FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

Has it been mentioned the the US Governor General has ordered another season of the Wire? :)

Obviously a joke but still pretty awesome.

GG is wrong. Love this show so much but it ended perfectly. Future seasons might be good but then they might be like the rolling stones in the 80's or season 3 of breaking bad. There is a time to just stop and i think the wire has reached it.

A mate introduced me to this at the start of the year, roughly. Told me it was the best TV series he'd ever seen and he'd personally whup me if I didn't watch it. Figured it was an offer I couldn't refuse, so I downloaded the first season on torrents.

It had roughly the same effect on my life that GTA:SA did on PS3 - that of total consumption. I put a lot of hours into it, basically watched every episode end on end. It is, in my eyes, the perfect television series. There are no such things as bad characters - just good characters that make you hate them.

I could quote it for hours upon end. There are not enough superlatives to describe just how good it is. I wish it never ended.

Even now, I've started watching Breaking Bad. And from the very first minute of the first episode, I said to myself in my head - "This might turn out alright, but I still miss the Wire. I miss McNulty and his friends."

As for my favourite quote?

"Makes me sick, mother****er, how far we done fell."

Also, this. Do not watch this video if you haven't watched all 5 seasons, as there are spoilers galore.

[youtube]-Sgj78QG9Bg[/youtube]

"You gotta think why we got into this game, Avon. Was it so our names could ring out on some ghetto ****in' street corner man, nah man, there's games beyond the ****in' game!"

And the follow up.

[youtube]TFh2f7rNAEI[/youtube]

loved this quote from Prop Joe from the West v East bball game:

Avon: Ayo what's up playboy? How come you wearin' that suit, B? For real its 85 flipping' degrees out here and you try'na be like flipping' Pat Riley

Prop Joe: Look the part, be the part, motherfuker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who you tellin'? I got mother****in' nephews and in-laws ****ing all my shit up all the time and it ain't like I can pop a cap in their ass and not hear about it Thanksgivin' time. For real, I'm livin' life with some burdensome *******.

"Omar had one of them commando squads with him, man. I mean, he had this one ho' pulling guns out her pussy, unc! The shit was unseemly, man."

remake__the_wire_animated_by_paulsizer-d3i7z4q.jpg

Ain't enough y'all done violated the Sunday morning truce. No, I'm standing here holding a torn-up church crown of a bona fide colored lady. Do you know what a colored lady is? Not your moms, for sure. 'Cause if they was that, y'all would've known better than that bullshit. Y'all trifling with Avon Barksdale reputation, you know that?"

I'm watching Boardwalk Empire the other night and the thought that pops into my head is:

"This is not as good as The Wire".

The Wire has ruined television for me.

I'm watching Boardwalk Empire the other night and the thought that pops into my head is:

"This is not as good as The Wire".

The Wire has ruined television for me.

I believe this is the standard response to television series after watching The Wire.

Well I am about to start watching this for the first time, looking forward to it!

If I could ask of you one thing, it would be that you post your thoughts in this thread after you finish each season.

The Wire hasn't ruined TV for me, but it does seem to be that way for a lot of people.

I think it's clearly the best drama series there ever was, but most shows aren't trying to achieve things that The Wire was, it's really difficult to compare it to Mad Men, for example. I mean, sure they're both dramas, but it's hard to criticise Mad Men for not doing things similar to The Wire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back