List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we are in the market for another small defender.

Oscar Hine-Baston.

Did a pretty good job for WA on Jack Delean kept Delean to one goal. He does look a beast for someone who is 177cm tall.

Scouting notes from about a month ago for Perth.

"Another amazing performance from Hine-Baston, whose run of form this season has seen him take on more midfield minutes to great success. The on-ball shift allowed him to use his blistering speed and acceleration to get from contest to contest, regularly dishing up a string of one-percenters with his tackling and last ditch smothers to prevent the Shark’s from getting it forward. His offensive work was brilliant too, utilising that same speed to create separation out of nothing when he gets the contested footy, allowing himself those extra seconds to dish off the ultra-damaging kicks he provided regularly in this affair."

For South Australia, bottom-ager Sid Draper (180cm) – the younger brother of Collingwood’s Arlo Draper – might’ve cemented his spot in the All-Australian side, finishing with a team-high 20 disposals, 12 contested possessions, eight inside 50s and four clearances. He averaged 24.8 disposals throughout SA’s four carnival games.

After racking up 20 touches against Vic Country last week, 193cm defender Will Patton had another solid outing with 19 disposals and 11 rebound 50s. He’s arguably now SA’s top 2023 draft prospect, with Ashton Moir still struggling for consistency.

And two 2024 father-son prospects finished their carnival campaigns well. Louie Montgomery (Port Adelaide) had 18 touches and 10 contested possessions, while Tyler Welsh (Adelaide) booted 2.1 to go with his 5.1 against Vic Country six days earlier.

Draft Central Power Rankings for June.

Ashton Moir drops out of the top 20.

Madness.

I can understand him dropping due to a hip concern and also that the fabled “midfield impact” that people were looking for didn’t appear this year but there’s still all the talent there.

If I had a top 5 pick I could easily overlook him for the above reasons, but once you get out of the top 10 surely it would be hard to pass up.

Madness.

I can understand him dropping due to a hip concern and also that the fabled “midfield impact” that people were looking for didn’t appear this year but there’s still all the talent there.

If I had a top 5 pick I could easily overlook him for the above reasons, but once you get out of the top 10 surely it would be hard to pass up.

We sign Bergman I'd look at what we can get for next year's 1st to get in.

It is completely insane and there has to be a way to take advantage of it.

In the couple of games I watched I thought he looked pretty timid and a bit lazy. Is that harsh (because of his injury)?
I have only seen his highlights package from Vic County game. And lazy & timid were two of my first thoughts. Obviously some posters have seen more of him and seen plenty of potential in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we are in the market for another small defender.

Oscar Hine-Baston.

Did a pretty good job for WA on Jack Delean kept Delean to one goal. He does look a beast for someone who is 177cm tall.

Scouting notes from about a month ago for Perth.

"Another amazing performance from Hine-Baston, whose run of form this season has seen him take on more midfield minutes to great success. The on-ball shift allowed him to use his blistering speed and acceleration to get from contest to contest, regularly dishing up a string of one-percenters with his tackling and last ditch smothers to prevent the Shark’s from getting it forward. His offensive work was brilliant too, utilising that same speed to create separation out of nothing when he gets the contested footy, allowing himself those extra seconds to dish off the ultra-damaging kicks he provided regularly in this affair."
With a number of dangerous small forwards around, I think we need another small lock down defender.

Considering the current set of results, it appears like an average crop out of Vic Metro, weak to very weak crops out of SA and WA, and an exceptional crop for the allies. Vic country should be good but haven’t set the world on fire with their play and are probably average overall. Not much mature aged talent around either.

So it seems like a strong group for first round and a half, with 5-6 of those tied to academies or father sons and then a weak pool thereafter.

So have our recruiters done it again (or gotten lucky) and traded out of a weak draft?

Considering the current set of results, it appears like an average crop out of Vic Metro, weak to very weak crops out of SA and WA, and an exceptional crop for the allies. Vic country should be good but haven’t set the world on fire with their play and are probably average overall. Not much mature aged talent around either.

So it seems like a strong group for first round and a half, with 5-6 of those tied to academies or father sons and then a weak pool thereafter.

So have our recruiters done it again (or gotten lucky) and traded out of a weak draft?
whynotboth.gif

With a number of dangerous small forwards around, I think we need another small lock down defender.
I feel we genuinely lack leg speed in the Back six as much as we lack Height. Not to say the lads are slow back there but you’re either quick or you’re slow. This may also be a development issue, hard to defend Pace and get those dangerous blokes forward of the footy and back in zone and structure to beat 1:1 defending/football.

But I also couldn’t name an elite back pocket with top end pace these days either?

We’ve arguably got one of the quickest back 6ers going around.

It’s definitely the quickest backline we’ve ever fielded in our afl era.

What youve just listed about going up and getting back is what we’ve picked our backline to do.
What’s your take on the draft overall? Is it a weaker crop or am I reading too much into the state game results?

ESPN July Power Rankings.

McCabe the only SA player top 20.

If we can find a pick between 20-30 we can get a genuinely good pick up.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back