List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Trading Kai just feels like overkill though - he's worth about a late teens pick at least. We won't get to use that pick and it will just be absorbed by bidding, so far better to keep him, hope he re-signs, and if we have to trade him next year then we do that. I can't see his market value diminishing that much in a year.
Yeah I probably should’ve said this is also on the proviso that we have a fair indication that he won’t re-sign or is at least considering his options.

I thought it stuck out a bit this year that the others signed on early, yet he didn’t and he was the one who debuted first. Now maybe that’s just his manager telling him to hold off given he debuted so soon he may well be better holding off for more dough, although we all know the alternative when that happens also.

One thing to consider in regards to being bid on at pick 1 is that the first pick gets $10k. So if you bid on Ashcroft knowing it would be matched, you would be taking $10k away from the kid who is actually coming into your club. That is in addition to the prestige of being the first pick. People remember things like that and you could sour a relationship from day 1. Far better to let the team bidding second bid on the player and keep the player happy and sell your fan base on you getting the best player in the draft.

100% after the shit JHF went through this year in the media, North will be straight up asking their choice of pick what they prefer. If they want the 10k and the media circus that comes with it, great. But if it’s a more reserved kid they might be happier to go at 2.

Robertson and Lohman I would expect to get attention and I would not be shocked if they were traded. Not saying that I would want it to happen but just think it might. Coleman I can't see generating much interest and I am expecting him to be shuffled to the rookie list.

Payne I would expect to interest other teams but given our list construction I just cannot see how we could afford to let him go. Answerth is one who I think could be shopped. Played a lot of games this year, showed he could stay on the park and established himself but he is very replaceable in this team. If I was another team I would make a run at Madden who I think should be playing AFL football and should be cheap or a steak knives throw in. Tunstill also might see the writing on the wall with all the mids coming in and might fancy he could get more games with a rebuilding West Coast. He got 3 games this year and looked like he could develop.

Gardiner could be in play for a trade to generate some points. I am sure there are some teams out there who have not watched him as closely as we have.
This draft really has some holes.

Very few small forwards, very few back flankers or wings.

If we delist some players, especially those without a contract, with the hope of redrafting them in the rookie draft, I can see other clubs drafting them in the 3rd round of this draft.

If we win the premiership this year and as a result get pick 18 instead of the pick we would have gotten had we lost to Richmond and we lose Lohmann because of that, I will be livid.

All I know is we will not be putting players up for trade against their will. Too much has been done to create a stable environment, we won’t be shopping anyone.

If any players come and say ‘I’m open to going home if it helps the club, but would be happy to stay too’ ala Jack Crisp I can see us offloading a player or two to bring in the players we have been linked to.

Also do we want to give up say - Lohmann for example, only to have enough points to make sure we get fletcher (if that was the way it panned out) - bloody hard to imagine the way it plays out.

I trust the team, they have a good record of getting things done.

Shaping up as a bumper off season for us. Dunkley and Ashcroft will fit our midfield profile perfectly, potentially adding both sets up a pretty smooth transition for the next decade.
Hopefully will still have 3+ years of Lachie being at his elite best. Have 6 years of McCluggage and Dunkley delivering consistent A grade performances, all while still Developing Ashcroft and Dev. Throw in Berry who arguably played his best game for the club last weekend, Lyons who I think some maybe a little quick to write off, with rotational minutes to Bailey and Rayner and it all looks really positive.

That’s a mix of players that would be the envy of most list managers besides Sydney’s. Melbourne undoubtedly do have a stronger midfielder at the moment, but lack the developing young talent coming through IMO
Dunkley is working class, but he does it extremely well. He hasn’t reached his peak yet, as he’s played out of position for large parts of the game due to the Bulldogs midfield depth. He’s versatile enough to play forward and is used accordingly, while players such as libba are a bit more one dimensional, Macrae gets mostly midfield rotations, throw in Bailey Smith, Bont and Treloar it largely cuts into his potential rotation.

If we do manage to land Dunkley, a few poster around here are going to be pleasantly surprised. We have a track record of letting people flourish in our environment, and once he starts to get that 70% midfield rotation (he sits at 50% CBA for the bulldogs this year) he will quickly establish himself as a true top liner.

You dont think our 1st picks this year, next year, McStay compo and whatever we get back from the Dunkley trade would be sufficient for Dunkey, Ashcroft and Fletcher?
Really borderline. Really, really borderline.

If we’re getting the Bulldog’s second round pick back, that’s good.

If we get band 2 compensation for McStay, it’d be real close to doable.

Don’t expect a big points upgrade from trading picks back this year. The depth just isn’t there in this draft to get a points premium.

If we were trading our future first for points, I’d expect much better offers though.

Before people get carried away I don't think we've ever traded a draftee after one year and I can't see us doing it for someone we've ranked high enough to debut early in a year where we're aiming for a premiership.

If we could convince Gold Coast to give up a chunk of their 2nd and 3rd rounders this year for our 2023 first, that would go a long way to solving our issues. Allows us to maximize points first before having to deal with WB over Dunkley. Could even do similar with this year's first instead of next years. If we go the other way and hand WB two first rounders, we lose the opportunity to use at least one of those picks to maximize our points position. Basically, my idea is to trade for picks and points first and then deal with the Dunkley situation later in the trade period.

Before people get carried away I don't think we've ever traded a draftee after one year and I can't see us doing it for someone we've ranked high enough to debut early in a year where we're aiming for a premiership.

No, frenzy has begun to be whipped. Don’t stand in their way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a limit on how much of a points deficit you can carry over to the following year?
Yes.

For bid matching purposes, the afl counts your future picks as;

If you have two picks in one round, say for example the second round, then the afl counts them as picks 35 and 36.

I've seen this has been attempted but wanted to give it my shot...it's complicated!

1663122707528.png 1663122751959.png

Assumptions:
  1. We get knocked out this weekend and get pick 15
  2. We get band 2 compo for McStay (5 years @ $650k should be this comfortably)
  3. Ashcroft is bid on at 1, Fletcher at 16 (as per Cal Twomey's latest rankings) - I suspect Fletcher would slide based on previous academy/father-sons
Rules/Defecit Limit:
  1. There is a defecit limit of of 1723 points (which is the equivalent of the group of picks that will be assigned to the premiership team each year: selections No.18, 36, 54 and 72). If we trade out our future first our defecit limit is (1723-985 = 738).
  2. If a club trades a future first-round selection, it may not trade any other future selection from that same draft. But if a club keeps its future first-round selection, it can trade any of its future selections from other rounds.
Outcomes:
  1. Without Dunkley: With current picks we would have 220 point defecit - this is the equivilant of next year's first round pick (15) sliding to pick 20
  2. With Dunkley: If we traded out this years pick 15 and next year's first for Dunkley - we'd have a defecit of ~1300 which would exceed our limit - and we would need to find 600points (to carry a 700 pt defecit)
Options:
  1. Splitting/shuffling current picks down - normally we you can find 200-400 points by splitting.
  2. Getting in additional picks by trading players out
  3. Give dogs two firsts, but make sure we get points back to avoid defecit (practically, 2 firsts out for Dunkley = 1300 deficit so we'd need 600 points back this year, equvilant of pick 31, and would carry over a 700pt defecit)
  4. Trading future first for 2022 picks/points (not for Dunkley)

Yes.

For bid matching purposes, the afl counts your future picks as;

If you have two picks in one round, say for example the second round, then the afl counts them as picks 35 and 36.
Well, that's what our 2023 draft hand should look like anyway ;)

Sam Edmund on the Trade Bell today said that the Lions have an interest in Josh Corbett from the Suns.... McStay replacement 3rd tall?

Sam Edmund on the Trade Bell today said that the Lions have an interest in Josh Corbett from the Suns.... McStay replacement 3rd tall?

Heard Freo are into him as well. From memory, J Sharp was the other suns player they were keen on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shaping up as a bumper off season for us. Dunkley and Ashcroft will fit our midfield profile perfectly, potentially adding both sets up a pretty smooth transition for the next decade.
Hopefully will still have 3+ years of Lachie being at his elite best. Have 6 years of McCluggage and Dunkley delivering consistent A grade performances, all while still Developing Ashcroft and Dev. Throw in Berry who arguably played his best game for the club last weekend, Lyons who I think some maybe a little quick to write off, with rotational minutes to Bailey and Rayner and it all looks really positive.

That’s a mix of players that would be the envy of most list managers besides Sydney’s. Melbourne undoubtedly do have a stronger midfielder at the moment, but lack the developing young talent coming through IMO
Dunkley is working class, but he does it extremely well. He hasn’t reached his peak yet, as he’s played out of position for large parts of the game due to the Bulldogs midfield depth. He’s versatile enough to play forward and is used accordingly, while players such as libba are a bit more one dimensional, Macrae gets mostly midfield rotations, throw in Bailey Smith, Bont and Treloar it largely cuts into his potential rotation.

If we do manage to land Dunkley, a few poster around here are going to be pleasantly surprised. We have a track record of letting people flourish in our environment, and once he starts to get that 70% midfield rotation (he sits at 50% CBA for the bulldogs this year) he will quickly establish himself as a true top liner.
Excuse the intrusion. I just thought I’d expand on this a little.

There were parts of Pat Lipinskis game I conceded he had to work on but when he was linked with Collingwood supporters I put myself out there on their board and said he’d be one of their top ten players in 2022. I expect he will be there abouts with their best and fairest this year. I’m going to do it again.

If he plays pure midfield minutes, Josh Dunkley could win your best and fairest in 2023 and assuming is injury free, will absolutely finish top 3. I believe he could very well win a Brownlow before his time is up.

I am emotionally detached from him and have been for years now but when given the chance has been our best midfielder.

There were parts of Pat Lipinskis game I conceded he had to work on but when he was linked with Collingwood supporters I put myself out there on their board and said he’d be one of their top ten players in 2022. I expect he will be there abouts with their best and fairest this year. I’m going to do it again.

If he plays pure midfield minutes, Josh Dunkley could win your best and fairest in 2023 and assuming is injury free, will absolutely finish top 3. I believe he could very well win a Brownlow before his time is up.

I am emotionally detached from him and have been for years now but when given the chance has been our best midfielder.

Better than Bont?

This draft really has some holes.

Very few small forwards, very few back flankers or wings.

If we delist some players, especially those without a contract, with the hope of redrafting them in the rookie draft, I can see other clubs drafting them in the 3rd round of this draft.
If we declare that we are going to rookie them it is very uncommon for teams to poach them. Not unheard of (see Hugh Greenwood) but considered bad form unless the player themselves reaches out to other clubs.

So why hasn’t he been given the chance to be your best midfielder? Is there something he doesn’t do well enough or has there been some over thinking going on from the coaches?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back