List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What role does Fletcher play? The club won't unnecessarily trade talent (like Lohmann) to unlock draft capital unless they:
a) rate him as a clear first round choice
b) Lohmann (or another) expresses a desire to leave or;
b) the position he plays is one we deem we are light on for coverage

We've elected not to draft/match Academy players in the past (Cumberland and Chol spring to mind), so surely there is another scenario that sees us not match an early bid for Fletcher?

That being said, with our window being open right now, the move for Dunkley is the right one given he will give our midfield another dimension. As Quigley points out something has to give - just as it did in the 3 peat era. Either we miss on Fletcher, or say goodbye to a Roberston (or Lyons if there is interest?) who we can cover for. We lost the likes of Bolton who became an All Australian, Headland, Gram, Voss, Molloy etc for various reasons but none of us would complain about those list management decisions given our success during those times.

One thing to consider in regards to being bid on at pick 1 is that the first pick gets $10k. So if you bid on Ashcroft knowing it would be matched, you would be taking $10k away from the kid who is actually coming into your club. That is in addition to the prestige of being the first pick. People remember things like that and you could sour a relationship from day 1. Far better to let the team bidding second bid on the player and keep the player happy and sell your fan base on you getting the best player in the draft.
You make a bloody good point ....one that I never really took into consideration.....makes more sense for club to do that for their young player

I think offloading Lohmann and even Tunstill would be an absolute last resort for us.
I wouldn't be approaching players to see if they're okay with being traded or worse pushing them out, could be very damaging to our culture. If a player comes forward offering to be traded then we consider it

We need to keep Lohmann. He has talent and lots of it. I think he will start pushing for a spot in the team next year and creating some competition.
Plus, I've already got a name for the goalkicking competition all picked out for him when he's playing regular seniors, which should be a decisive factor imo

Plus, I've already got a name for the goalkicking competition all picked out for him when he's playing regular seniors, which should be a decisive factor imo

The only factor, some would argue

Excuse the intrusion. I just thought I’d expand on this a little.

There were parts of Pat Lipinskis game I conceded he had to work on but when he was linked with Collingwood supporters I put myself out there on their board and said he’d be one of their top ten players in 2022. I expect he will be there abouts with their best and fairest this year. I’m going to do it again.

If he plays pure midfield minutes, Josh Dunkley could win your best and fairest in 2023 and assuming is injury free, will absolutely finish top 3. I believe he could very well win a Brownlow before his time is up.

I am emotionally detached from him and have been for years now but when given the chance has been our best midfielder.
Yup posted earlier on this board that Dunkley has the game to win a Brownlow. Just needs more midfield time. Racks them up and can score goals. He can do it all just needs the space to grow. He can at the Lions and this club would be the best place for him to reach his peak IMO. He'll be the number 1 inside mid here. This would transform our midfield.

Will allow Neale to operate as the inside architect setting up plays without 2 or 3 bloke hanging off him at every stoppage.
Will allow McCluggage to operate as the outside architect with cleaner ball receives from Neale and Dunkley and will allow him to not be forced to play inside as much.
Will allow Berry to split his time between inside and out without his body getting destroyed playing inside.
Rayner, Bailey and Ashcroft to rotate through. Less pressure on them to take the next step but will reap the benefits of having arguably the best balanced midfield in the comp.

Sorry for the text i'm crook af and probably not making much sense. But keen to get Dunks here.

So why hasn’t he been given the chance to be your best midfielder? Is there something he doesn’t do well enough or has there been some over thinking going on from the coaches?
Players can flourish if given room to grow. Neale is a recent example of this. Had elite player written all over him but was playing second fiddle to Fyfe.

I speculate that we will not take Fletcher if we were going to go into massive deficit next years draft instead of trading out youth like Lohmann or Robertson (assuming they have made it clear they want to stay here beyond current contracts).

Would be stupid move to trade out either of them for points on a potential player like Fletcher when those two could arguably be best 22 next year and both fill a list need.

if you look who is out of contract
Dizzy or Prior you think be some interest wonder why both not signed as yet.
Then T Berry, Fullarton and B Coleman not sure where they sit.
Rather not offload players, not sure how we do Dunkley with Ashcroft/Fletcher without.
Unless someone wants to do points swaps for our picks and seeing we end up with pick 18 not sure what it wort.

Lohmann is a guy you could be shedding tears about for 10 years if you didn't manage to keep him.

Sure he's got a long way to go but the signs are positive.
Where's the talk of Kai being traded? Trade radio?

Just seems insane to trade such a high-end talent. Is he home-sick, not fitting in the lads?

Head scratcher that one - cant say im fond of this time of year.

Solid defensively without being top shelf but he is prone to errors with the ball in hand and he does not really provide any run from behind or free himself up to be used as an easy disposal going forward.

Personally I think he is a decent enough player but we have three other guys in the reserves who I would prefer or at least would be comfortable playing instead of him each week and I fully expect Wilmott to have the spot going into next year. So if you are coming off playing 20 odd games this year and looking into that future I might consider a move whilst my stock is high. Move to a team where I can start each week would be good for him and I doubt the Lions would stand in his way this year.
Answerth needs to bring a little bit more to his game, he feels like he has hit his ceiling already. That has equated to a solid role player that isn't bad to have in a squad, but he hasn't been lockdown enough as a defender, or get involved to provide enough run / carry as you say.

I like him more as a defensive minded wingman that I think helps cover for some of the more attacking minded players we have, and that's a position on the ground we don't tend to use too much so his lack of quality disposal isn't as much of a liability there. He played a little bit up forward as well last week, but he hasn't looked as likely to get forward on the far side like I have seen Prior do a bit more consistently.

Definitely surplus to our needs atm.

Think someone posted earlier this year that our salary cap actually has a bit of space in it. I heard well sourced whispers earlier this year we were keen to "at least add 2 or 3 players" to the list. Although one of those was First Nations but unsure if that's going anywhere now with news of Dunkley (assuming he's coming if not then I suspect we will try bring the First Nation bloke in albeit a far lesser player but plays a similar role).

Hypothetically what I can gather from sources/gut feel.
In: Gunston, Dunkley, McKenna
Out: McStay, Gardiner

Think our salary cap will have no issue covering this. I also suspect we will hit FA hard next year given a few contracts were front ended and we'll have space next year (assuming our possible incomings aren't massive front ended over next two years).

Where's the talk of Kai being traded? Trade radio?

Just seems insane to trade such a high-end talent. Is he home-sick, not fitting in the lads?

Head scratcher that one - cant say im fond of this time of year.
No official talk, just some of the quality posters (not me) of the board outlining that we might lose talent, and Lohmann is someone that could be targeted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Dev Robertson will not even enter the discussion from our side to be traded.... definitely has a spot in our side in 2023 and has shown as much in the 2 finals even with Dunkley in the side >

Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich.
Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Marcus Adams.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Dev Robertson.
Josh Dunkley, Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy.
Dayne Zorko, Joe Daniher, Zac Bailey.

Darcy Wilmot, Will Ashcroft, Cam Rayner, Darcy Fort.

Sub/depth from- Jaxon Prior, Kai Lohmann, Callum Ah Chee, Noah Answerth, Rhys Matheison, Nakia Cockatoo, Tom Berry.
Interesting that you left Lyons out all together. He will not be in my team below either but we all know that he is a Fagan favourite and will be in the team week 1 next year if fit.

My team would be:

Rich Andrews Adams
Coleman Payne Starcevich

McCluggage Berry Bailey

Zorko Hipwood Rayner
Cameron Daniher MCCarthy

McInerney Neale Dunkley

Fort Ashcroft Wilmott Ah Chee

If they stayed I would have Lohmann closer to my team than Robertson who I would have in line with the other young mids for possible call up. Others would be ahead of him if an outside mid was required but he and Tunstill would be competing with Lyons and Matho for an inside mid role.

FWIW I would love McCluggage and Bailey on the wings for us next year. Both are very dangerous going forward and would give us something we haven't had for years at that position. Both can also go onball and do a good job if the contest is in their area.

No official talk, just some of the quality posters (not me) of the board outlining that we might lose talent, and Lohmann is someone that could be targeted.
Yeah I think I started it today and I have not heard anything on it apart from someone mentioning a few days ago that the Bulldogs board had raised him. Just pure speculation about how we could get everything done we wanted to do.

The McStay compo is going to be huge, we get band two and I think we should be able to get Dunkley and the two f/s in without giving up anything other than the two firsts + compo pick. If it’s band 3 I think we should still be able to get it done without giving up any real quality players but there’s going to have to be a lot of manoeuvring from our trade team, something they’ve been pretty good at in the past.

FWIW I would love McCluggage and Bailey on the wings for us next year. Both are very dangerous going forward and would give us something we haven't had for years at that position. Both can also go onball and do a good job if the contest is in their area.
I really like Bailey on a wing but I’m sold on Hugh being a midfielder for us, was by far our second best this season and has another level to go in there imo. This was his first full season as a proper midfielder and I thought he was very very good.

ive emotionally let go of McStay in my head from the time he hasnt re-signed.

I'm ok with Mcstay, Gardiner, Mathieson and Answerth leaving.

Especially if it means receiving

Dunkley, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Gunston/another KPP

So Twomey doesn’t believe Dunkley is worth 2 first round picks because he believes Brisbane Lions will trade our future 1st for points for Ashcroft and Fletcher who he sees as both first rounders and said our first and something else gets it done possibly a player
It is the "and something else" that is the issue.

I speculate that we will not take Fletcher if we were going to go into massive deficit next years draft instead of trading out youth like Lohmann or Robertson (assuming they have made it clear they want to stay here beyond current contracts).

Would be stupid move to trade out either of them for points on a potential player like Fletcher when those two could arguably be best 22 next year and both fill a list need.
The current discussion is not will we go in to deficit or not.

It’s what’s the potential asking price for Dunkley and how big of a hole does that put us in to at next year’s draft.

If we are getting Dunkley, next year’s first is definitely gone anyway. Either traded for Dunkley, or traded for draft points in this year’s draft (and that’s at best scenario end of the discussion).

If the price for Dunkley is two first round picks with a second coming back our way, there are scenarios where just matching Ashcroft wipes us out of both this year’s and next year’s drafts. And there’s no chance we even have a choice to match Fletcher.

If we can match Fletcher, it will most likely wipe us out of next year’s draft. But fair chance Fletcher is a better option than any kids we would have gotten at our left over late picks in next year’s draft anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back