Player Watch #30 Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Best sign for me was a crucial late spoil near D50 that required him to risk injury to make it … there have been question marks on his hardness so amongst many other positives that stood out for me.

The other thing I love is JVR averaging 8.7 touches, 2.8 marks and 1.2 goals per game - all down on his debut season. I think JVR will be a player, but he’s nearly 21yo. 3-months older than Amiss who is averaging 8.7, 3.7 marks and 2.3 goals per game.

I’d still take JVR given our needs, but it may not be the disaster everyone panicked about.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Amiss is a gun.... Freos future

Best sign for me was a crucial late spoil near D50 that required him to risk injury to make it … there have been question marks on his hardness so amongst many other positives that stood out for me.

The other thing I love is JVR averaging 8.7 touches, 2.8 marks and 1.2 goals per game - all down on his debut season. I think JVR will be a player, but he’s nearly 21yo. 3-months older than Amiss who is averaging 8.7, 3.7 marks and 2.3 goals per game.

I’d still take JVR given our needs, but it may not be the disaster everyone panicked about.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Given our needs, 100% but he could take over the Broad or Grimes roll in time. Kid has beautiful disposal and he knows it as well which is a massive plus as well. Quickly becoming my favourite player.

Miller kicks long too, hit up a a player coming out of defence that switched play. It felt like a game plan , that required skills. Shifted Sydney around a bit.

coupla options.

Short used to be amazing, feels like his long kicking isn't hitting targets like it used to...which is not completely on Short. Having his leg on the wing would be insane.

Mind you I'm not sacking any player yet.
Short doesn’t seem to be taking as many kick ins, maybe they like to spot up him or Rioli 30-40 m out with the first kick ie the safe option to going long. That way you have the ball in good hands for the next kick.
Also I noticed yesterday in general play Shorty seemed to be blazing away a bit. Trying to kick the cover off it!!
Great to have Rioli, Brown, Miller and Short all using the ball well out of the back half. Hopefully Brown ends up being one of the elite distributors in the competition. Meters gained off hb up with the best. It’s the reason we got him

Short doesn’t seem to be taking as many kick ins, maybe they like to spot up him or Rioli 30-40 m out with the first kick ie the safe option to going long. That way you have the ball in good hands for the next kick.
Also I noticed yesterday in general play Shorty seemed to be blazing away a bit. Trying to kick the cover off it!!
Great to have Rioli, Brown, Miller and Short all using the ball well out of the back half. Hopefully Brown ends up being one of the elite distributors in the competition. Meters gained off hb up with the best. It’s the reason we got him
Even looking at our meters gained stat for the game it used to be Short leading by a significant amount, daylight and maybe Dusty but yesterday we had

Bolton with 690m
Taranto 586m
Vlossy 577m
Pickett 540m

Short 355m but still has Baker, Mansell Rioli and Campbell in front of him

Seems like a deliberate plan for our backs to use Shorter kicking and try it get into the hands of our mids who have more of a licence to go for the longer kicks

Wouldn't mind him on the wing if his running capacity was good enough
I have thought the same, but agree that he wouldn’t have the running capacity and I think with a number of our medium tall defenders in the twilight of their careers, it’s important to get games into Brown in the back half.
Banks seems to be earmarked for the wing. Not sure at this stage, I think Tresize and Smith are better players, whether they are capable of playing the wing role is another thing. It’s a pretty tough role, lot of gut running that often goes unrewarded

Even looking at our meters gained stat for the game it used to be Short leading by a significant amount, daylight and maybe Dusty but yesterday we had

Bolton with 690m
Taranto 586m
Vlossy 577m
Pickett 540m

Short 355m but still has Baker, Mansell Rioli and Campbell in front of him

Seems like a deliberate plan for our backs to use Shorter kicking and try it get into the hands of our mids who have more of a licence to go for the longer kicks
Good call, that definitely seems to have changed under Yze.

Coming along nicely. He is a class act. May not be as spectacular as JVR but I think he is a better footballer. Just needs time and needs his body to get stronger. Can clearly see why we picked him.

Let's not say outrageous stuff like this. He's not as good as JVR and likely never will be. But he could be a decent to good footballer in his own right .

He cracked in which was good. Often the kids coming through as exceptional kicks can be on the softer side because they’ve gotten by on their skills (think early days Houli)

That doesn’t seem to be the case for him

I have thought the same, but agree that he wouldn’t have the running capacity and I think with a number of our medium tall defenders in the twilight of their careers, it’s important to get games into Brown in the back half.
Banks seems to be earmarked for the wing. Not sure at this stage, I think Tresize and Smith are better players, whether they are capable of playing the wing role is another thing. It’s a pretty tough role, lot of gut running that often goes unrewarded
Which is why the continual bagging of Kmac and Pickett is unwarranted. Yes, they are getting on but they run their guts out every single week playing a role many on here don’t seem to appreciate the difficulty of. Many posters saying just play D Rioli there, or Brown, or Sonsie, or Banks, or even Ross who’s been okay in that role, and many others but none of them have the tank or toughness for that role.
I agree that Pickett and Kmac will need replacing soon, but if they are still the best credentialed for the role, they play, and clearly they are as they have been selected and play the role most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kick to Lynch in the last is by Young but still love the confidence Brown has to hit bullet passes. That one to Balta, if it's Short or Grimes or Miller it's a long high bomb to a contest, but Brown actually tries to hit him lace out and kick to his advantage.

Which is why the continual bagging of Kmac and Pickett is unwarranted. Yes, they are getting on but they run their guts out every single week playing a role many on here don’t seem to appreciate the difficulty of. Many posters saying just play D Rioli there, or Brown, or Sonsie, or Banks, or even Ross who’s been okay in that role, and many others but none of them have the tank or toughness for that role.
I agree that Pickett and Kmac will need replacing soon, but if they are still the best credentialed for the role, they play, and clearly they are as they have been selected and play the role most weeks.
Agree it’s a hard role.
Kmac can make you pull your hair out at times, but he’s a running Machine that can give the backs a chop out in the air with his height. Selfless player.
Always laugh when I go to the game and watch him, he’s an eccentric character. His manning the mark, where he looks at the umpire, gesturing with his hands to call play on is bloody hilarious and unique.
Pickett I find very hot and cold, decision making questionable, but when switched on a match winner.

Let's not say outrageous stuff like this. He's not as good as JVR and likely never will be. But he could be a decent to good footballer in his own right .
It’s not outrageous! The guy has been greatly affected by injuries. How can you say that he won’t be as good? He has great footy IQ and beautiful disposal. JVR has been completely injury free and so has developed faster. Give him another season or so before you make the outrageous statements!

Why have Brown out on the wing where you say that a lot of gut running out there often goes unrewarded...
Brown has a lethal kicking foot...need to get max value from him and that kicking foot...either off HBF...or maybe trialed at HFF...

Why have Brown out on the wing where you say that a lot of gut running out there often goes unrewarded...
Brown has a lethal kicking foot...need to get max value from him and that kicking foot...either off HBF...or maybe trialed at HFF...
Nah, he’s gonna be a gun defender

Well one thing is for sure, when they said he was an elite kick they weren’t taking the piss

Absolutely unbelievable some of those kicks he’s pulled off in his short career

Contested side is improving every week as well

Well one thing is for sure, when they said he was an elite kick they weren’t taking the piss

Absolutely unbelievable some of those kicks he’s pulled off in his short career

Contested side is improving every week as well
He already looks like a 100 gamer to me
So composed and seems to have to all already.

He already looks like a 100 gamer to me
So composed and seems to have to all already.
Can’t reply… currently watching this on repeat to get myself into the mood for the wife

Errol Gulden and Josh Daicos cause some damage there.

Our forwards would kill to have Tom Brown delivering to them inside 50.

HFF or outside mid but not sure he has the pace could be a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back