Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t let Barrass, McGovern or Hurn intercept mark. That has to be his whole job description.

I don’t care if he doesn’t get a kick, as long as he can crash packs and not let them out mark us defensively.
He did a good job against Blicavs last week which allowed guys like Luko and Chol to have a free run at it. We need more of that from him tomorrow against West Coast's interceptors, as you say. I have faith in Levi.

Can’t believe we didn’t go with sexton. He’s the only one that can kick goals of our poor f50 entries
The ball will be coming in a lot cleaner because Luko will often be involved in the link up. Even if it does come in ugly, we've got Casboult to crash packs now and bring it to ground for our crumbers like Ainsworth, Holman and Rankine. Our forward line is going to function very differently this year and that lowers the need for a guy like Sexton. Having said that, Secco will get his chance at some point throughout the year either through injury or poor form

We know there's currently a 50% cap on crowds in Perth but there's a report in the West Australian paper that the Eagles are struggling to even sell 30,000 tickets at the moment. That's great for us! The less West Coast fans in the crowd to influence umpiring decisions, the better. This is obviously the best opportunity we've ever had to beat West Coast in Perth and I think the boys will really relish the opportunity tomorrow by getting our season off to the best possible start. Not only should we win, we should win well and place ourselves comfortably inside the top 8, potentially even the top 4. You could even go as far as to say we should set up a top 4 clash against the Demons next week!

But let's just get the W before we start thinking about that stuff.

On paper, our strengths appear to line-up with West Coasts weaknesses.
We want to be quick, with our smalls moving it quick through the hands through the middle. West Coast on the other hand will want to slow it down at all costs and control the ball and sit back and hope we bomb it long.

If we are smart enough to figure out we need to lower our eyes inside 50, it will largely negate McGoverns intercepting and SHOULD be a win. Play into their hands though and it will be very tough.

I can see a scenario where we go in at half-time tearing our hair out because we waste inside 50 after inside 50 and refuse to adapt.

If we are smart enough to figure out we need to lower our eyes inside 50, it will largely negate McGoverns intercepting and SHOULD be a win. Play into their hands though and it will be very tough.
We can't just constantly bomb it inside 50 like we have in the past. It's not going to work. It never does.

As you say, lower the eyes and find a target when it's there. I think we'll see Ainsworth being the guy that most often leads and marks the ball inside 50 because Casboult will likely be restricting McGovern movement to some degree and I'm guessing Barrass will take Chol. Luko is the wildcard and unknown quantity that could take multiple marks inside 50 or none. Anyway, it shouldn't take too much lowering of the eyes to decrease McGovern's influence on the game. McGovern has absolutely killed us in the past but I feel it's going to be different this time around.

Hello guys. Can anyone update me on whats going on with E.Hhollands? Will he be playing anytime soon? Asking for supercoaching purposes 😊 thanks

Hello guys. Can anyone update me on whats going on with E.Hhollands? Will he be playing anytime soon? Asking for supercoaching purposes thanks

Give him a month in the vfl to get some form and he’ll be ripe

I don't understand DMac and Holman in the same team unless the match committee is prioritising mongrel
Maybe they are
They did this when we had Aaron Young.

Young Dmac Holman would all just try and lay 8 tackles each it worked early on but then they dropped off

They did this when we had Aaron Young.

Young Dmac Holman would all just try and lay 8 tackles each it worked early on but then they dropped off
Someone still has to kick the goals
It probably speaks more to the mindset in the Club which starts with defence and no more 100 point thrashings

This is gold. Today in Perth :heart: (Jeffa, FB)

275995948_4966388573441562_4730066903454174467_n.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m nervous. Gonna be a long ass day.
The fact that it's a Sunday night game makes it so much worse. Google suggests it will be cloudy and 26 degrees with 60% humidity in Burswood around 4:00pm. Wind may be a factor too with a predicted 31km/h blowing north-east.

All we can do is try to keep the optimism up throughout the day! Just over six hours to go until the first bounce...

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back