Preview 2023 Rd 9 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Saturday May 13 7:30PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Matthew Owies
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), Josh Honey (Omitted), Brodie Kemp (Omitted)

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Matt KennedyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowJordan BoydLachie Fogarty
Brodie Kemp

I’m a bit baffled that there seems to be a lot of baffle amongst us.

Perhaps I’m not getting it.

1. The backline was a pathetic disorganised rabble last week so they’re sending Doc back to try and get it organised. Makes sense.
2. That does two things: forces Kemp out and vacates a mid spot.
3. Kennedy only played back when others were out injured. Zero percent chance that happens again this week. Is in the on ball rotation.
4. Owies is an obvious upgrade on Honey and an inevitable change.
5. Cotts is a better kick and these days better player than Ed C so comes in for him as high half forward / wing cover.

Sure there may be the odd cameo from Doc in the middle but he will roll back and play sweeping defender/organiser.

Central mid group is Cripps Kennedy Walsh Hewett and Cerra. Hardly any one else will get a centre bounce (other than rucks Obvs).

Voss has done the same as he does most weeks. Super conservative. I’m not complaint by labelling it that. More meaning it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

The ins all have mental toughness which is sadly lacking.

Now. Can anyone kick the football this week? With any degree of competence? ANYONE?

THAT is the question of the week. Not selection.

Expectation is a dangerous beast.

Based on optimal output, many deserved to be dropped. Including Cripps.

You could use the 'runs on the board' argument but you need games to get those runs.

Knee-jerk dropping of young players still learning the AFL craft is not the key to long term, sustained success.

It's called 'coaching' for good reason.

Big game Saturday night, we need this win with the way our draw is for the next 5 weeks. I think this is gonna be a cracker of a game. Hewett to go to bont for me if he gets out of hand early. But don’t forget we have a pretty handy guy in Cripps they have to. worry about to
P.S hoping McKay or curnow kick 6 on Jones

I’m a bit baffled that there seems to be a lot of baffle amongst us.

Perhaps I’m not getting it.

1. The backline was a pathetic disorganised rabble last week so they’re sending Doc back to try and get it organised. Makes sense.
2. That does two things: forces Kemp out and vacates a mid spot.
3. Kennedy only played back when others were out injured. Zero percent chance that happens again this week. Is in the on ball rotation.
4. Owies is an obvious upgrade on Honey and an inevitable change.
5. Cotts is a better kick and these days better player than Ed C so comes in for him as high half forward / wing cover.

Sure there may be the odd cameo from Doc in the middle but he will roll back and play sweeping defender/organiser.

Central mid group is Cripps Kennedy Walsh Hewett and Cerra. Hardly any one else will get a centre bounce (other than rucks Obvs).

Voss has done the same as he does most weeks. Super conservative. I’m not complaint by labelling it that. More meaning it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

The ins all have mental toughness which is sadly lacking.

Now. Can anyone kick the football this week? With any degree of competence? ANYONE?

THAT is the question of the week. Not selection.

Doc will still spend time in the middle, but we won't need him as much given the make up of the Dogs mids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big game Saturday night, we need this win with the way our draw is for the next 5 weeks. I think this is gonna be a cracker of a game. Hewett to go to bont for me if he gets out of hand early. But don’t forget we have a pretty handy guy in Cripps they have to. worry about to
P.S hoping McKay or curnow kick 6 on Jones
Definelty want to see some Jones brainfades:
1. Playing so far off his man that he gets caught out and his man kicks easy goals
2. Flies for the impossible superman punch, misses and goes to ground and we score because of it.
3. Kicks it straight to a Carlton player inside 50m when exiting their back 50

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kemp stiff, hope its a matchup thing, not blaming him for positioning issues that caught out all our defence
It's bloody tough, but Kemp, Gov and JSOS are all similar types.
Just been squeezed out, still like to see him have a crack at 3rd KPF.(he's just got more pace than JSOS)

If you look at the video put up by the Saba Show that went through the 9 goals kicked by Brisbane’s small forwards, you can see why Kemp was dropped. He went up several times but didn’t come close to affecting the contest to our detriment.

To be fair he wasn’t alone, but there was no way they were dropping Newman, Young or Weitering who also had shockers.

Like that Owies and Cotts are in. Cotts provides more versatility than Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Both Cotts and Owies bring a bit of edge. You won't get left wondering by either of them.

Doc will still spend time in the middle, but we won't need him as much given the make up of the Dogs mids
I guess it what you call ‘time in the middle’. And in particular at what stage. If we are getting flogged, sure. If it’s late game and we are well in front and he’s mucking around, sure.

If the game is open either way (ie still a contest) then Voss would need to about face everything he’s done since he turned up to give Doc anything other than the VERY odd centre bounce during the ‘game is a contest’ period. I expect 0-3 CBAs max for Doc until the game is no longer a contest or there is an injury.

Voss plays a very strict 4 (when we have a few out) or 5 (his preferred) man central mid rotation that only varies for the above reasons. Or because his preferred mids are not available.

But He’s picked 5 mids this week. They will rotate in the middle until the game breaks open one way or the other. **** all cameos other than tokenistic when the game is a contest. He doesn’t do it. He likes predictability. Consistency. Playing Cripps already reduces available centre bounces dramatically for the other 4 because he attends 85-90. Means even before you get to cameos those 4 are fighting over 210-220 percent.

Kennedy will play lower minutes this week. Maybe 65-70 percent.

What's this?

Haven't you seen the doormat at PP?

715SmqJBUlL.jpg

I think the development team put it there.

This will be another very dure , tough game, plenty of talent on the park for both teams, Baggers seem to match up well against the Dogs, got my fingers crossed , I reckon they’ll bring home the 4 point just, extremely close game. Go Blues

Expectation is a dangerous beast.

Based on optimal output, many deserved to be dropped. Including Cripps.

You could use the 'runs on the board' argument but you need games to get those runs.

Knee-jerk dropping of young players still learning the AFL craft is not the key to long term, sustained success.

It's called 'coaching' for good reason.

Selections have been conservative all season but that's typical for a side trying to force finals. A lot of our bigger names were complete passengers last week but at this point Voss has to back them in. Kemps unlucky but it's hard to manage youth down back while the seniors are in dismal form.

Senior players choked last season so bad so I don't know where the "runs on the board" argument is coming from though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back