Will we make finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree 100%. The concept of deserving anything is sport is silly. You get what you win. You can't logically have something you don't deserve.
Naah that's a bit reductionist IMO. It means that Stephen Bradbury deserved his speed skating gold medal for example.

I'm not even sure he would claim that. He got lucky and he has humbly admitted it many times. He can be given some credit for adopting a strategy of staying off the pace (which was probably at his limit anyway!) in the unlikely event that there would be a massive crash among the favourites.

I'm not saying we deserve or don't deserve finals this year. I'm just glad the stars aligned for us and we're in.

Naah that's a bit reductionist IMO. It means that Stephen Bradbury deserved his speed skating gold medal for example.

I'm not even sure he would claim that. He got lucky and he has humbly admitted it many times. He can be given some credit for adopting a strategy of staying off the pace (which was probably at his limit anyway!) in the unlikely event that there would be a massive crash among the favourites.

I'm not saying we deserve or don't deserve finals this year. I'm just glad the stars aligned for us and we're in.
The dudes that fell in front of Bradbury didn’t deserve to win because they fell over

Good on them for being faster skaters though

We still haven’t paid you back for the Treloar trade.

Beat Geelong and I will be even happier with the Pies.
Damn shame about Treloar, mistreated by us, great to see he's landed on his feet over there

Yep I expect you'll be playing Geelong in the semi, been a while since they've played a serious game, they are ripe for the picking

No reason why you guys can't go on another tear through the finals, form hasn't been great but that doesn't matter and you've certainly got the cattle and the experience

Damn shame about Treloar, mistreated by us, great to see he's landed on his feet over there

Yep I expect you'll be playing Geelong in the semi, been a while since they've played a serious game, they are ripe for the picking

No reason why you guys can't go on another tear through the finals, form hasn't been great but that doesn't matter and you've certainly got the cattle and the experience
Not this year

The dudes that fell in front of Bradbury didn’t deserve to win because they fell over

Good on them for being faster skaters though
Lol, one made a technical error, fell and took out the other four.

I picked an extreme example in the hope that it would show that victory doesn't always go to the most deserving in sport. Other examples - especially those involving us - are usually pretty contentious so I try to be pretty zen (once I settle down after the game). If we win, good. If we don't, bad. It just is.

No big deal. I'm happy just to disagree on this.

Lol, one made a technical error, fell and took out the other four.

I picked an extreme example in the hope that it would show that victory doesn't always go to the most deserving in sport. Other examples - especially those involving us - are usually pretty contentious so I try to be pretty zen (once I settle down after the game). If we win, good. If we don't, bad. It just is.

No big deal. I'm happy just to disagree on this.
Luck comes in different amounts at different times. Timing shouldn’t really be how we define deserving or not.

I agree a little more when the rules are different for different teams. Like the afl fixture instead of a draw is unfair issuance of varying difficulty. That wouldn’t support Carlton here, but I know that’s not directly what you were disputing

A clip of Triple M's call of the final moments of the Carlton v Collingwood game. Intriguing to look at some of the reactions in the adjoining radio booths when Elliott puts Collingwood in front. Andy Maher looks as though he is sucking a lemon. Watching The Front Bar this coming week will be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concept of deserving is just stupid and should be put in the bin. No one deserves anything. Things just happen.
Funnily enough Bevo touched on this during the press conference today. I think it was around the 2:40 mark.

He said something about "not deserving" and then quickly corrected himself (perhaps thinking how tomorrow's headlines would look if it came across the wrong way). He then mumbled some words like "earned" and I think where he left it was along the lines of "deserving is irrelevant" or similar.

Do check it out for yourself ... I'm happy to be corrected if I've misremembered or misquoted it.

With dogs in finals and playing in Perth I don't know if I want to go to the game up there. The last few games I went to didn't end up so well. The GF last year, a loss against freo in 2012/2013, and the 120pt smashing the eagles served up in 2011. Not a good record for me :(.

Can't believe we made it. The odds of the various happenings that got us to this point are off the charts.

We go to WA with nothing to lose against a team with a stack of expectation and not much finals experience....

I loved this thread.

Watching hope gone. Then Collingwood do it again coming back like Seabiscuit.

I enjoyed the celebrations of the dogs players as I think they were 2 minutes away from trying to beat David Boons Tassie to Melbourne record to now playing in 2 weeks time. Treloar was obviously cheering because we are joint employers.

Good luck in the finals. Beveridge could get this side doing anything come finals time.

Of course he deserved it. He crossed the line first.

from here limping in to a prelim would far exceed expectations based on the way the season’s panned out
a GF appearance would surely be a pisstake on the AFL
1-2 wins would barely be a pass mark

Don't know what caused me more heartburn yesterday, waiting to the last seconds to see Collingwood get up or having to listen to Dermie call our game for 3 hours earlier in the day!!! Either way it was worth the pain....

Remove this Banner Ad

Will we make finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back