Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mate I doubt there will ever be a day that Xerri is worth a second round draft pick. I know for us those picks are disposable as we hardly ever have success with them. Other clubs though do and have. We currently have six young second rounders on our books and let's hope our luck changes in that regard.

Big lumps of lads in the ruck are sort after but tend to not have much currency. Mobile strong overhead types than can also go forward is where the money is at.

If we put Edwards and Xerri up for trade I'd back in Edwards to have greater value. And I'd listen to other clubs if they enquired about Edwards.

Saints I think offered a third rounder for Xerri and that was fair enough. And will be fair enough at seasons end.
Then we need to get better with R2 picks.

We will get near fa for Xerri if he requests a trade.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then we need to get better with R2 picks.

We will get near fa for Xerri if he requests a trade.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think we’ll offer X a two year deal, with our thinking being it’s CCJ & Edwards from 2025 onwards, but he’ll want three.

Do we trade X for a second rounder or whatever we can get & pick up a mature ruckman from the state leagues for a season while Edwards develops?

I’ve not seen a second of Edwards live.
Could he be ready for AFL footy by 2024?

I think we’ll offer X a two year deal, with our thinking being it’s CCJ & Edwards from 2025 onwards, but he’ll want three.

Do we trade X for a second rounder or whatever we can get & pick up a mature ruckman from the state leagues for a season while Edwards develops?

I’ve not seen a second of Edwards live.
Could he be ready for AFL footy by 2024?

We couldn't get a future 2nd when he was contracted so we won't get it now. I would love to be wrong of course.

We couldn't get a future 2nd when he was contracted so we won't get it now. I would love to be wrong of course.
If they still want him we do have a bit of protection re the psd but i dare say he’d have increased his value a little, if * get Marshall (I doubt they will) x becomes bloody valuable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me again how many high picks Gold Coast had when they received their priority pick bonanza.
Or Carlton, who got two pre-draft selections the same year they had picked one (used to get Sam Walsh). In the three years' prior, they had six picks inside the top 13:

2017: Pick 3 and 10 (Dow and O'Brien)
2016: Pick 6 (SPS)
2015: Picks 1, 10 and 12 (Weitering, McKay and Curnow) - nailed that draft, by the way.

Compare to our last three years, where we've had three:

2021: Pick 1 (JHF)
2020: Picks 3 and 13 (Phillips and Powell)
2019: None (First selection was Comben at 31)

Or Carlton, who got two pre-draft selections the same year they had picked one (used to get Sam Walsh). In the three years' prior, they had six picks inside the top 13:

2017: Pick 3 and 10 (Dow and O'Brien)
2016: Pick 6 (SPS)
2015: Picks 1, 10 and 12 (Weitering, McKay and Curnow) - nailed that draft, by the way.

Compare to our last three years, where we've had three:

2021: Pick 1 (JHF)
2020: Picks 3 and 13 (Phillips and Powell)
2019: None (First selection was Comben at 31)
Exactly. The argument holds no water. That the writer didn't even question this when reprinting the PR copy shows how much "journalism" was involved.

You don’t think the game is heading more in the tweener direction? We need blokes at 6’2”- 6’4” who can use the ball. Logue will be a gun.

they're always good in theory, but unless they're like cripps or bont they often don't work out. can't move around the packs as well as a dangerous small forward, not strong or tall enough to play on the main KPF or resting ruck.

logue has been a fringe player at freo for years, even when they were shite. don't rate.

Talk about ego.

Attachments

• 383AAD5C-D84C-4504-9AF4-BA01F31A0E66.jpeg
    383AAD5C-D84C-4504-9AF4-BA01F31A0E66.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 169
Every year they float this. Tbh with the way the coaches are playing him I wouldn’t blame him if he left.

Anyone know how to get behind paywall?

AFL 2022: Latest trade, free agency, draft and contract news​

Years after he seemed destined for Geelong, Todd Goldstein’s future appears away from Arden St — and a finals contender looms as big player for his services.

Glenn McFarlane and Jon Ralph

May 6, 2022 - 1:55PM

Carlton could join Geelong as one of the potential suitors for veteran North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein at the end of the year.
It is understood the Blues have discussed internally the prospect of bringing in an experienced ruckman as a back-up to assist Marc Pittonet and Tom De Koning next year - but only at the right price.

Goldstein will turn 34 in July and is tipped to be on the move in 2023 as an unrestricted free agent.

He has previously knocked back the overtures of several rival clubs, including rejecting a four-year offer to join the Cats in 2019.

But with the Kangaroos sitting on the bottom of the ladder with only one win this year and with Tristan Xerri challenging as the club’s No. 1 ruckman, Goldstein could be headed elsewhere.

He has been a great servant of the club across 280 games, winning All-Australian selection and the club best and fairest in 2015.

A number of key ruckmen have been sidelined due to injury this season, which is likely to increase the premium on big men come the free agency and trade period.

Pittonet’s injury has only solidified the Blues’ belief that they could do with some extra ruck insurance given De Koning is highly-rated, but is still a work in progress in the ruck.

Clubs such as Carlton and Geelong would be looking at a heavily incentive-based agreement with Goldstein if he was to move, mindful of his age.

Goldstein’s durability has seen him play 20 or more games in 11 of the past 13 seasons, and never less than 17 since his second season in 2009.

they're always good in theory, but unless they're like cripps or bont they often don't work out. can't move around the packs as well as a dangerous small forward, not strong or tall enough to play on the main KPF or resting ruck.

logue has been a fringe player at freo for years, even when they were shite. don't rate.
yeah fair enough.....I was meaning more along the lines of defenders that can intercept and use the ball.
i don’t agree re Logue, think he’s got huge upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back