Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

5. Beware the total demolition of the list​

North Melbourne stripped its list over the past two off-seasons and the unanswerable question for them now is how long is the road back to contention? AFL great Leigh Matthews believes stripping the list like North did poses a problem because it’s so difficult to get out of the bottom part of the ladder when you do it. So, how will West Coast play it? Channel 7’s Adam Cooney had a bold plan which is akin to stripping a list via trading out and bringing in draft picks. He suggested Essendon go after Elliot Yeo, Collingwood target Jack Darling, Jeremy McGovern to the Western Bulldogs and Andrew Gaff to Fremantle, and he’d offload Nic Nat too, but says no club would pick up his salary. It’s food for thought from Cooney. Clearly, the Eagles would get a bunch of first and second-round draft picks for their best players, which would seriously aid the rebuild. But would the Eagles treat their champs with such disdain at the back-end of their careers? And does culture count? The practicalities are sound – move them out and bring in kids – but footy remains more than a business. Or does it?

6. Luck of the draw​

Every team plays each other once and then it’s a lucky dip, somewhat, to which teams you double up. The advantage of playing lowly West Coast and North Melbourne twice this year could be the difference in playing finals or missing them — or finishing in our out of the top four. West Coast’s double-up teams are Adelaide, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast and Richmond. North Melbourne’s double ups are Adelaide, Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Sydney. That’s arguably an eight-point handout to the Cats and, in a tight season, that’s a hell of a leg up.

6. Luck of the draw​

Every team plays each other once and then it’s a lucky dip, somewhat, to which teams you double up. The advantage of playing lowly West Coast and North Melbourne twice this year could be the difference in playing finals or missing them — or finishing in our out of the top four. West Coast’s double-up teams are Adelaide, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast and Richmond. North Melbourne’s double ups are Adelaide, Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Sydney. That’s arguably an eight-point handout to the Cats and, in a tight season, that’s a hell of a leg up.

Wow, some deep brain crunching went into Point 6. I wonder if the same thing was happening like three years ago or thirty three years ago. Brilliant analysis

(Edit well at least once a season 33 years ago)

Back To School GIF by IFC

Last edited:

Wow, some deep brain crunching went into Point 6. I wonder if the same thing was happening like three years ago or thirty three years ago. Brilliant analysis

Back To School GIF by IFC
Amazing how now it's an issue. It's not an issue when North are thereabouts and have to play in WA, SA, QLD, Launceston and Geelong every season getting all the hardest road trips but now it's an issue.

Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Carlton combined etc have played Geelong at home over the last 2 decades less than we have in around 2 seasons but yeah, it's definitely not fair that a couple of teams get to play us twice. Completely different of course to Richmond getting to play Carlton as bunnies for the last decade to start every season...

**** I hate the media in this country. No integrity. No idea.

Yes, they're right there is nothing fair about the current fixturing system. How about instead of picking random edge cases every year they start an actual proper conversation about bringing back a simple rotating as fair as possible fixture. How about they contribute for once instead of being absolute parasites.

Last edited:

5. Beware the total demolition of the list​

North Melbourne stripped its list over the past two off-seasons and the unanswerable question for them now is how long is the road back to contention? AFL great Leigh Matthews believes stripping the list like North did poses a problem because it’s so difficult to get out of the bottom part of the ladder when you do it. So, how will West Coast play it? Channel 7’s Adam Cooney had a bold plan which is akin to stripping a list via trading out and bringing in draft picks. He suggested Essendon go after Elliot Yeo, Collingwood target Jack Darling, Jeremy McGovern to the Western Bulldogs and Andrew Gaff to Fremantle, and he’d offload Nic Nat too, but says no club would pick up his salary. It’s food for thought from Cooney. Clearly, the Eagles would get a bunch of first and second-round draft picks for their best players, which would seriously aid the rebuild. But would the Eagles treat their champs with such disdain at the back-end of their careers? And does culture count? The practicalities are sound – move them out and bring in kids – but footy remains more than a business. Or does it?

6. Luck of the draw​

Did they just forget the bit where we traded out Brown, Higgins and Tarrant?

interview this morning featuring brad hardie, around 12min and 40 seconds he discusses north and that noble has lost the playing group, click on link above then click latest interview

Did they just forget the bit where we traded out Brown, Higgins and Tarrant?
The article quoted Cooney and indicated that what he said was credible. I think that is enough to tell you that whoever wrote it was on the plonk or they'd just done some wild trips and their sense of reality was bent out of all proportion.

interview this morning featuring brad hardie, around 12min and 40 seconds he discusses north and that noble has lost the playing group, click on link above then click latest interview
Gee. Is he still around. Didn't he go loopy a few years back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. Brad Hardie on TAB Radio of all places. Is this part of some arrangement for him to work off all his gambling debts?

What he says, or the show? Genuine question, I wasn't going to listen until I saw your reply.
Show isn't worth listening to as it's only like a 6 second sound bite. He says he has mail that the playing group isn't behind Nobes and things are going to get nasty soon, or something to that effect. I don't like or trust the man saying it but can't rule out he's incorrect, nor am I fully convinced he's correct. Time will tell.

there's more evidence showing Noble has lost the players than won them. we've only been worse this season.

hope i'm wrong but the results speak for themselves.

Hasbeens always chime in with “strong mail” when a club is going badly. Look it could be true but how reliable a source is Brad Hardie? Who’s giving him the info? Why would someone within the club relay such a thing to him of all people? Wtf is TAB radio?

I have my concerns about how we’re playing and about nobles coaching but say hypothetically you’re a North insider trying to generate media pressure to force the end of a toxic situation that is leading the club into the wilderness…why would you leak such info to Brad fuxking Hardie??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back