News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting listening to AFL 360 tonight.
King and Montagna talking about the different scoring 'profiles' of the top 8
Focussing on scoring differential from stoppages and from turnover.

Clearly highlighting that scoring differential from turnover is the most important factor in the game. I imagine we're right down the bottom of that ladder.

St Kilda only conceded 1 goal from centre square stoppage in the past 6 weeks. Wow, can you imagine.

Clearly highlights that our game plan was just so stubbornly outdated

Interesting listening to AFL 360 tonight.
King and Montagna talking about the different scoring 'profiles' of the top 8
Focussing on scoring differential from stoppages and from turnover.

Clearly highlighting that scoring differential from turnover is the most important factor in the game. I imagine we're right down the bottom of that ladder.

St Kilda only conceded 1 goal from centre square stoppage in the past 6 weeks. Wow, can you imagine.

Clearly highlights that our game plan was just so stubbornly outdated
Combination of game plan and also personnel. We seem to lack run and dash, as well as an array of elite users. On top of this, our inside 50 entries have been poor for a long time. So any rebounds do we get just rebound back anyway.

This is especially damming considering our intercept marking is quite strong in Ballard and Andrew, plus Powell. So we should be getting more reward for that.

But I have noticed a bit more dare the last month, so it is something that we can change and work towards for sure. Seems to be lots more handballs and running.

Hopefully we keep playing around with our wingers and forward line to get the best combination.

Think we need to cash in while the hype is there but prestia not required especially if it's true that Flanders has re committed.
This feels imperative to me. We can't guarantee that we'll be playing finals next year so this could be the best chance we have to land a big fish for a few years so why not take full advantage of the Dimma mystique. The unknown actually plays in our favour here because there's an assumption that Dimma will figure it out and we'll be a good team next year so you want to strike now while the iron is hot instead of having an average season next year in 2024 and losing momentum. I must say with all the positivity and hype surrounding us, I'd be disappointed if the best we could get is an injury prone Prestia in his 30s.

Has it been announced what Steven King is doing for 2024?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the Sydney game… halftime they were talking about how invaluable buddy has been to Sydney’s up and coming Forwards.
Loved helping the younger guys learn there craft.
And the players loved every minute being taught the finer details by one of the best forwards of the VFL/AFL history.

If we can bring him in next year 🙌🏽

Do we know much about Hayden Hill? Obviously he and Dimma work well together when you consider they won 89 of 137 (65%) home and away games and 10 of 13 (77%) finals matches since 2017. For context, Melbourne have a winning percentage of 68.5% this season and they are comfortably inside the top 4 so if we can get that winning percentage around the 70% mark or higher then we're going to be genuinely competing for the flag. Assuming a team wins all 11 home games in a season, you still need to find at least 5 away wins to get that winning percentage into the 70% range so that's an area we clearly need to get better at considering we only had 2 away wins this season.

I'd imagine part of Hill's role will be analysing trends at individual grounds and Hardwick/Hill have a really strong record at Carrara winning 11 of 13 (84.6%) games played there so I'd imagine they would already have a fair bit of intel on improving our home record. Probably the one concerning stat would be Dimma's hatred for the conditions at Marvel Stadium but it's an area we simply have to get better in if we want to play finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back