Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 24 vs. Essendon, MCG, Fri 25/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our zone defending when the opposition has the ball gets found out with teams that can kick accurately chipping it down the ground. I lost count how many times Brisbane were able to move the ball from one end to the other without much opposition with short 20-30 metre passes cutting through our zone rather than man on man defence.
Amen to this.

Happened every time that we have lost periods of games. The teams that beat us kept it up the whole game.

There wouldn't be many players at this time of the year who are 100%.

We either want to win next week & pick a team accordingly.

Or we put a bunch of young kids in who are clearly not AFL standard so we can rest players from our best 22 for 2 weeks going into the finals.

Not sure I'm keen on risking another loss for our last match of the year resulting in 3 losses in 4 weeks heading into the finals series.
We'll go for the win next week but some players who would have played if the game were important will miss, just like this week. There's no sense in risking further injury to those who are banged up.

Also like this week our mentality is not likely to be fully switched on. It's not easy to fake that. We should have enough for a win but it's not the priority right now.

Has anyone got any reliable info from a source re: heavy training loads? or are we reading between the lines of pressers and being optimistic?
Serious question as I remain hopeful it's the reason for our form in the last month.
The reason for our form slump in the last month is because the boys have had their heads in September. I think we'll come good in the finals

No problem with Beau getting a week off. Enforced resting is a good thing right now. All we need is to have as many as possible available for week one of finals. Beau now pretty much locked in.

The reason for our form slump in the last month is because the boys have had their heads in September. I think we'll come good in the finals
This is my last hope. I wonder if being pretty much guaranteed top 4 for 5ish weeks (or whatever it has been) has a subconscious psychological effect. In some ways, I hope it does...

This is my last hope. I wonder if being pretty much guaranteed top 4 for 5ish weeks (or whatever it has been) has a subconscious psychological effect. In some ways, I hope it does...
I'm very confident this is what's happening. I'm not even fussed what happens next week. Come finals time, we'll be ready for anyone

I'm very confident this is what's happening. I'm not even fussed what happens next week. Come finals time, we'll be ready for anyone

Watching Carlton, Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane mids waltz around our players is more a symptom of our one dimensional midfield rather than training loads. Take Nick out and everyone else is treacle slow. Sure, when we get our hands on the ball we look ok, but when the opps gets it, they blast past our players. The 6-6-6 makes us vulnerable to quick goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see a Pie supporter from overseas. Glad that you love our game. Be wary though friend, this team will break your heart several times.
Thanks Mate. I know, i got to know the history of the Club by now.

I witnessed the painful losses since our last Premier 2010.
But Well, i am no bandwagon changer. Stand by their side in good Times and More so in Bad Times.

Across the last 4 games we've lost our ability to overrun teams in the final quarter.

3.3 vs 5.3 Brisbane
3.2 vs 5.6 Geelong
3.2 vs 4.2 Hawthorn
4.5 vs 4.3 Carlton
6.3 vs 3.2 Port Adelaide

So is this a culmination of our current form, an indication of our effort, mindset, training loads or simply the good work of the opposition?

A combination of everything is the easy answer I guess.

More worryingly can we flick the switch and regain that overwhelming belief we can win a game from any position?

We've achieved some truly special victories under Fly but the very fact we recognise how unique our situation has been means we know it can't last forever.

I was hoping however it can last 6 more weeks.

Last edited:
Across the 4 games we've lost our ability to overrun teams in the final quarter.

3.3 vs 5.3 Brisbane
3.2 vs 5.6 Geelong
3.2 vs 4.2 Hawthorn
4.5 vs 4.3 Carlton
6.3 vs 3.2 Port Adelaide

So is this a culmination of our current form, an indication of our effort, mindset, training loads or simply the good work of the opposition?

A combination of everything is the easy answer I guess.

More worryingly can we flick the switch and regain that overwhelming belief we can win a game from any position?

We've achieved some truly special victories under Fly but the very fact we recognise how unique our situation has been means we know it can't last forever.

I was hoping however it can last 6 more weeks.
It's either a drop off due to top two pretty much locked in or a failure in coaching (adjusting to oppo tactics) or player management. We'll find out in finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back