Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. Weller going back would’ve taken his role and spot I guess.

Not going to get easier once Buddas finds his feet again either. Building some depth and a bloody quick backline.
Lucky for Buddas he's a gun and can play anywhere, played forward in his draft year and averaged 8 tackles..... could replace Dmac one day. But yes in an ideal world Budda is our 7th defender

On insta they have a little clip, what excites you for rd 1 (and I could be jumping at shadows here) but Corbett says Caleb Graham taking clunks

Eagles going with a very tall backline. Shortest starter is 189. Ranks, Ainsworth and whoever else we go with could have an absolute day out if there is enough stoppages inside 50s

My guess would be Graham, Fiorini, Davies, Macpherson with Flanders sub for final bench.

Moyle and Burgess on hand in case one of the talls go down.

Although I would be tempted to play Sexton given we don’t really know where our goals will come from. He can go missing, but he is also capable of kicking 5 if we can scrap the ball in there which looks like the plan.

My guess would be Graham, Fiorini, Davies, Macpherson with Flanders sub for final bench.

Moyle and Burgess on hand in case one of the talls go down.

Although I would be tempted to play Sexton given we don’t really know where our goals will come from. He can go missing, but he is also capable of kicking 5 if we can scrap the ball in there which looks like the plan.
I would have the same interchange, possibly Sexton as a sub.

If midfield provides supply, it really does not matter who scores. I suspect it will be collective effort for the most of season. Just hoping we convert our opportunities.

Looking at Eagles midfield, we should have clear advantage there. If we dominate in the middle as we should we will win comfortably.

Last edited:
Personally I would play Sexton at least on the bench. He’s a proven goal scorer, and has been for years. Just use him as a finisher. If we insist on playing McPherson (who only really tackles with an occasional goal and some questionable kicking) then we should consider Sexton for his pros too (only really scores with an occasional tackle and some selfish choices). We were the lowest ranked team in the league for goals last year. How about we play some goal kickers and trust our midfield to improve their supply to our forward line.

In my mind, Sexton can win us the game on his own in some matches, while someone like McPherson can save it through pressure.

But no team looks at McPherson and is scared—he tackles, but they aren’t crunching tackles like Holman, Lemmens or Swallow. However, players like Sexton and Rankine, despite their flaws, will scare defenders if they get the ball near goal a half a dozen times each a game. We need the balance of both to be a threat.

The only way we lose this game is if it is a 65 - 55 type score line.
If we kick 12 goals, I can't see us losing.

I think you could bank on 1-2 goals from Sexton - I'd select him.
Davies can give some aerial support in the forward line, even play a defensive stopper type role on a Shannon Hurn.
Fiorini is a definite in.
They could select Burgess for some flexibility as we might need an extra tall back of forward depending on how Eagles line up - they have a lot of extra talls on the extended bench, although I suspect Graham gets the nod.

This would be my team.

B: D.Swallow 24 S.Collins 25 S.Lemmens 23
HB: L.Weller 14 C.Ballard 10 W.Powell 27
C: J.Sharp 20 T.Miller 11 B.Ellis 4
HF: N.Holman 7 L.Casboult 30 J.Lukosius 13
F: I.Rankine 22 M.Chol 1 B.Ainsworth 9
Foll: J.Witts 28 M.Rowell 18 N.Anderson 15
I/C: A.Davies 5 B.Fiorini 8 C.Graham 46 A.Sexton 6 - S.Flanders 26 (sub)

Personally I would play Sexton at least on the bench. He’s a proven goal scorer, and has been for years. Just use him as a finisher. If we insist on playing McPherson (who only really tackles with an occasional goal and some questionable kicking) then we should consider Sexton for his pros too (only really scores with an occasional tackle and some selfish choices). We were the lowest ranked team in the league for goals last year. How about we play some goal kickers and trust our midfield to improve their supply to our forward line.

In my mind, Sexton can win us the game on his own in some matches, while someone like McPherson can save it through pressure.

But no team looks at McPherson and is scared—he tackles, but they aren’t crunching tackles like Holman, Lemmens or Swallow. However, players like Sexton and Rankine, despite their flaws, will scare defenders if they get the ball near goal a half a dozen times each a game. We need the balance of both to be a threat.

I cant understand everyone's desire to leave Sexton out of this team. We need goals. And our forward line is perfect for a crumbing small forward...

It's all about the midfield pressure. Tackle hard and often. Show a hardness, and desire to win the ball at all costs.

We win the contested centre clearances, we win the game.

The eagles are an on-field mess - 26 fit players is it?

This should be the season starter we dream of.

If we want to play finals, we need to win these type of games.

It's that simple.

Suns by 24 pts.

I cant understand everyone's desire to leave Sexton out of this team. We need goals. And our forward line is perfect for a crumbing small forward...
I think most of us would prefer Sexton over DMac as the 7th forward. It just feels like the coaching team are leaning the opposite way for whatever reason.

I am happy to leave it up to selection committee. It seems to me it's all about 22 players playing for each other as a team and playing their roles regardless of stats. Is Macpherson pressure, better defence more important for the team than Sexton scoring ability? It looks like.

Personally, I would play Flanders but what do I know.

If midfield does not provide sufficient and efficient supply it does not really matter who plays forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am happy to leave it up to selection committee. It seems to me it's all about 22 players playing for each other as a team and playing their roles regardless of stats. Is Macpherson pressure, better defence more important for the team than Sexton scoring ability? It looks like.

Personally, I would play Flanders but what do I know.

If midfield does not provide sufficient and efficient supply it does not really matter who plays forward.

If the midfield is providing sufficient supply it absolutely matters who plays forward and I would rather a proven finisher, and I will add, we weren't shopping Sexton around during last years trade period.

If the midfield is providing sufficient supply it absolutely matters who plays forward and I would rather a proven finisher, and I will add, we weren't shopping Sexton around during last years trade period.
As I said, I can only assume Sexton deficiencies most probably hurt him in selection.

Not sure why would Suns shop Sexton. He is around best 22, loves club, mature body. Good to have a depth. We need 32-33 players AFL level to compete, have a shot.

Last edited:
Ryan out.

The West Coast Eagles advise forward Liam Ryan (AFL Health and Safety Protocols) has been withdrawn from Sunday’s team to face Gold Coast at Optus Stadium.

Ryan has been replaced in the 26-man squad by COVID Contingency List player Declan Mountford.

West Coast will confirm its final 22 and four emergencies for the Suns clash at 2pm (AWST) on Friday.

Ryan out.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Final side

B:24. David Swallow25. Sam Collins23. Sean Lemmens
HB:14. Lachie Weller10. Charlie Ballard27. Wil Powell
C:20. Jeremy Sharp11. Touk Miller4. Brandon Ellis
HF:7. Nick Holman30. Levi Casboult13. Jack Lukosius
F:22. Izak Rankine1. Mabior Chol9. Ben Ainsworth
FOLL:28. Jarrod Witts18. Matt Rowell15. Noah Anderson
INT:5. Alex Davies8. Brayden Fiorini46. Caleb Graham
44. Darcy Macpherson
EMG:29. Chris Burgess26. Sam Flanders49. Ned Moyle
6. Alex Sexton

Final side

B:24. David Swallow25. Sam Collins23. Sean Lemmens
HB:14. Lachie Weller10. Charlie Ballard27. Wil Powell
C:20. Jeremy Sharp11. Touk Miller4. Brandon Ellis
HF:7. Nick Holman30. Levi Casboult13. Jack Lukosius
F:22. Izak Rankine1. Mabior Chol9. Ben Ainsworth
FOLL:28. Jarrod Witts18. Matt Rowell15. Noah Anderson
INT:5. Alex Davies8. Brayden Fiorini46. Caleb Graham
44. Darcy Macpherson
EMG:29. Chris Burgess26. Sam Flanders49. Ned Moyle
6. Alex Sexton

D-Mac has a lot to prove, especially with Sammy and Secko waiting in the wings. Other then that, a good side!

Unfortunately Dew has put a line through secco’s name for years due to his defensive output, and that rarely changes.

Very rarely do small forwards actually consistently kick goals, yet Sexton continues to almost kick 1 a game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Eagles got 7 players over 195cm. Good we play Graham, I think.

Defence: H Edwards 200, Barras 196, McGovern 196, Rotham 193
Forward/ruck: Naitanui 201, B Williams 199, Kennedy 196, Dixon 196, Waterman 191

Defence: Ballard 196, Collins 194, Graham 195
Forward/ruck: Witts 209, Chol 200, Lukosius 195, Casboult 201

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back