List Mgmt. 2022 Trade, Draft, etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We're at the halfway point of the season and we're heading into a draft with no decent draft picks as we traded our future first out last year. So we either 1) don't trade for a 1st round pick, 2) Trade our future 1st for a current first rounder or 3) If Jackson leaves (which I doubt) we'll have 2 first rounders. Regardless, this is how I see our list needs, in order. Assuming Jackson stays:

1. Key Forward: This sort of goes without saying. Ben Brown and Tom McDonald are cooked and don't offer any defensive pressure. Both are nearing the ends of their careers. Weideman hasn't taken a game by the scruff of the next since 2018 and JVR is simply a prospect at this stage. No hybrids. A genuine 200cm forward.

2. Key Back: Life after Steven May. We have shown how reliant we are on him and rightly so, he is the best FB in the game. But we've also seen how we don't want to be stuck with Tomlinson as his replacement. Petty and Lever are good long term defenders and Joel Smith is good depth but other than that we really have very few options in the key defender position.

3. Small Lockdown defender: At this stage we only have 1 really good defender that can play on smalls and that is Hibberd. This could be his last season. Bowey is much improved in this area but I'd prefer Bowey and Salem to be more offensively minded. The competition and the speed of the game has increased the value of small forwards and most good teams have 1 or 2. Some 3. Fremantle have 3 elite small forwards (Frederick, Switkowski and Schultz), Brisbane have Bailey, Cameron and McCarthy.

4. Speedy midfielder/forward: The guys with elite speed on our list are Hunt, Oscar Baker, Joel Smith, Bedford, Pickett and Langdon. Pickett and Langdon are the only Best 22 players there. Bedford is fringe. We need more line breakers, more guys that put the opposition under pressure. Bailey Laurie is coming on but he's not quick.

5. Ruck: Life after Gawn. Life after Jackson (if he leaves now or in a few years). We can afford to go a development ruck here as I think Gawn has many more years left in him.

6. General forward: Too much reliance on Fritsch. He's the only guy who has elite goal sense and hits the scoreboard frequently. This is where the Gunston trade talks were interesting as he is an example of what we need.

With no current picks to work with it's up to Jason Taylor and his team to orchestrate ways of improving the team, whether it be trade or through nailing 2nd round picks at the draft where the odds are stacked against us.
I think this needs to be bumped. Spot on, in the exact order.

I'm surprised we're not keen on Lewis Young at pick 13.

Can't remember which club but during trade period I heard a recruiter asked about next years draft vs this years and he basically said "The grass is always greener."

Feels like every year the following years draft is going to be the next super draft.

I think it’s natural to be concerned about throwing first rounders around. But I trust JT also. He has a good track record and obviously has his eye on someone he rates extremely highly. Phillipou I guess.
Isn't it like only half or even less of first round draftees that actually have a half decent career? I know JT is good, but both our first rounders next year will most likely be between the 12 and 18 mark. Not exactly top end. Sounds like we are right into Phillipou. I'd be shocked if we trade up and don't pick him. He looks the pick of the guys outside the top 3 or 4. I just can't see any of the top 5 or 6 pick holders budging. I like that we're trying, but i hope we don't overpay either. Would be nice to get the most out of the Dogga trade.

Isn't it like only half or even less of first round draftees that actually have a half decent career? I know JT is good, but both our first rounders next year will most likely be between the 12 and 18 mark. Not exactly top end. Sounds like we are right into Phillipou. I'd be shocked if we trade up and don't pick him. He looks the pick of the guys outside the top 3 or 4. I just can't see any of the top 5 or 6 pick holders budging. I like that we're trying, but i hope we don't overpay either. Would be nice to get the most out of the Dogga trade.
That's not going to happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see Geelong passing on Jhye Clark.

From everything ive seen Tsatas shits on Clark.

One looks like an A Grade with massive potential , the other looks like a solid C grader with no real upside.

Last edited:
Maybe Clark is a hard worker who just keeps going and that's what I'm missing, it's not easy to pick that up unless you're watching entire games which I haven't, but skill wise and elite traits/potential I just don't see anything eye popping at all that screams top 10 pick.

Cannot believe the Western are taking Oskar Baker. Hilarity ensues.

Maybe Clark is a hard worker who just keeps going and that's what I'm missing, it's not easy to pick that up unless you're watching entire games which I haven't, but skill wise and elite traits/potential I just don't see anything eye popping at all that screams top 10 pick.

Who knows what Geelong have told Clark, I'm sure that there's no guarantee, but it would be pretty un-Geelong like to let all the talk about them being certainties to pick him play out and then pick someone else. I reckon they're fairly committed.

No doubt everyone suddenly rating Phillipou at 4-5 will shake the order up slightly though. Article I read (I think in the Age) this morning sounded fairly certain Essendon will take him at 5 which does leave Tsatas there for somebody to get.

From what I read McKenzie looks a good pick up to. Bigger than Clark and seems everyone wants bigger mids now.

I like him far more than Clark, hes more an outside guy with good skills than an in and under like Clark though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back