Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. We don't have a complete set of replacement waiting. Poor coaching.

If only our useless coach had had the foresight to instigate a program years ago where each player had to be able to play in two positions to get time in the seniors.

oh ... Wait ....
I think you have misunderstood what I was saying.
We don't have a set of replacements for key talls. No team does, big athletic guys that can play footy don't grow on trees. My response was aimed at bringing in a tall who isn't up to the level, rather than bringing in someone who is up to the level we need them to be and changing the structure to suit.

That first quarter was actually a good example of how a midfield can be beaten but still keep pressure levels up to force less than optimal forward entries. The commentators criticised Sydney for the way they kicked the ball inside 50 but we forced some of that with actual or perceived pressure around the footy. That then let our defence go to work in circumstances which at least gave them a 50/50 chance....and they duly performed.

Contrast that to the 3rd quarter where we didn't win the footy and we didn't apply enough pressure. And our defence copped both quantity and quality forward entries.

It's a pretty simple game sometimes. Win the footy or, if you don't, make sure your opposition knows you're around. You can't win the contested ball or the clearances all game. The opposition will get a share of the footy at some point. But you can apply pressure all game, if you have the system, fitness and desire. I think our system is fine, we've built our fitness and, for the first time, I think we saw the desire.
I think a lot of players make uncharacteristic fumbles or mistakes against us, the media seems to look at it like we are lucky rather than a pattern stemming from our pressure most of the time.

Just watched afl.com the ten. The only lions clip was that flying mark against Coleman

How pathetic is that - genuine contenders play in one of the best games in the round, which was tight for most of the game, but we did nothing of particular note.
To be honest what would you have included from our game in the 10?

How wasn't Hayward sighted for his hit on Richy; way more dangerous than Mitch's bump on that Port player. You cant help but think that reputations and hard men such as Micth are held to a different standard. Im genuinely confused and if Im Mitch, I think you can be pretty angry.

Answerth gave him a fair shove into Richy. MRO got it right.

Remember when we had an exodus of young players at the end of every year, struggled to keep the margin below 60, couldn’t attract more than 15k at our home ground, had a butter as our major sponsor, and a head coach throttling players.

Now we’re worried about our top 2 team not having any plays in the afl.com top 10, and our first round pick next year being too good.

What a time to be alive.

Last edited:
Nice to see Harris Andrews in form. When the game is played on his terms, there's not a more dominant defender in the comp.
And yet he wasn’t the tall defender moved on to Buddy when Gardiner was getting pantsed. It was Adams, with the same results.

Buddy has a very poor reputation as a contested marking tall forward, and yet he was clunking them over Gardiner and Adams.

So why wasn’t our tallest tall defender moved on to Buddy when Fagan made a change.

Adams is equally adept at intercept marking, as Andrews, playing as the loose tall defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought our setup was excellent last night. We got thrashed down back when Sydney got through the front of the stoppage but, any time when our midfield broken even or better, our defence was superb.

I think defenders often get punished for the sins of the midfield. No backline stopping Sydney in that third quarter.
That happens with all teams, and that’s when the defence is supposed to stand up.

We didn’t need to stop Sydney, we just needed to stop Buddy. It’s not like we were being worked over by a multifaceted forward line. We were being out marked by a notoriously poor marker.

If not referencing that period, then the defence was otherwise superb IMO.
It was.

I think he's talking about the set up and structure against a team with a genuinely tall forward mix which the Swans didn't have ,where we have struggled a bit in the past.

Anyway we'll wait to hear.
I was referencing that period, and extrapolating out to if we ever have to face a forward line with multiple, genuine forward targets.

And yet he wasn’t the tall defender moved on to Buddy when Gardiner was getting pantsed. It was Adams, with the same results.

Buddy has a very poor reputation as a contested marking tall forward, and yet he was clunking them over Gardiner and Adams.

So why wasn’t our tallest tall defender moved on to Buddy when Fagan made a change.

Adams is equally adept at intercept marking, as Andrews, playing as the loose tall defender.

He was taking the guy who was too tall for the others and on whom he could still read and react on. Maintained our structure. I dare say if Adams continued to struggle they would have swapped but eventually they got him under control.

FWIW it was this type of situation why I like Payne in there. He has the size and pace that Gardiner and Adams do not and would add a dynamic that we currently do not have. I accept though that it is hard to force 4 into three positions.

That happens with all teams, and that’s when the defence is supposed to stand up.

We didn’t need to stop Sydney, we just needed to stop Buddy. It’s not like we were being worked over by a multifaceted forward line. We were being out marked by a notoriously poor marker.

Confirmation bias is rampant here. Ever consider the fact that the Sydney forward line didn't appear multifaceted because our defence were doing a good job on the rest of them?

It really feels like you have a view and then interpret the evidence in a way that fits it. It's meant to be the other way around.

We've got about as good a defence as we could have from the players on our list.

Sure it's not exactly what we would want in a perfect world. And we don't have a Gawn and Jackson floating across half back to bolster your defences when the ball's in the air.

I find it a weird take especially because our defence has been pretty solid all year against both talls and small and that’s hardly a radical take. We’ve spent a number of games trailing in clearances and I50 differentials but have rarely been in serious danger despite our shortcomings (which are improving) in midfield defensive running. I don’t know this for a fact but I’d expect we compare reasonably well in scores conceded per inside 50 despite the defence being left unprotected at times.

EDIT: yep we’re going alright

A generationally brilliant forward having a hot patch on his home ground is funny evidence to cite to the contrary.

Buddy has a very poor reputation as a contested marking tall forward

We were being out marked by a notoriously poor marker.

You mean the guy that only had two contested marks for the game?

Buddy has always been a good mark on the lead, and good at opening up space on the lead with a shove off on his opponent. He's not good at taking marks in a pack, and he didn't really do that as part of how he tore us a new one. Instead he just did what he always does and does well.

You're taking a reputation and expanding it to be a bigger problem than it is. The bigger issue would be matching up Buddy's strength with someone able to recover quicker or hold their spot better than Gardiner, which is why Adams was a better situation (and funnily enough why Robertson has matched up well on Buddy previously).

Answerth gave him a fair shove into Richy. MRO got it right.
The Port player was pushed by Starc so whats the difference?

In an ideal world, the MRO person should be provided games where club jumpers and the players are greyed out (I know what I mean in my head, not sure its quite come out right) so there decisions are impartial and free of bias b/c in my view Robbo has been judged harshly on who he is or even the Lions for that matter over the years. I mean would Cotchin have gotten off years ago from that PF if the person making the decision had no idea who it was. I dont think so but then again, im not sure the AFL would not want to be able to not fiddle with things so it gets its way.

I was referencing that period, and extrapolating out to if we ever have to face a forward line with multiple, genuine forward targets.
The worst of it was during that 4 goal blitz, under the 6,6,6 set up we were especially vulnerable because after each bounce they won the clearance.

Need to watch the replay but my recollection is it wasn't until we finally won a centre clearance that we were able to arrest the momentum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back