Opinion Our Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect opportunity to go with someone who sets a competitive tone & drags others along.. and some of you want Houston lol

I was down watching training a few months ago and was watching Aliir and was surprised on how vocal he was with all the players and though that he would make a great captain one day....

Love, love, love Pep, but not sure he would be a great Captain..

Wines for the next couple and then Rozee. He has Captain written all over him, jut not yet.

Hinkley’s successor would be Wines what with the co-captain debacle and general Hinklenomics. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has it for 2-3 and see what the likes of Butters, Rozee, Bergman and JHF can bring to the leadership table both on and off the field in the meantime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s hard to tell from the outside but feels like there are a number of strong leaders at the club who could step up.

I don’t see any need for a stop gap before Rozee or Butters, if they are the best leaders pick them now.

Rozee has been so consistent for 2 years. Basically doesn’t play a bad game.

Butters may well win a Brownlow this year and is very comfortable in the media.

You could mount any argument for any of Houston, Wines or SPP as well.

I would normally vote Wines, but the rumoured bone on bone issues with one of his knees is a concern. Ideally, you want a Captain who leads by example & thrives in adversity, I think that man is Zak Butters.

Wines should've been captain 2 seasons back after winning the Brownlow. He probably still should, but with his injuries and the subsequent form it's pretty murky as to whether he should now be offered the role.

My thoughts are

C - Rozee
VC - Wines

Really should have been Wines last year, or at least this year. Feels like a bit of a stop gap finally giving it to him at 29, but I think that's what'll happen.

Hopefully if the time comes in a couple of years for a handover to Rozee or someone in the younger crew, he hands it over proactively to avoid this situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Our Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back