Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why 'who has the hardest draw' is a load of crap, there's so much change between seasons. We may be fortunate to get the cats twice if they truly have fallen right off.
The problem is they schedule the double ups based on last year's finishing position. They could solve that problem substantially and make a fairer fixture by only scheduling the 5-6 double up games after round 17 when each team has played every other once. So the double ups are based on a fair distribution this year's form, not last year's form.
All the main arguments used against this idea went out the window with covid where they proved they could schedule games on the fly and still make it work

Reckon we’ll swoop on Van Rooyen ala Jackson. Will cost a bomb, but such is life
We’re like Melbourne’s fall back option.
Draft a WA tall, beat Fremantle to Hogan, Jackson and Van Rooyen.
If they develop and want to go home, all good because that’ll be multiple first round picks.

Don’t forget the Dees kicked 20 goals. As a tall forward you can get on the end of a few.
JVR played great for his first game & looks a prospect but Amiss looks special & is so underdeveloped physically at this stage.
Will make for interesting comparison over the next few years.

No regrets from me on who we chose from the 2. Could be a bit of a worry if Erasmus doesn’t come on but we couldn’t have known Johnson would last & we definitely needed more mids.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geelong score a total of one point from clearances against GC and lose.

GC near double the Cats centre clearances.

Geelong have to play the game from their defensive fifty.

They come up against a bull ruck in Witts and they get schooled.

We need to get better before we play GC or Miller and Rowell will cut us apart.
or Darcy nullifies Witts
we just need Jackson to keep doing what he did in the Derby

or Darcy nullifies Witts
we just need Jackson to keep doing what he did in the Derby

Jackson is going to do a LOT more than he did in the derby. Not every week but you can see it coming. His ground game is amazing for someone of his size & he gets hands on a lot of pack marks. He stuck 2 on Sunday. Imagine when he starts clunking more than he drops.

Jackson is going to do a LOT more than he did in the derby. Not every week but you can see it coming. His ground game is amazing for someone of his size & he gets hands on a lot of pack marks. He stuck 2 on Sunday. Imagine when he starts clunking more than he drops.

Geez, if he clunks 2+ marks a week, he will be a certainty for AA.

I was told that having 1 mark against your name as a ruck, is elite !!.

Seriously there is more improvement required by Jackson, but one week and one step at a time. A goal a week + 5 big grabs, could be seen as the baseline.

His ground game is just nutty, he's so clean down there and if someone beats him to the ball, his tackles stick every time. His cleanness at ground level makes me think the aerial stuff will come around eventually as he grows into himself the next few years

I think Jackson's issues with marking come from his hips to shoulders getting out of alignment when he leaps at the ball and he ends up making contact with the footy with his hands outside of the line of his eyes. Almost like trying to catch something that's gone past you. Zac Clarke had a similar issue but his was caused by his opponents being able to shift him off his own line to the footy, similarly trying to mark with the ball outside of his eye line.

I know that's not making a lot of sense but when you watch Jackson trying to mark and failing, see how often it looks like his body has either gotten ahead of the ball and he's trying to mark it closer to behind his head than slightly out in front.

He should still leap for the ball, his leap will take the opposition out of the contest, and it does, he very rarely is marked against, but it's also taking him out of the contest.

That's such a subtle tweak too. Just slap him on the shoulders and tell him to stand up straight when he is marking the ball, he will naturally line up, be more stable and less needs to go right to stick the grab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jackson's issues with marking come from his hips to shoulders getting out of alignment when he leaps at the ball and he ends up making contact with the footy with his hands outside of the line of his eyes. Almost like trying to catch something that's gone past you. Zac Clarke had a similar issue but his was caused by his opponents being able to shift him off his own line to the footy, similarly trying to mark with the ball outside of his eye line.

I know that's not making a lot of sense but when you watch Jackson trying to mark and failing, see how often it looks like his body has either gotten ahead of the ball and he's trying to mark it closer to behind his head than slightly out in front.

He should still leap for the ball, his leap will take the opposition out of the contest, and it does, he very rarely is marked against, but it's also taking him out of the contest.

That's such a subtle tweak too. Just slap him on the shoulders and tell him to stand up straight when he is marking the ball, he will naturally line up, be more stable and less needs to go right to stick the grab.
Nah from the ground it looks like his timing. A few times the ball was below his hands.

Jeepers just looked at JVRs highlights from the weekend.

Looks like the type of player we need. Really hope Erasmus comes on cause him, Amiss and Johnson would have been a legendary haul
No secret I was very into him in the draft.
Many thought it might be my Claremont bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back