Preview 2023 Mid Season Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It would probably be a draft full of passes. List size would need to grow before that could happen.
There would definitely be more clubs passing but I think that is fine. Would rather a club passed than do what some do now and pick up a kid for 6 months knowing full well he wont get a game but is just there as a body.

There would definitely be more clubs passing but I think that is fine. Would rather a club passed than do what some do now and pick up a kid for 6 months knowing full well he wont get a game but is just there as a body.
Maybe make it if you nominate 18 months you can be picked up by any club , 6 months only home state clubs. If I had a opportunity to try prove myself I would take any time frame offered.

Maybe make it if you nominate 18 months you can be picked up by any club , 6 months only home state clubs. If I had a opportunity to try prove myself I would take any time frame offered.
I still think 6 months is just way too short a timeframe to get a good idea on a player, particularly with them not having an AFL preseason and coming into a new team halfway through a season.

I still think 6 months is just way too short a timeframe to get a good idea on a player, particularly with them not having an AFL preseason and coming into a new team halfway through a season.
It’s definitely not ideal but while the list size is the way it is I don’t think there is much choice. Maybe a 18 month Rookie category C .

Still unsure why the AFL hasn't just made it a mandatory 18 month contract for mid season draftees. 6 months is ridiculous particularly for someone having to move interstate. If clubs don't want to offer that length then they don't get to take a free 6 month hit.
Especially true if the next club in line was prepared to offer the longer contract.

Problem w/ 6 months is if you get picked up then delisted w/out getting a gig, it's unlikely you will get picked up again by another club later that year / next year, so it's a career killer. But if you extend it to 18months, then clubs will probably only pickup long term options and not go for the short-term needs players, which limits the potential of guys like that ruck/fwd Ryan we're supposedly looking at to get a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the flipside, these players get a chance they probably wouldn't without the msd! So, anyone who has the workrate and the want to succeed has a chance to prolong their career for another 12 months at the very least , Ä°F they show some good form and work ethics in their initial six months at a club.
Worth seeing it as a ' second' chance, if you like.

The standard MSD contract should be 18 months.

Players can choose to nominate for only 6 if they choose.

That way the player gets some security. If a mature age player knows he might just be the missing ingredient or an injury replacement for a finalist, he can choose to accept only 6 months.

If we don't get Hansen Jr I want one of the BHH boys.

We need to continue to reward Box Hill to entice players that it's a draft pathway especially through the Hawks.

Good for the culture and development if we have a strong second side and we will only get that by enticing the best talent to Box Hill.

If we don't get Hansen Jr I want one of the BHH boys.

We need to continue to reward Box Hill to entice players that it's a draft pathway especially through the Hawks.

Good for the culture and development if we have a strong second side and we will only get that by enticing the best talent to Box Hill.

Looks like we have an interest.

1685055603894.png

If you have to move to play with the club it should automatically be a year and a half.
I think the reason they did it because rookie contracts are only 12 months. You’d have more job security being picked in the msd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Mid Season Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back