AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Interview with The Age - 20/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Live I thought he would get a week. Not a sling but drove the players head into the ground.

But the low impact / harm probably helps.

Borderline.

As for HUN.. Anzac Day is the biggest home and away game of the year… they won’t be backward in creating a narrative.

Ugh. If that’s a tackle then I give up
I mean he pins the arm and puts his head into the ground.

It's low impact but it's exactly what the AFL have said they don't want.

You'd hope so but they haven't announced the Friday night MRO stuff yet, including this kicking in danger thing from Shai Bolton that the talking heads reckon deserves a couple of weeks:

If you go to the AFL website and go to the news section, there's a sub-section of just Tribunal & MRO stuff where it should come up. There's usually one article for a whole day worth of games, but you only get an article if the MRO assessed at least one incident as being reportable out of all games that day. Nothing for Friday or Saturday yet.

View attachment 1662285
They said on the radio yesterday that no charges were laid from the Friday game, insufficient force from old mate Shai “Andy Lovett in a good team” Bolton

Is his arm pinned though? Looks like he’s trying to fend Zach off with his elbow if anything.

Far out I wish this was cut and dry. Every single week seems like it’s a guessing game

Is his arm pinned though? Looks like he’s trying to fend Zach off with his elbow if anything.

Far out I wish this was cut and dry. Every single week seems like it’s a guessing game
Yes. Him trying to force Zach's arm off doesn't mean Zach hasn't pinned him.

My recollection is that it’s when both of a players arms are pinned, leaving them no way to protect themselves. In this case one of Sparrow’s arms was free, and it also wasn’t the the sling/slam tackle we’ve seen players cop bans for. Sometimes a player will hit their head when tackled without it being the tackling player’s fault.

My recollection is that it’s when both of a players arms are pinned, leaving them no way to protect themselves. In this case one of Sparrow’s arms was free, and it also wasn’t the the sling/slam tackle we’ve seen players cop bans for. Sometimes a player will hit their head when tackled without it being the tackling player’s fault.
Problem is his free arm had the ball. I've seen instructional videos that says in that case it's considered that the player can't protect themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They just showed the replay on Fox and yeah...it looks rough. Wouldn't blame the MRO at all if they gave him a week.

End of the day, the umpires have gotta be quicker on the whistle. Blowing the whistle before the player gets dumped or taken to ground would prevent a lot of these dangerous tackles.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 1662451

So it would have to qualify under the arm(s) pinned thing right? He's not lifted, speared, slung, rotated, driven into the ground. There's no second action. So the only one it fits would be if the player is in a vulnerable position and can't protect himself

And it looks like Merrett was underneath him on the ground which would have minimised the impact
8970AB47-E222-4528-BE71-1E1907ABA163.jpeg

49 minutes 20 seconds Heeney tackles Caldwell;

That's the example from the 2023 Tribunal handbook for low impact:
Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 17.08.03.png

I assume the reason for this being low impact is that his ball holding arm is pinned and the other one is free...

and he got up and walked away

I still think the incident occurring as play is stopped could still be a factor.
The whistle went when Merrett already had him wrapped up but before they'd completely fallen over. If he'd let go they'd probably still have fallen over, but without Zach holding him the other bloke would probably have... fallen and smacked his head on the ground, instead of landing on Zach, such was his intent to cuddle the ball instead of protecting himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Interview with The Age - 20/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back