Hauritz - Our only spin alternative at this stage.

Note: This is highly unlikely!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares about after this series!? It would take a sh*tload of wins for me to get over losing the Ashes on home soil. Maybe if we won the world cup that would be a decent start.
I agree. Im just saying there wont be major changes for an ashes test series. The selectors have made their bed, Australian selectors for a long time have not made major changes for big series.

Regardless of result we'll hopefully see a few differences post-ashes however.

If Siddle is in the side, get on England to sweep the Ashes.
Twice the bowler that hack Cullen Bailey will ever be.
How you get off questioning others when you had him in your XI is beyond me.

Who out of the quicks will you drop? Bollinger, Hilfenhaus and Johnson are certainties. I am certianly someone that believes 3 quicks plus Watson is enough. You will need a spinner in Australia.
There's no certainties since Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist retired.

You drop Johnson, leaks runs, sprays wides, can't bat.

Would prefer Smith or O'Keefe as the allrounder & Harris or Siddle as the quick.

Katich - reliable as ever. Great at performing an anchor role. Another year left.
Hughes - his future should start now. Gun player with awesome test and f/c average. His supposed 'short ball' problems are myth and nothing more.
Watson - no reason why his form will not translate into first drop role.
Ponting - taking away the high stakes of the 1st drop might aid captaincy (something has to aid his captaincy!).
Clarke - classy batsman, well organised, plenty more runs in him.
North - would persist with him a little longer.
Haddin - offers too much from the point of view of batting depth to be dropped.
Smith - Get Tests into him now. Much more upside in the long run than Hauritz.
Johnson - a good bowling all-rounder, dangerous with the ball when his action and conditions fall in to place.
Hilfenhaus - pretty promising start. Seemed to trouble England over there more than others.
George - some will say this is nuts, but i am a fan. As tall a Garner and very accurate. Like Hughes and Smith, he is the future, so get him in now.
12th Man: Bollinger.

I think this is a good blend of experience and youth.

Of course, it will not happen, as even these fairly minor changes would be too much for AUS selectors, who are about as adventurous as a Tory at a tea-party.

Hughes (never deserved to be dropped)
Watson (arguably our most important player these days)
Katich (has the temperament to hold the entire innings together at 3)
Ponting (should bat at 4 for the sake of us winning a test, but is too stubborn)
Clarke (in my opinion he was better at 5, should still be there)
Khawaja (cannot be ignored any longer)
Paine (better keeper, more technically correct batsmen. Has Haddin covered)
Johnson (our most lethal bowler on his day. The trouble is finding that day)
Hilfenhaus (genuine swing bowler. Unluckiest bloke going around)
Bollinger (not gonna lie, I questioned his inclusion into the test side, has proven me wrong)
George (something about him in India has stuck with me, and I like him. I hope he gets an extended run because he has a bit)

It's the GABBA guys, 4 quicks + Watson is a certainty.

Twice the bowler that hack Cullen Bailey will ever be.
How you get off questioning others when you had him in your XI is beyond me.

Maybe at this stage. Siddle is rubbish, he is half the reason we lost the Ashes- always good for a boundary an over. A slower version of Tait, except Tait gets wickets regularly!

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Khawaja
Clarke
White
Paine
Johnson
Hauritz
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus

Different side, think we need a front line spinner. We have no depth in our spinning stocks, Hauritz is the best we have.
White is a MUST in IMO, North has to go. (Spoke to him the other day, doesn't think himself he'll get a game) Clarke to 5, give Khawaja a crack.

Seriously, Hughes. If he's shown some technical improvement, maybe. Why break up the best thing about our batting lineup though, our opening combination. That's an irrational move for the sake of bringing in youth. Katich looks comfortable, wouldn't want to be fiddling with the top 3 too much.

Bollinger and Hilf get the nod over Siddle at this stage.

I think at this stage it is very unlikely that we'll drop two batsmen. If it was going to happen it would have happened in NZ or India. I think North has probably saved himself regardless of what he does or doesn't think. He managed to hang on to tour India and didn't disgrace himself (OK it was one good knock, but he was a touch unlucky in both innings in the first test).

That being said, I can fully see him being turfed half way through the Ashes because he's still really vulnerable early on and looks awful at that time. Hussey will also probably keep his spot. Been shaky for a while but copped a couple of stinkers in India and if North was to go I can't see them blooding two middle order batsmen.

Our problem is that we aren't spoiled for choice when it comes to middle order batsmen at the moment. White has probably done all he can without breaking down the door and deserves the next shot, but after that you've got guys like Khawaja and Ferguson who are pretty much unproven in four day cricket. I think they'll hold off on Khawaja a little bit longer.

The bowling attack is pretty much settled. Johnson, Hilfenhaus and Bollinger are the best three quicks in the country (had to laugh at someone calling Johnson rubbish - he still takes a lot of wickets and is comfortably in our top three).

The Smith-Warne comparisons are annoying. Smith has shown nothing to suggest he's anything but a batting allrounder at this stage. He might become a fine legspinner, but at this stage he's nowhere near international quality. Warne was a once in a generation bowler who happened to work after the selectors blooded him before he was ready. If we try to apply that selection policy to every promising young player who comes along we're going to get pumped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your XI for the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back