Opinion Our Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines is the natural progression but I think the transition has been left too late for him.
Butters to me is more of a sergeant at arms.
Rozee could be good but not sure of his standing with the playing group.
Houston seems too mild and shy.
Durry Bong-Cones though, for the memes.
Houston not mild or shy and def has leadership aspirations

I don't understand the talk that Rozee is too young when if he were named captain for 2024, at the start of that season he would only be a few months younger than what Boak was in 2013.

Both Rozee and Butters are future leaders of the Club, but I would be inclined to give the top job to Connor. In addition to his leadership on field he carries himself like a leader off field and in media. Pretty much the ideal candidate imo.

Ollie's time has come and gone. Going to be 29 next month - and given his patchy form this year the last thing he truly needs is extra responsibility. Truth be told I think Rozee is a better candidate right now anyway.

I don't like the idea of handing over the captaincy to someone as a placeholder, re: Wines

If they are a bit younger they can grow into the role. Butters feels a bit more old school/Tim Ginever/Sam Mitchell type and I would support that.

The club should have a good idea on who they think can handle the extra responsibility whether Rozee or Butters.

Not sure Houston as a HBF is where you want your captain playing. Same issue as Jonas.

No to Houston, he still gets a bit ruffled on the field when the umps are giving him a hard time.

So Butters or Rozee, look to the next 5-8 years.

I'd be happy with either Rozee or Butters but would prefer Rozee.

I really don't want Wines but I have a feeling that he will get it.
we've been down this track of a bloke who at some stage will struggle to hold his spot, we don't need to be doing it again.

we need a captain who stands up in big games and leads from the front, that's certainly not wines, has to be butters, i can see him taking the challenge on ala bont and elevating his status in the game even higher

its the young blokes team now, lets get them in charge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be Wines, but I'd go:

Connor (C)
Zak (VC)

Would be the easiest decision the club would ever have to make.

Connor will be 24 and have played 100 games, if he's not ready now he never will be. If we are worried it might burden him, he might not be the player we think he is.

we've been down this track of a bloke who at some stage will struggle to hold his spot, we don't need to be doing it again.

we need a captain who stands up in big games and leads from the front, that's certainly not wines, has to be butters, i can see him taking the challenge on ala bont and elevating his status in the game even higher

its the young blokes team now, lets get them in charge.
The Ken Hinkley Footy Club is very traditional and for the boys and being a good bloke and he deserves it, everything via osmosis, etc, so on the form of how the club operates at the moment, you would say Wines in a landslide. What a great story of the country bloke giving another country bloke the captaincy.

But a leadership group of Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis and Houston would mean we wouldn't have the calamitous year of having our captain play in the Magoos. These 4 blokes are the guys who have and are taking us to the next level. They are the reason on the field we are winning. They are all pretty much in the midfield. They lead by example in the midfield. All 4 are elite or moving in that direction. They all play hard. A couple of them are demanding better decisions on the ground.

It really is obvious but only to a sane man.

the fact that Jonas wasnt sacked after 2021 is an absolute joke, along with that they still went again with him even after watching all through 2022 that Jonas was cooked, it boggles the mind that people that claim to have a football brain and lead the club didnt or couldnt see this.

The guy that will be captain will be whoever is the biggest Hinkley brownoser at the club, and Hinkley knows who exactly that is and will make sure thats the guy (ollie Wines)

Ollie Wines hasnt got a once of leadership quality about him, i though he shouldnt have been captain prior to 2019 and there is nothing since then that tells me he's leadership material.

The guy i would make captain at the moment would most probably be spp, but im afraid he's being sucked into the Hinkley utopia garbage and doesnt have the balls to lead himself

The guy i think would make the best captain is jhf, he's not ready yet but maybe in 2 years time. He would polarise some players but he would most probably win you a premiership with those who are willing to follow.

None of it really matters at the moment while donuts is still in charge, ill worry about these trivial matters after that garrulous ommission is gone.

Wines doesn't make sense on any level to me, Sam Powell-Pepper has more of a claim.

the actual obvious standout is Rozee. we better have a nice normal leadership group entirely consisting of Rozee, Butters and Houston, or whoever exactly is most suited.

but the club will do this: C Wines, VC Rozee, LeaderShip grOUP: Dixon, Aliir, Byrne-Jones, Butters, Houston, Powell-Pepper, Mark Williams, A Cat, A Bottle of Milk, Tom Jonas

Ollie Wines. Too bigger risk of Butter's or Rozee's performance dropping off with captain responsibilities which we can't afford. Surely Ollie is as ready as he'll ever be, if he wants it.

Yes, historically that has been a real issue for us. Rarely has one of our Captains lifted in form after being awarded the Captaincy and about the only exception is Matty Primus but he took over and was injured soon after. On that basis I would let Butters, Rozee and Houston continue doing what they do best without the Captaincy getting in the road.

On that basis it has to be Wines.

If it is going to be Wines then i don't really understand why they wouldn't have already made that move for this year. I think the fact they left Jonas in charge for one year too many is because they were waiting for a couple younger leaders to emerge and Rozee & Butters certainly have.

Yes, historically that has been a real issue for us. Rarely has one of our Captains lifted in form after being awarded the Captaincy and about the only exception is Matty Primus but he took over and was injured soon after. On that basis I would let Butters, Rozee and Houston continue doing what they do best without the Captaincy getting in the road.

On that basis it has to be Wines.
Boak lifted in form. His first 2-3 years as captain were excellent.

Boak lifted in form. His first 2-3 years as captain were excellent.
True, but then his form fell away although in fairness that may have been due to Hinkley trying to make him something he was not. That said I would still leave Butters and co alone at this stage. Give them a year or two to consolidate their careers before offering the Captaincy. The offer of the Captaincy might also be used as a lure if one of them decides to go. If that ploy ever works of course.

Houston not mild or shy and def has leadership aspirations
Yeah some of the posts in here about Houston have me absolutely scratching my head. Have people been watching the same bloke?

I'd assumed that the arguments against Houston would be that he is too much of a loose cannon, yet some of these posts are arguing the exact opposite. Absolutely a leader and unlike Wines and Butters, he is in the perfect age bracket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Our Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back