News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

When we're relying on player managers to bring the sense back it says everything about the current footy media
The sad think is that we’ve seen way worse basket case club (clubs that have lived in the bottom for years on end) and yet we’ve never seen the media questions whether kids would wanna go there.

Another good piece from ABC's Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson, covering the result against Sydney last week:

Anatomy of a demolition — how the Swans picked apart the Eagles to create AFL history

Some interesting nuggets within include:
  • Sydney scored 108 points from just 58 intercepts

• Future outcomes for coaches of 120+ point losses since 1990:
Only 15 of the 35 coaches to lead their side to a massive defeat lost their jobs in the near term. Just two were axed the following week. The majority went on to keep coaching, either for several more years, or until a managed handover

• Finals droughts of teams who had losses over 130 points:
70% of the worst beaten teams have made finals within three to four seasons after a 20 goal loss. Four — nearly one fifth — of these teams made a grand final in this time.

Also provides a measured approach to viewing the future for the club, rather than just foaming at the mouth like most coverage does at the moment.

There will be more pain, but nothing very good or very bad lasts for very long. Whether Simpson successfully follows fellow Eagles premiership coach John Worsfold in leading the Eagles out the other side, or whether someone else takes the reins, the rebuild will come.
A slew of talented draftees will come. New experience and confidence among the current raw younger players will come. That's the cycle. It's happened before. It'll happen again.

The sad think is that we’ve seen way worse basket case club (clubs that have lived in the bottom for years on end) and yet we’ve never seen the media questions whether kids would wanna go there.
Those clubs are/were mostly Victorian/Northern clubs. The Vic media will spruik how it's "Good for the game" when the 'Big 4' are up and about and how they need the best talent and that the best players should play at the 'home of football' in front of large crowds.

Maybe they should go to Optus when WCE are flying and see what it's truly like to be a star player for a powerhouse club that's contending?

A half-empty MCG/Marvel can't compare.

They also wouldn't want to shit on the Northern clubs(other than GC) because the AFL wouldn't like that.

WCE are the biggest/richest club in the country, so they're a safe target. They also still hate the fact that WCE has been so successful since they entered the comp.

Let them have their fun. It'll be all the more sweeter when we bag no.6, especially considering we have an actual opportunity to build for a proper dynasty this time.

Another good piece from ABC's Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson, covering the result against Sydney last week:

Anatomy of a demolition — how the Swans picked apart the Eagles to create AFL history

Some interesting nuggets within include:
  • Sydney scored 108 points from just 58 intercepts

• Future outcomes for coaches of 120+ point losses since 1990:
Only 15 of the 35 coaches to lead their side to a massive defeat lost their jobs in the near term. Just two were axed the following week. The majority went on to keep coaching, either for several more years, or until a managed handover

• Finals droughts of teams who had losses over 130 points:
70% of the worst beaten teams have made finals within three to four seasons after a 20 goal loss. Four — nearly one fifth — of these teams made a grand final in this time.

Also provides a measured approach to viewing the future for the club, rather than just foaming at the mouth like most coverage does at the moment.

There will be more pain, but nothing very good or very bad lasts for very long. Whether Simpson successfully follows fellow Eagles premiership coach John Worsfold in leading the Eagles out the other side, or whether someone else takes the reins, the rebuild will come.
A slew of talented draftees will come. New experience and confidence among the current raw younger players will come. That's the cycle. It's happened before. It'll happen again.

Great analysis. ABC produce some excellent pieces on AFL, so much more than flicking through the AFL app seeing who had the most touches for a team.

Those clubs are/were mostly Victorian/Northern clubs. The Vic media will spruik how it's "Good for the game" when the 'Big 4' are up and about and how they need the best talent and that the best players should play at the 'home of football' in front of large crowds.

Maybe they should go to Optus when WCE are flying and see what it's truly like to be a star player for a powerhouse club that's contending?

They also wouldn't want to s**t on the Northern clubs(other than GC) because the AFL wouldn't like that.

WCE are the biggest/richest club in the country, so they're a safe target. They also still hate the fact that WCE has been so successful since they entered the comp.

Let them have their fun. It'll be all the more sweeter when we bag no.6, especially considering we have an actual opportunity to build for a proper dynasty this time.
Funnily enough the only vic who see's this is Eddie Macguire and he understands the importance of a strong Eagles outfit to the comp.

They also wouldn't want to s**t on the Northern clubs(other than GC) because the AFL wouldn't like that.

And no.5!

Forget the draft misses. It's these trade hits that hurt.

"Since 2018, the Eagles have traded Tom Hickey in and out, delisted GWS recruit Zac Langdon and surprised other clubs when they secured Alex Witherden and Sam Petrevski-Seton, who rivals thought lacked competitiveness."

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I actually am going to enjoy watching the rebuild, already enjoy watching Ginbey, long, Hewitt.
If i was in charge every player above 27 would only get a 1 year contract if they don't like it they can leave( probably why i would never be in charge).
The lot of 30 year olds would be paid out and shown the door.
At present why wouldn't you want to play for WCE you get lengthy contracts & you can still play when you are past it.
Its going to take a long time for WCE to be competitive again but lets enjoy watching the young guys take the club forward, they really dont need mentors on the field so p*** off all the older guys this year.

The continuing attack from Cornes.
Says Simmo is the worst press conference performer and keeps using injuries as an excuse.

Christ knows what he wants him to say.

Justin Longmuire looks like a deer in the headlights and Vossy reads off of notes.

Last edited:
Says Simmo is the worst press conference performer and keeps using injuries as an excuse.

* knows what he wants him to say.

Justin Longmuire looks like a deer in the headlights and Vossy reads of notes.

Cornes is in a petty game of one-upsmanship through his raft of media platforms because he’s shitty at Simpson and Nisbett for belittling him and his shock jock ways in past media interviews.

Sooky little campaigner he is.

Cornes is in a petty game of one-upsmanship through his raft of media platforms because he’s shitty at Simpson and Nisbett for belittling him and his shock jock ways in past media interviews.

Sooky little campaigner he is.
I never read or listen so I will take your advice in this. Generally if you are not being highly sensational you are lost in the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club not putting anyone up to speak to ABC Sports Talk this morning. Not the Chairman, CEO or anyone in the football department. Disappointing from the media team to not make anyone available.

Jaymie Graham speaks well.

Good article by Malthouse.

AFL 2023: Mick Malthouse on Adam Simpson and coaching from the bottom of the ladder​

Chris Scott is a great coach, writes Mick Malthouse. But until he’s walked in Adam Simpson’s shoes, we can’t say for sure just how great. This is how to coach from the bottom.

It’s the old adage, you’ve never coached until you’ve coached the bottom team.
There’s very little escaping the pressures from everywhere when you are behind the rest of the competition. West Coast will finish bottom this season, which means Adam Simpson is in new territory.

Being near or close to the bottom of the ladder has certainly sorted out a few coaches and clubs throughout history. No one likes it, no one wants it. The test is to be able to come out the other side better for it.

I don’t use these words lightly – Chris Scott is a great coach. But until he samples what Simpson is currently going through, and others have been through, we can’t draw a final conclusion on how great he is.

Some will coach their entire careers without entering that territory. But most will at least sample the weight of carrying the whole competition above them.
Simpson will be getting advice from anyone and everyone. Mine is not advice, but a story.
Coaching Footscray as a young, debutant coach, still fills me with pride. But it was the challenges of 1987 and 1989 that perhaps defined my next chapter, with West Coast.

In 1987 we lost the first three games by a combined 42 goals. In the fourth round, against the reigning premier Hawthorn, we won. And ended up missing finals by just half a game.

There was no easy solution, as players left the financially struggling club for monetary gain, or retirement. My answer was to put as many talented under-19 players into the team as possible. We had some good wins and some bad losses. It was a learning curve for all.
In 1989, the spectre of a merger with Fitzroy clouded our entire season and loomed large over the playing group. Uncertainty can breed inaction. But in this case we still managed six wins and a draw by sticking together and playing the season out.

The Dogs were ultimately saved and have since become a force again.
West Coast won’t fold because the club itself is in a healthy position thanks to Trevor Nisbett and the board. But right now, it is going through a horrible time.
It wasn’t that long ago that Hawthorn and Melbourne were in merger talks, yet history shows that the Hawks are one of the most successful clubs ever, and Melbourne has survived in its own right.

West Coast will survive this period and it will be the catalyst for its future success.
Not that it does Simpson any good to think about what could happen in eight to 10 years’ time. His immediate thoughts must be to gain credibility back for the club and its supporters, to give his players some hope, and to advise the club – including the board – of a direction forward.

When I took over as coach at Collingwood in 2000, we were rock bottom. I had the capacity to change the list quite severely, which I did, and we ended up playing off in the grand finals of 2002 and 2003, losing both to the great Brisbane Lions team.
After the 2003 loss I went to the board and told them that team, unfortunately, wouldn’t win a premiership. We needed to restructure the group and start over.

So, with many players retiring or being moved on, we started again. 2004 and 2005 were not great years as far as ladder positions went, but we accumulated enough good players to add on to our playing list which by 2007 almost toppled the great Geelong team in the preliminary final.
The involvement of young players coming through from the draft like Scott Pendlebury, Dale Thomas, Dane Swan, Alan Didak and Heath Shaw, gave us enough impetus to be the catalyst for the 2010 premiership.

I questioned that decision through sleepless nights, but I knew we had to take some pain for long-term gain. It was whether or not the board could stomach it, too? There were many moments when they almost couldn’t, but it’s in those times that it’s most important to hold your nerve and your direction.

It won’t lead to a premiership every time, but if you are prepared to hold the line it can at least get the club back into a competitive position.
Coupled with good recruitment, the 2010 Magpie premiership team had seven or eight players from the rookie list, one being captain Nick Maxwell. What I’m saying here is: the board needs to know that the journey is going to be tough, but with a recruitment panel that understands your needs, a senior playing group that will nurture young players coming through, and a strong football club that works together, anything is possible.

As far as game plans go, things that have been tested and failed before, shouldn’t be repeated. As Albert Einstein said, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
Only Simpson will know whether or not the 2018 premiership system will work for this West Coast group again.

That is, when he has a full list back on the park. Everyone in football knows how much the Eagles have suffered with injuries and I defy any coach to sustain those same injuries to their list and stay in a position to win.

My take is that the Eagles’ senior players have lost their effectiveness from an overload of expectation. It can become wearisome to continually be the go-to, when the younger players are looking to you to set the work and effort example.

If they think they’ve got no hope, then you have no hope, and that is a disease that seeps through organisations and takes no prisoners.
It’s hard enough in a Melbourne environment when one club suffers the scrutiny of a lacklustre season, but in an environment like Perth – a two-team town where the big boys on the block are the Eagles, because of their success for so long – it becomes abhorrent.

Those who do not support West Coast can’t wait to put the boot in, and that includes some of the media lining up on the sidelines at training waiting to ask about the effort, the coach, the players, and the club, all of which becomes a distraction from playing good football.

I’d love to have a solution, but if my advice is worth anything, I would suggest that Simpson never let it be seen that he is carrying a defeatist burden. To keep his head high no matter the inner turmoil and to show signs of positivity and development.
Yes, the year is lost, but it’s what the Eagles can salvage from the rest of the season that will define the coach, the football club, and the future.

Very very wide of the mark. Simmo will refer obliquely to selection difficulties but then follow up with ‘that’s not an excuse’.
Well I think it’s a bloody legitimate excuse that could have been trotted out far more. It’s the elephant in the room.
The Malthouse article addresses it directly. Despite Kanes’ massive ego I’d suggest Mick is far better qualified to comment. Indeed almost uniquely qualified.

Everyone in football knows how much the Eagles have suffered with injuries and I defy any coach to sustain those same injuries to their list and stay in a position to win.”

Very very wide of the mark. Simmo will refer obliquely to selection difficulties but then follow up with ‘that’s not an excuse’.
Well I think it’s a bloody legitimate excuse that could have been trotted out far more. It’s the elephant in the room.
The Malthouse article addresses it directly. Despite Kanes’ massive ego I’d suggest Mick is far better qualified to comment. Indeed almost uniquely qualified.

Everyone in football knows how much the Eagles have suffered with injuries and I defy any coach to sustain those same injuries to their list and stay in a position to win.”
Exactly. Would like to know how Kane thinks Port would go with this for a side

B: Williams, Pasini, Burton
HB: Jones, McCallum, Houston
C: Barkla, Wines, Mead
HF: Bonner, Dixon, Jackson
F: Sinn, Scully, Mcentee
Foll: Visente, Drew, Dumont

Int: K. Marshall, Georgiades, Evans, Burgoyne

Who are half those players you ask? Exactly.

Exactly. Would like to know how Kane thinks Port would go with this for a side

B: Williams, Pasini, Burton
HB: Jones, McCallum, Houston
C: Barkla, Wines, Mead
HF: Bonner, Dixon, Jackson
F: Sinn, Scully, Mcentee
Foll: Visente, Drew, Dumont

Int: K. Marshall, Georgiades, Evans, Burgoyne

Who are half those players you ask? Exactly.
half our team are almost colts. who was it that said play the kids?
all is going to be well. avoid morons and media

half our team are almost colts. who was it that said play the kids?
all is going to be well. avoid morons and media

I posted the article a couple weeks ago of Haselby saying on SEN that the Eagles need to start playing the kids even though we already are playing the kids cos we got 20 blokes on the injured list :drunk:

I posted the article a couple weeks ago of Haselby saying on SEN that the Eagles need to start playing the kids even though we already are playing the kids cos we got 20 blokes on the injured list :drunk:
Haselby, Cornes and the Walking Dead (Barrett) make the Three Stooges look like Rhodes Scholars. These three are your bargain basement shock-jocks, nothing more. Cornes and the Walking Dead wouldn't have a clue about what's happening west of the SA border. In summary, two and three quarter (Haselby) dickheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back