Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching the replay, I’m in awe of the coaches and players for completely changing the approach to ball movement so significantly in 6 days. Today, we used the corridor when it was on, lowered our eyes and possessed the ball to make them defend. Very few hospital handballs and excellent spread.

We will win more games this year if we play like that. North are far more more experienced and we beat them up across the ground. Scoreboard flattered them in the end.

Thought Day, Moore, Scrim, Sicily, Newk, Amon, CMac, Ward, Frost, Dimma, Brocky and Greene were all 7/10 or better today. Greene is not far off kicking 4-5 and Brocky could cause issues for the Craps next week.

Frenchie, Impey, Morrison, CJ (first half) and Meek were all solid contributors. Reeves was much better as well. Liked Finn’s game before he went off as he chose options that were within his limitations.

Huge challenge next week but a very pleasing effort.

Just want a quick shout to Will Day not just for an outstanding game but the way he took that solid hit in the 3rd got back up and just got on with it. No sooking, no staying down, no hoping for a free. His toughness is underrated IMO. He is fast becoming an elite midfielder

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Reminds me of a young Michael Tuck

Always hard to tell on tv but it looked like he ran straight up the race.
Correct. He should have taken a leaf out of Howe's book. He went across and spent some time with his past team mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The inability from both ruckman today to have an impact around the ground is concerning.

We’ve got time on our side though, I’ll be looking for some constant improvement over the next year or two in this area. Not going to get anywhere without a big bloke (or two) that can take marks and be a presence around the ground. A severe lack of 50/50 dump kick target (due to no true KPF atm as well) is really difficult for a young midfield to work through.

Correct. He should have taken a leaf out of Howe's book. He went across and spent some time with his past team mates.
I think they just wanted to avoid the awkward press photos, which is something Hodge alluded to earlier today. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was mingling behind the scenes. Was good to hear CJ talk about how he’s still loved by those guys.

Griffin Logue, this is how you shepherd a player off the ball, not what you did today. You just ran straight into Will Day with no regard whatsoever for his safety. Fortunately for us, that knock appeared to make Will Day better, so your loss, mate.

Attachments

• Image 1-4-2023 at 7.14 pm.jpeg
    Image 1-4-2023 at 7.14 pm.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 103
Something I think has flown under the radar a bit is Sicily's statistical dominance so far this season.

Another 28 disposal and 18 (18!) mark game today 🤯

I think we are going to witness one of the greatest statistical output from a backline player ever this year from the Blonde Prince.

The numbers he is pumping out at the moment are just next level.

Stats are complete rubbish these days except if you play SuperCoach.

A group of us were watching today and we all said in the first qtr he would have 30 and 15 marks today as he was getting so many cheap chips out the back.

Reckon our rucks are starting to give us first use. Resulted in us smashing them in clearances and contested possession. Will only get more dominant from here.
Ruckwork was better today, but work around the ground not so much. Particularly from Meek today. Would like to see one of them make way at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back