Zaharakis hit on Nelson

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit harsh considering the precedents. Don't mind them being suspended but should have been doing so since round 1.

To be fair, most Essendon supporters that I've seen are saying exactly this. In isolation, a week for that hit is fair enough. But to be the first one to get any sort of suspension (and 2 weeks at that!) from so many similar incidents this year is just annoying.

I realise the afl are anything but consistant

but over the past month there has been numerous "the afl needs to be harder when it comes to tummy taps" articles on the afl website. Example has been made for sure, we all know how they work.

I think the Lynch/Laidler incident was the tipping point, just a fine for that wasn't a good look

Everyone wants consistency. This isn't consistency. This is a result of the MRP's mess and shows their utter ineptitude.

I don't usually get caught up in the MRP decisions, but bloody hell, all any footy follower wants is a little bit of consistency. I would of thought this would be quite an easy decision as a precedent has been set for the last part of 5 years that a gut punch wasn't a reportable offense.

The AFL has got to be the only game in the world where everyone from the fans, to the players, to the Administrators don't know exactly what the rules are. Its ,ore a case of lets just make it up as we go. Its an embarrassment.

If a gut punch was ok/ a fine in round 1 this year, it should be the same penalty until the final siren on grand final day. Make any bloody rule changes, if necessary in the pre season.

Tissue?

I'd rather see the best players work through tags rather than lash out and connect with cheap shots. I'm a big Zaha fan and he'll learn from this. Not that he may have to worry about taggers when he has support back next year.
I'd rather see shit players play the ball, seems we both can't win.

We don't know if it's consistent or not until the next gut punch happens that leaves a player vomiting on the sidelines.

The medium impact grade in this case made sense.

All gut punches from now will be heavily scrutinised to see if they are medium or low impact.

Bingo, how'd it take 4 pages to make this point, all other preceding incidents didn't leave the player off the field for 10 minutes vomiting. Those saying harden up it was only a stomach punch are you kidding? If it was off the field it'd be assault.

I'd rather see shit players play the ball, seems we both can't win.

Still 8 more games to watch your mob run around.

Nelson spewed up so Zaka got suspended.

West Coast had Yeo rubbed out last year because the other player bled in what was an otherwise pretty innocuous incident.

Bodily fluids flow, out you go because it looks bad on the telly.

Bingo, how'd it take 4 pages to make this point, all other preceding incidents didn't leave the player off the field for 10 minutes vomiting. Those saying harden up it was only a stomach punch are you kidding? If it was off the field it'd be assault.
Don't get me wrong, the AFL would've been sweating over these just waiting for a chance to rub a guy out. But the evidence is reasonably clear as as impartial as you can get from the club doctors - and more so the TV cameras.

It might be a little unlucky, but it's not really unfair.

Ok so if you vomit after a stomach punch it's a week? If it was the same punch but the player didn't vomit it's ok?

Just wanna clarify that?

Don't get me wrong, the AFL would've been sweating over these just waiting for a chance to rub a guy out. But the evidence is reasonably clear as as impartial as you can get from the club doctors - and more so the TV cameras.

It might be a little unlucky, but it's not really unfair.

Why didn't the AFL come out publicly and say they wanted to stamp this out then? What you're saying is conspiracy occurred, A bit of back room chatter about the next guy copping a week is wrong on many levels.

Why didn't the AFL come out publicly and say they wanted to stamp this out then? What you're saying is conspiracy occurred, A bit of back room chatter about the next guy copping a week is wrong on many levels.
It's the AFL not The Hague. If somethings a hot topic in the media then the AFL will be watching it.

I don't know if anyone had asked Mark Evans recently but I'm sure he would've said he's not a fan of the gut punch, and every one of them has been getting a fine and inspected closely by the MRP. This one met the criteria for medium impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so if you vomit after a stomach punch it's a week? If it was the same punch but the player didn't vomit it's ok?

Just wanna clarify that?
What the poster above me said. Thought that much was obvious. Has nothing to do with the vomiting, but if you have to leave the field, it's obvious he was struck harder than all the other incidents

I don't see the inconsistency a lot of the posters in this thread are talking about.

Is the AFL supposed to treat all body punches the same, regardless of impact?

If some spud on the opposing team cracks your star player's ribs and leaves him unable to play out the game and then misses a week, does he only cop a fine because it's a body shot?

Of course not.

The fact is, none of the gut punches this season have had the level of impact Zaha's did.

If he wanted to get away with a fine, maybe he should have taken his frustration out on a bigger, older bloke.

Should have asked you to put up some cash.

They've accepted

It's inconsistent based on some other incidents this year that have only incurred a fine. But that's what happens when you don't use precedent. You're almost guaranteed to lack consistency. The other issue is that the AFL's move to fine players for these type of acts has had the effect of encouraging players to gut punch a lot more. The AFL had to act as the number of players punching their opponent in the gut had, in my opinion, increased quite a bit.

Given how worried the AFL is about the image of the game and how they're always going on about how the kids mimmick their heroes, I can't understand why they have been so soft on punching. Punching is illegal. It's a very specific act. It's not like bumping, which is legal if done properly. Punching off the ball is never legal. Make it a one week penalty minimum. Once you have been deemed to have punched someone, you get a week. No insufficient force, no medical reports, you just look at the tape and if you can say yes, that's a punch, then you get a week. Then you work up from there depending on the force. Players will do whatever they think they can get away with. If they are sure there is a one week penalty minimum, most will refrain from punching. Some hotheads will still do it, but at least they won't be wondering whether or not there will be a penalty. The AFL and the MRP tell the players where the line is and the players play accordingly.

Make it simple and clear cut and everyone will be the better for it. And if you're worried about losing a Brownlow medalist, there's more chance of that happening with the arbitrary way these incidents are adjudicated now than if it was more black and white.

I guess he found a pressure point that no other player throwing punches has ever found. Zaharakis should be suspended, too dangerous.

Anyone who watches MMA has seen UFC fighters dropped from a single body blow before.
I guess the are pissweak too?

Posters on here that had a decent amount of fights in their younger days can probably empathise as they've probably been 'gutted' before, I know I have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Zaharakis hit on Nelson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back