News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

The person to ask is you pick one

I would have said way over 10,000. That place was a sardine can.

And gee I hated the bike track. The ground just felt so big when you were playing.
I remember big crowds with people following Terry Bright 75ish also mid 50s Russel Mockridge on the velodrome drew a big one,as for number, to long a go for me to hazard a guess Tony
Merry Xmas to you.

I have never heard about this 'state government agreement' before. And it's interesting that we appear to be the only club that is significantly penalised by it. After all, every other Victorian club plays home games every second week at the grounds that they are seemingly 'bound' to embrace. We're the exception, in that we have a perfectly good home ground of our own to use for every game. And yet we're constrained to not play games there by a governmental agreement. Seems a trifle inane to me.

I know there will be plenty here who say it's great, in that it compels us to play more games every year on the 'G during the H&A. My point would be that playing away games against MCG tenants always brings that opportunity, anyway. And given our club is called 'Geelong' (and has built its identity on being distinct from Melbourne since 1859), playing as many games as possible in that city rather than up the road in another city entirely would make perfect sense to me.

I also hear the argument about expanding Melbourne membership via this arrangement. But is it also just possible that more and more Geelong folk would sign up if we were guaranteed 11 homes games at our own ground every season? I don't think it's absolutely clear that supposedly diversifying our offering of game day venues is necessarily advantageous to our bottom line in the long run. It's hard for me to believe that you will ever easily build the same loyalty, passion and connection with fans who don't live in your region as you will with those who call Geelong 'home'.

All in all, then, I'm a little disappointed to hear this. But I'm also philosophical enough to acknowledge we just need to get on with it, and continue to make the best of the situation as it stands. Just like we did in 2022. Doesn't change the fact that it looks like another convenient way for the club to get worked over by the AFL, though.

#theclueisinourname
#theclueisinoursong
#wearegeelong

I have never heard about this 'state government agreement' before. And it's interesting that we appear to be the only club that is significantly penalised by it. After all, every other Victorian club plays home games every second week at the grounds that they are seemingly 'bound' to embrace. We're the exception, in that we have a perfectly good home ground of our own to use for every game. And yet we're constrained to not play games there by a governmental agreement. Seems a trifle inane to me.

I know there will be plenty here who say it's great, in that it compels us to play more games every year on the 'G during the H&A. My point would be that playing away games against MCG tenants always brings that opportunity, anyway. And given our club is called 'Geelong' (and has built its identity on being distinct from Melbourne since 1859), playing as many games as possible in that city rather than up the road in another city entirely would make perfect sense to me.

I also hear the argument about expanding Melbourne membership via this arrangement. But is it also just possible that more and more Geelong folk would sign up if we were guaranteed 11 homes games at our own ground every season? I don't think it's absolutely clear that supposedly diversifying our offering of game day venues is necessarily advantageous to our bottom line in the long run. It's hard for me to believe that you will ever easily build the same loyalty, passion and connection with fans who don't live in your region as you will with those who call Geelong 'home'.

All in all, then, I'm a little disappointed to hear this. But I'm also philosophical enough to acknowledge we just need to get on with it, and continue to make the best of the situation as it stands. Just like we did in 2022. Doesn't change the fact that it looks like another convenient way for the club to get worked over by the AFL, though.

#theclueisinourname
#theclueisinoursong
#wearegeelong
I’m a Melb member but would personally prefer 11 home games at GMHBA once redevelopment complete (if and when that’s contractually possible).

I get wanting to sign up more Melb members, but 2 extra Melb games isn't a tipping point for me personally.

IMG_0166.JPG

Stage 3 redevelopment on 12 December 2012- 10 years ago.

First game after that redevelopment was on 1st June 2013.

I reckon we'll be lucky to see a home game with the current redevelopment completed by seasons end.

Going to miss the standing end, really gave the ground character. I hope they incorporate it into the new stand.

Feel like that character is slowly slipping away as the redevelopments have waved through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to miss the standing end, really gave the ground character. I hope they incorporate it into the new stand.

Feel like that character is slowly slipping away as the redevelopments have waved through.
Welcome to the future where every stadium is a concrete fortress. Look at Perth stadium it’s an eye-saw. It’s just the way things are done now

I like what they’re doing. Makes our ground even more intimidating. Our new fortress.

Removing the run down and dingy standing section.

But still uniquely Kardinia Park.

I like what they’re doing. Makes our ground even more intimidating. Our new fortress.

Removing the run down and dingy standing section.

But still uniquely Kardinia Park.

I would hope the opposition finds our side of 23 players more intimidating then the patch of grass and the levels of concrete.

I know, Subiaco had personality. This new perth stadium just feels like they’ve tried to copy the G.

Not sure about Subiaco having personality to be honest - there were areas with really poor vision and attempting to get food , drink or have a leak would result in a ridiculously long wait :( Very run down with lots of concrete cancer in the end.

Optus hasn't got the history of the G but it's a high quality venue with every bell and whistle. Caters very well for families and has a number of options for the Corporates - I think they nailed it pretty well to be honest.
If only they could do something about those Docker and Eagle supporters....................... :p

I would hope the opposition finds our side of 23 players more intimidating then the patch of grass and the levels of concrete.
I would hope our club is more concerned with getting as many fans into watch our games than the standing area. It didn’t have character, it was an eyesore

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back