No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally saw Topgun Maverick last night. Familiar tag line that is mentioned numerous times across the film. Screenwriter a Hawks fan?

View attachment 1590665

Got even weirder when Mav started yelling at Goose Jr “at least you can come off and say, I did this, I shepherded, I played on. At least I did something for the sake of the side.”

Just found a cool channel on YouTube called aussie80s he has posted a lot of 1980s footy content including for those old timers like me, the Saturday night 90 minute football show. For those who weren’t around, the vfl was 12 teams in Victoria 6 games every Saturday all played at the same time at 2pm. You went then rushed home grabbed McDonald’s on the way and got in front of the box to watch the replay, which was the best game for 40 minutes, the second best for 20 minutes and highlights of the other 4. How things have changed but what a lovely stroll down memory lane!

Just found a cool channel on YouTube called aussie80s he has posted a lot of 1980s footy content including for those old timers like me, the Saturday night 90 minute football show. For those who weren’t around, the vfl was 12 teams in Victoria 6 games every Saturday all played at the same time at 2pm. You went then rushed home grabbed McDonald’s on the way and got in front of the box to watch the replay, which was the best game for 40 minutes, the second best for 20 minutes and highlights of the other 4. How things have changed but what a lovely stroll down memory lane!

Ah, the good old days! I also remember Peter Landy signing off with, "I hope your team won."

As an aside, I reckon the AFL could turn the final round of the year into something quite special by playing all games simultaneously at either 2ish or evening in eastern times. Make it state based matches, so there's no excess travel the week before finals (and get rid of the bye).

For example:
WCE vs Freo at 12 AWT
Adelaide vs Port at 1:30 Adelaide time
Syd vs GWS
Bris vs GCS
and then in Vic/Tas you have matches at Kardinia Park, MCG, Darklands, Ballarat, Launceston

Does Ballarat have decent lights? If so, you could run everything 5 hours later to appease TV.

Thoughts?

Ah, the good old days! I also remember Peter Landy signing off with, "I hope your team won."

As an aside, I reckon the AFL could turn the final round of the year into something quite special by playing all games simultaneously at either 2ish or evening in eastern times. Make it state based matches, so there's no excess travel the week before finals (and get rid of the bye).

For example:
WCE vs Freo at 12 AWT
Syd vs GWS
Bris vs GCS
and then in Vic/Tas you have matches at Kardinia Park, MCG, Darklands, Ballarat, Launceston

Does Ballarat have decent lights? If so, you could run everything 5 hours later to appease TV.

Thoughts?

No way in hell the TV networks would opt out of prime time broadcast timeslots for an entire round, particularly games that might have top 8 ramifications. Channel 7 especially would want their Friday night game and Saturday night game to sell premium ad space in.

No way in hell the TV networks would opt out of prime time broadcast timeslots for an entire round, particularly games that might have top 8 ramifications. Channel 7 especially would want their Friday night game and Saturday night game to sell premium ad space in.

Yep, I know... but we can dream :)

For example:
WCE vs Freo at 12 AWT
Syd vs GWS
Bris vs GCS

Thoughts?
The broadcasting deal with the AFL specifies that this type of scheduling simply isn’t permitted.

Yeah, remember that well! For us in the country it was often the only VFL we'd see until South moved to Sydney. The old girl would bring home fish'n'chips which we'd consume whilst watching this before she'd head off again to fish the old man out of the pub!

Finally saw Topgun Maverick last night. Familiar tag line that is mentioned numerous times across the film. Screenwriter a Hawks fan?

View attachment 1590665
Actually co-written by a couple of Michigan State alums. Must be Hawk supporters! (If I have anything to do with it anyway)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you should take careful note of that guy's sig. Read it several times.

More amusing when he has this gem in that spiel:

"Your delusional if you think the loss of many quality Hawks experienced players won't have an impact on your performance. Hawks not have fhe most inexperienced list by a long margin."

Not sure what the english language did to deserve that.

More amusing when he has this gem in that spiel:

"Your delusional if you think the loss of many quality Hawks experienced players won't have an impact on your performance. Hawks not have fhe most inexperienced list by a long margin."

Not sure what the english language did to deserve that.
Trying so hard to make it about the Hawks, despite my prediction in that particular thread having us last. 😂

That guy arguing Richmond's spine is one of the best in the league in 2023 is a worry too.

If Riewoldt and Tarrant are amongst the best in their position in 2023 then the league is in trouble.
Yeah, I would take Blues spine going forward, of all those mentioned.

I loll'd when I saw the Richmond spine being mentioned, and I couldn't honestly say the Lions one is that great when you've got perpetual underachievers in Daniher, Hipwood named as the key forwards and Andrews who hasn't quite met his potential.

Yeah, I would take Blues spine going forward, of all those mentioned.

I loll'd when I saw the Richmond spine being mentioned, and I couldn't honestly say the Lions one is that great when you've got perpetual underachievers in Daniher, Hipwood named as the key forwards and Andrews who hasn't quite met his potential.
At least Andrews tries, is a good age and is AA calibre, unlike Daniher who simply does not seem to care.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back