Preview 2023 Rd 9 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Saturday May 13 7:30PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Matthew Owies
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), Josh Honey (Omitted), Brodie Kemp (Omitted)

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Matt KennedyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowJordan BoydLachie Fogarty
Brodie Kemp

Docherty goes back to replace Kemp | Owies for Honey and Kennedy for Ed - all like-for-like replacement moves.

Only two more players that could press for inclusion after the bye that could make a significant difference - Martin and Cuningham to up the X factor in the forward lines - most likely best case scenario after a couple of VFL games would be Essendon game.

Doggies can put pressure on - but not the quality over 4 quarters that Brisbane's list can muster.

Fascinating game coming up - par performance V last year would be wins against Doggies and Sydney followed by losses to Collingwood and Melbourne.

My #1 key match-up is Pittonet V English.

Changes make sense, Kemp a bit unlucky but not the outrage some are claiming it to be.

I think unless further injuries, Ed and Honey won’t be getting further games. Cottrell and Owies should help, as are both quicker and more dynamic than those they are replacing.

The fact Owies and Cottrell are somewhat important for us is rather disturbing in itself, the list is so unbalanced with slow players.

Them …

IN: James O’Donnell
OUT: Adam Treloar (hamstring), Lachie McNeil (substitute)

B: Taylor Duryea, Liam Jones, Ed Richards
HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Jason Johannisen
C: Oskar Baker, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Jack Macrae, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman
F: Arthur Jones, Aaron Naughton, Rory Lobb
R: Tim English, Bailey Smith, Tom Liberatore

Int: Ryan Gardner, Caleb Daniel, Anthony Scott, James O’Donnell

Emerg: Lachie McNeil, Mitch Hannan, Tim O’Brien, Jordon Sweet
Never heard of Arthur Jones, is he any good?

Like the ins (grunt, speed, intent); disappointed Kemp is out. Hopefully sub. Don’t like Honey & Ed in emergencies.

Otherwise strong team and hope we smash ‘em.

Hasn’t been the same since the injury in the Collingwood game last year. Looks slow and scared and not flying for intercepts Hopefully he can get some confidence back. But definitely not the same player
Makes you wonder if he has hurt it again and is trying to play through it

Changes make sense, Kemp a bit unlucky but not the outrage some are claiming it to be.

I think unless further injuries, Ed and Honey won’t be getting further games. Cottrell and Owies should help, as are both quicker and more dynamic than those they are replacing.

The fact Owies and Cottrell are somewhat important for us is rather disturbing in itself, the list is so unbalanced with slow players.
I think Honey is faster more dynamic and a better kick than Owies.But Owies reads the play has shorter steps and more agility Owies instinctive tactical awareness is much better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excited with owies and Cotters in but genuinely miffed. This is not how you treat developing players. Yo yo-ing them around. Don't care if he was out of place for a few goals kicked by the best small forwards in the comp. Defense was not even close to the reason we lost that game. Feels scape goaty. Again.
I thought the defense was 50% of the reason, if they can’t dispose of the ball to mids and forwards out of d50s then that is turnovers converting to opposition goals

sure the mids and forwards gotta provide options, but the defense also have to have a Plan B that doesn’t involve just giving it to the opposition on a silver platter ie kick to a 50:50 at least

Just an almost baseless set of theorists of mine but it’s a hypothesis:

• I think early last year they had self belief.
  • The injuries in the second half made them fear missing finals.
  • Then they actually choked and missed finals.
  • i felt back end of preseason the pressure and doubts were obvious
  • now they are worried maybe they’re not that good after all
-self perpetuating negative spiral

Just my thoughts.
Just an almost baseless set of theorists of mine but it’s a hypothesis:

• I think early last year they had self belief.
  • The injuries in the second half made them fear missing finals.
  • Then they actually choked and missed finals.
  • i felt back end of preseason the pressure and doubts were obvious
  • now they are worried maybe they’re not that good after all
-self perpetuating negative spiral

Just my thoughts.
Very real things that have and do hit and bury many clubs. Hopefully you're right and they rectify it. If you're right and they don't or if you're wrong seems like only worse things. Ie just not good enough.

Anyone else notice the three incumbents are all Matthew’s….

Happy with the ins.

Kemp is stiff but can go back to vfl and work on a few things. Would have like to keep him in for another week or so but all good. Young and plenty to learn.

Honeys main deficiency is lingering on…needs to work on some specific things. Tackling with some intent, stop running aimlessly at players, try to think about what you are doing

Last edited:
I didn’t think bringing a bunch of mats in would be how we’d respond to being walked all over by the opposition last week.

Makes sense though. Put them at the front so the Dogs can wipe their feet before they walk over the rest of the players.

3tkt6654krl31.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back