Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad going down
Bruest another year older
Brockman potentially leaving

Butler not there yet
Moore needed more up the ground

Small forwards needed for 2024 please
It's a massive hole in the list at the moment.

Probably our number one deficiency if we assume Kosy and Ryan can continue to hold down a second key forward / back up ruck position.

Butler has had plenty of opportunities to stake a claim as our new primary small forward but he looks a fair way off it at the moment.

Are you looking for a Wizard to grant your wish for small forwards?
I'm unsure if wizardry is ideal for us- he looks like he would move into a midfield position down the track
Full time small pressure forwards take some time to develop.

I would be throwing some cash money brockmans way to stay imo... I don't think *Gresham kicks enough goals but hes great around the ground

Y'all forgetting about O'Sullivan.

I'm quietly confident about the prospects of both he and Butler.

I want to see Sammy given two full games for the final two rounds. Then a big pre-season awaits.

I'll keep an eye on O'Sullivan then!

For so long spoiled with Poppy, Cyril and Breust as our small forward brigade

So can we offer Chad a base 2024 contract and place him on the LTI list? Re-assess where he is at mate 2024 as to a possible extension?

I think this is a lovely thing to do for Chad, but maybe not good for the club. Club comes first.

If he can have a role on he LTI, for entire year, without effecting things, maybe. If he has good coaching skills / leadership off the field.

Might be a hard call coming up.

Last edited:
Think we all secretly know the right call is that this is the end for chad. Extending him a year to sit on the LTI is just avoiding the tough chat. Feel for the guy, his time at hawthorn didn’t really work out in the end but wasn’t for a lack of effort, always felt he was giving his all.

Some ordinary VFL performances this week.

Tucker 2 touches, 1 behind, 1 hitout. Did he get injured or is just raw? Poor performance in his body is understandable.
Meek 6 and 19 hitouts.
Morris 9. You'd think his papers are stamped.
Ramsden 10 and 17 hitouts.
Butler 11 and 0.0.
Brockman 12 and 1.1. Reports are he looks like he's checked out.
Long 15 and 0.1.
Stephens 15 and 0.0.
Sorry but how would you know ? you clearly didn’t watch the game. As someone who has watched every game and specifically this game you should know more than half the game was played in terrible wet and raining conditions. We got outplayed by a side who is playing great football with 10 wins on the bounce.
Tucker - he’s 18 in the wet playing about game 4 come back in 4 years.
Rucks were dominated by arguably the #1 vfl ruckman in sweet no disgrace especially in the wet
Brockman isn’t checked out total bullshit. He looks it as he plays in a lackadaisical manner. he was ok so was butler neither would have earned a call up but not bad.
Long and stephens had their first down days in a while everyone does. Footscray were more desperate and spread better.
Yes Morris is gone as is bramble.
I thought Serong and Jeka both played very well again we should see them in the seniors before the year is out.
Overall this loss had been coming I would argue we had been ok but nothing more for a month or so. You know the games are shown live on the AFL app right and the replays are up there as well. Thanks to grumbleguts who posts the replay link to me each week so I can watch without knowing the score.

Sorry but how would you know ? you clearly didn’t watch the game. As someone who has watched every game and specifically this game you should know more than half the game was played in terrible wet and raining conditions. We got outplayed by a side who is playing great football with 10 wins on the bounce.
Rucks were dominated by arguably the #1 vfl ruckman in sweet no disgrace especially in the wet
Brockman isn’t checked out total bullshit. He looks it as he plays in a lackadaisical manner. he was ok so was butler neither would have earned a call up but not bad.
Long and stephens had their first down days in a while everyone does. Footscray were more desperate and spread better.
I thought Serong and Jeka both played very well again we should see them in the seniors before the year is out.
Overall this loss had been coming I would argue we had been ok but nothing more for a month or so. You know the games are shown live on the AFL app right and the replays are up there as well. Thanks to grumbleguts who posts the replay link to me each week so I can watch without knowing the score.
How did O'Sullivan go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore wasn’t going to make it. Seamus wasn’t going to make it. Kozi was done 2 weeks ago. Things change. Players develop at different rates. Some players actually play better at AFL level than VFL level when given the chance.
Moore, Nash, Seamus all had clearly identifiable AFL traits. I think long has the tank perhaps but I don't see a bonafide AFL football skill set in either Cooper or Ned.

Moore, Nash, Seamus all had clearly identifiable AFL traits. I think long has the tank perhaps but I don't see a bonafide AFL football skill set in either Cooper or Ned.
I think Long is unfortunately going to be a strong VFL player who would have been suited a generation ago but not how the game has changed. Stephens has the traits he is very evasive in the clinches. I am sure that’s why Sam targeted him. He seems to look for players who can win their own footy and then create space like he used to do. Stephens has been unlucky with injury and then the unexpected quick rise of our midfield. I still see a spot for him but how she develops that dual position ability will be what determines his future with us.

So you're basically saying our recruiting brains trust completely got the Stephens trade wrong less than 12 mths ago?

Some ordinary VFL performances this week.

Tucker 2 touches, 1 behind, 1 hitout. Did he get injured or is just raw? Poor performance in his body is understandable.
Meek 6 and 19 hitouts.
Morris 9. You'd think his papers are stamped.
Ramsden 10 and 17 hitouts.
Butler 11 and 0.0.
Brockman 12 and 1.1. Reports are he looks like he's checked out.
Long 15 and 0.1.
Stephens 15 and 0.0.
Conditions were ordinary. Showers all game. We didn't adapt against a very hungry side that have won 8 in a row. I wouldn't be writing individual players off given we were down all across the board.

So you're basically saying our recruiting brains trust completely got the Stephens trade wrong less than 12 mths ago?

Did anyone really see both Nash and Worpel having such strong seasons?

I think the club tried to make the best of a bad situation and tried to bring in a younger player with some untapped potential. Though what has eventuated was Nash and Worpel both stepped-up in a huge way, which has left Stephens toiling away in the VFL all season, given they play similar roles and none of them are versatile.

Also, Geelong weren't in a position to give up gun youngsters when they're about to embark on a long rebuild.

We now have a clear starting unit of four midfielders that have developed a great synergy all season, in Newcombe, Day, Nash and Worpel. Those four have taken the vast majority of CBA's all season.

After that we have Ward, MacDonald and Mackenzie, who are all clearly ahead of Stephens and Long. I don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't believe those three have higher upsides too. I expect Mackenzie will be spending more time in the middle next season after a big preseason.

Last edited:
By the same token you are implying that the cats recruiting brain's trust were completely wrong?

I just don't think he is that good. It's not like we gave up a lot to get him so i don't see how that is casting aspersions at the recruiters anyway.

Some people don't have the luxury of enough free time to watch every game mate. There's no need for that reaction to querying some below average stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back