Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 24 vs. Essendon, MCG, Fri 25/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll see lol Thats what they said about Moore
I thought his was reported as 'tightness'

Which did seem an optimistic assessment after seeing how he left the ground.

I didn't see any footage of Bobby at training. Did you see it (when he became aware of his hammie) at training Jen? 😆

I thought his was reported as 'tightness'

Which did seem an optimistic assessment after seeing how he left the ground.

I didn't see any footage of Bobby at training. Did you see it (when he became aware of his hammie) at training Jen? 😆
Fly said tightness in his presser during the week.

No, I was on the other side, all I recall is him doing the warm ups, then lost sight of him after that. So between the warm up drills and match sim is where it happened.

St Kilda making our 8 point win over Geelong look less impressive by the minute
Silly. Every week it's a new game with different attitudes, ground and line ups.
You could play that game all night. The Blues fell in a against team we led 12 goals to 1.

Each week the game throws up new scenarios.

Starting to think that since Bobby has a minor issue with the hamstring, he should not be risked next week. JDG should definitely come in though - he needs another run before finals.
I would also rest Murphy as a precaution.
Howe will have to come back to defence to provide leadership back there with both Murph and Darcy out.
If Elliott is even slightly injured, rest him.
So in the event of the worst possible scenario, my changes:
Outs: Murphy (inj), Elliott (inj/rest), Ryan (inj), McCreery (susp)
In: JDG, Ruscoe, McInnes, Harrison
Sub Harrison
Cox into the 22.

We'll see lol Thats what they said about Moore
A bit different with Hill. McRae said on Friday night that Hill could have played. Assume this was after scans.

Should mean he's at least a chance to play. Don't think we'll be as cautious with him as others. Feel he and Ginnivan are playing for one spot, possibly the sub. So think we'd like Hill to play against Bombers. Though I guess performing against Bombers isn't going to alter our thinking much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting to think that since Bobby has a minor issue with the hamstring, he should not be risked next week. JDG should definitely come in though - he needs another run before finals.
I would also rest Murphy as a precaution.
Howe will have to come back to defence to provide leadership back there with both Murph and Darcy out.
If Elliott is even slightly injured, rest him.
So in the event of the worst possible scenario, my changes:
Outs: Murphy (inj), Elliott (inj/rest), Ryan (inj), McCreery (susp)
In: JDG, Ruscoe, McInnes, Harrison
Sub Harrison
Cox into the 22.
We could just rest the whole team and play the VFL side. There's hardly a player yet to be nominated for a rest.

Personally, I would like to finish with a win. Otherwise, the only team we will have beaten in the last 4 weeks is Geelong, who in turn put in a very ordinary performance against St Kilda today. Jeremy Cameron very quiet - unlike against us.

We could just rest the whole team and play the VFL side. There's hardly a player yet to be nominated for a rest.

Personally, I would like to finish with a win. Otherwise, the only team we will have beaten in the last 4 weeks is Geelong, who in turn put in a very ordinary performance against St Kilda today. Jeremy Cameron very quiet - unlike against us.
Good point re Cameron. How was it that St Kilda totally nullified Cameron, while he monstered us?
I think because St Kilda combined elite leg speed with massive attack on the contested ball.
They smashed Geelong as soon as the ball hit the ground, and in defence were always at the contest and got the ball to ground level where they dominated against a slow opponent.
Contested ball is an area where we have dropped off lately, either due to playing games of less significance, or tiredness.
Concerned also about the lack of speed in our mids.
The return of JDG will be very significant addressing this, but we will also have to look at other strategies (maybe Cox taking centre bounces, and using his height to just thump the ball forward, for example ).
That is why, if we have to find reinforcements from the VFL, for me McInnes is first cab off the rank because he has speed.

You know the bombers will come out and play the match of their season against us and we’ll scrape by by a couple of points after GWS beat them by a million points.
Stringer will pull 5 goals out of nowhere and look like Gary snr and Draper will make Cameron look like, well he’ll look like Darcy Cameron and get flogged.

Out: Beau (susp), Murphy (inj), Ryan (inj), Mitchell
In: De Goey, Hill, Noble, Reef/Ruscoe

I'd drop Mitchell. Either cooked or struggling with something. Give him two weeks off before finals. If he's not good by then, don't play him.

Possibly one or two others to miss for management.

I don't see Fly taking this game lightly now with regard resting players. I think he will play the best available team to get the balance right. We need as few changes as possible in the first final. There is the bye round after next week. So many players need to find form and this is an opportunity. Also, if we are evolving and need to react to how other teams beat us then we need to implement it next week as we should now play every game on the MCG.

Recent games have to be put into context. We had a massive game against Port interstate and backed up off a short break to play the Blues who had a training run against WC the week before. We caught the Hawks in strong vein of form. Beat the Cats (who couldn't back up after a tough game with us) and lost to Brisbane with our best players missing. Seriously don't listen to the media. Have faith. Our best is still the best.

I am sure Degoey and Hill were ideally rested to now make a run at the finals starting next week.

The only changes should be the forced changes.

Lets see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is not a dead rubber, if we lose this we can almost kiss goodbye to any chance we have of going deep into September - we need a confidence booster and restore some belief heading into the bye.

Also I’m of the opinion Mitchell needs to go from the midfield. Not getting it done inside, and lack of leg speed is killing us in transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back