Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 24 vs. Essendon, MCG, Fri 25/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit different with Hill. McRae said on Friday night that Hill could have played. Assume this was after scans.

Should mean he's at least a chance to play. Don't think we'll be as cautious with him as others. Feel he and Ginnivan are playing for one spot, possibly the sub. So think we'd like Hill to play against Bombers. Though I guess performing against Bombers isn't going to alter our thinking much.
Playing Hill, McCreery, Ginnivan and Elliot is an absolutely sizzling forward line.
I’d play them all.

Playing Hill, McCreery, Ginnivan and Elliot is an absolutely sizzling forward line.
I’d play them all.
I think it's too many. Small forwards can struggle for impact in big games. Playing 4 of them (plus Adams) is overkill. Also need to look at who you're leaving out. Doing my best 23 it became difficult to fit them all in.

This is not a dead rubber, if we lose this we can almost kiss goodbye to any chance we have of going deep into September - we need a confidence booster and restore some belief heading into the bye.

Also I’m of the opinion Mitchell needs to go from the midfield. Not getting it done inside, and lack of leg speed is killing us in transition.
What change do you suggest>

This is not a dead rubber, if we lose this we can almost kiss goodbye to any chance we have of going deep into September - we need a confidence booster and restore some belief heading into the bye.

Also I’m of the opinion Mitchell needs to go from the midfield. Not getting it done inside, and lack of leg speed is killing us in transition.
Look at the Swans coming into the finals on the strength of six wins (though should have lost against Adelaide).

nonsense
our performance in this game will have little bearing on our finals

i don't understand why supporters project their experience of watching as a supporter onto players who are professionals in a technical and professional environment

nonsense
our performance in this game will have little bearing on our finals

i don't understand why supporters project their experience of watching as a supporter onto players who are professionals in a technical and professional environment

You don't thinks players are affected by confidence and form? You don't think losing hurts their confidence?

Across the last 4 games we've lost our ability to overrun teams in the final quarter.

3.3 vs 5.3 Brisbane
3.2 vs 5.6 Geelong
3.2 vs 4.2 Hawthorn
4.5 vs 4.3 Carlton
6.3 vs 3.2 Port Adelaide

So is this a culmination of our current form, an indication of our effort, mindset, training loads or simply the good work of the opposition?

A combination of everything is the easy answer I guess.

More worryingly can we flick the switch and regain that overwhelming belief we can win a game from any position?

We've achieved some truly special victories under Fly but the very fact we recognise how unique our situation has been means we know it can't last forever.

I was hoping however it can last 6 more weeks.
The 4th quarter comebacks occur when there is something to play for. Requires digging deep and putting all on the line to come back. Pies haven’t been prepared to do that since beating Port and giving them at the time a 6 game advantage over 5th spot!

They still have the ability and will back themselves when the moment arrives. I wouldn’t look too much in the 4th quarters since the Port game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox was excellent in the centre square and needs to come back into the starting 22.

I think we can play both Cameron and Cox at the G. We will need them pushing back to help out the defenders.

While I sit typing this post, I am largely unaware I have hamstrings. I guess you're only aware when you do something to it and feel it complaining about the action you just demanded from it.
Used to teach with a guy (long time ago) who was a champion schoolboy athlete in his day (a very long time ago) and quite a funny bloke. He said to me on one occasion - "you know NMBB, we couldn't afford hamstrings in my day"!

How much will we benefit from playing full strength and smashing Essendon? Should we tank and play all the kids just to finish second and play Port first final at the G?

How much will we benefit from playing full strength and smashing Essendon? Should we tank and play all the kids just to finish second and play Port first final at the G?
Don't know about tanking but I'd rather play Port at the MCG in the first final than Melbourne where we wouldn't have a home ground advantage - that said we need some momentum from a good win in the last round as well.

Move Lets See GIF - Move Lets See If It - Discover & Share GIFs

Don't know about tanking but I'd rather play Port at the MCG in the first final than Melbourne where we wouldn't have a home ground advantage - that said we need some momentum from a good win in the last round as well.

I think the opposite. If we have to play Melbourne I’d rather it was in a double chance game than an elimination game…. And have our home state advantage when it really matters in the prelim and GF.

Surely both Reef and Finn in particular have to be coming into consideration.

I’ve got a lingering concern that we aren’t exposing enough of our youth, long enough, to work out whether they have the talent to make it.

McInnes is in rich form.

Howe down back… McInness up front

As others have said De Goey and Hill need to play if remotely fit, so as to have some touch pre first final… plus they bring sorely needed x factor

Ruscoe needs to be on standby if murphy out.

Allan has run and could come in and play an outside role… otherwise the VFL cupboard is bare.

Johnson not needed up front and too tepid with his effort when he does play.

Bianco, Macrae, don’t add enough run for a side already lacking it

If mediocre Essendon can kick 14-15 goals against us this week… then it’s goodbye flag 👋

Shows that the defensive effort and cohesion has endemically broken down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back