AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez aflw is a great day out. Everyone just happy to be at the footy, not too many negative people, no pressure, short beer lines, men's toilets utilised well below capacity.

It's like footy with almost all the d*heads filtered out

It's just a fun atmosphere

I've barely missed a home match since they started - thinking our last match before covid shut the season was the last home match missed

And in a couple of weeks I'll be heading down to Warrnambool - making a long weekend of things with a mini break after a crazy time at work this last month

It's just a fun atmosphere

I've barely missed a home match since they started - thinking our last match before covid shut the season was the last home match missed

And in a couple of weeks I'll be heading down to Warrnambool - making a long weekend of things with a mini break after a crazy time at work this last month
There was pretty decent representation from cats fans today too. Was great. Kids loved it

11.4 to 5.12

Port had more scoring shots, but good kicking is good football.

We were a little disappointing late in a way tbh - took the foot off the pedal, but also, Port lifted; saw Erin Phillips tangle with Amy McDonald at one point; they were revved up. Houghton is one of my favourite non-Geelong AFLW players, I liked her at Freo. First time I've seen her play in a while, she seems to have bulked up a little bit - still a very dangerous forward.

I think we could have found another gear had we been seriously pushed on the scoreboard, but Port never seriously challenged.

She's been an exemplary Captain for the Geelong Football Club; absolutely love the way she applies herself, plus she speaks really well and comes across as a genuine leader.

Worth recalling that she played a couple of games with the Bulldogs in the league's inaugural season before she was delisted and subsequently picked up by the Cats.

She has been an absolute stalwart down back for Geelong; she has her shakey moments here and there but overall Meg McDonald has been resolute and played a pivotal role in the women's team's development.

I think that with Julia Crockett-Grills suspension Meg Mac will also draw level or maybe surpass her as #1 games played with Geelong.

I'm a massive fan of what she has done in the hoops.

Congratulations Erin Hoare on her first mark of the season.

These are the career averages of someone who was a 3 time All-Australian AFL ruckman. Doesn't seem marks are the be-all and end-all for ruckmen.

1695539722596.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong v Port Adelaide​

8 Nina Morrison (Geel)
7 Gemma Houghton (Port)
6 Chloe Scheer (Geel)
5 Amy McDonald (Geel)
2 Rebecca Webster (Geel)
2 Georgie Prespakis (Geel)

Leaderboard​

37 Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
31 Monique Conti (RICH)
30 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
29 Tyla Hanks (MELB)
26 Kate Hore (MELB)
25 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
25 Charlie Rowbottom (GCFC)
25 Claudia Whitfort (GCFC)
22 Bonnie Toogood (ESS)
21 Ally Anderson (BL)
21 Ally Morphett (SYD)
21 Madison Prespakis (ESS)
20 Alyce Parker (GWS)
19 Georgie Prespakis (GEEL)
18 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
18 Nina Morrison (GEEL)
18 Ashleigh Riddell (NMFC)
16 Emily Bates (HAW)
16 Katie Brennan (RICH)
16 Jaimee Lambert (STK)
16 Chloe Scheer (GEEL)

Geelong v Port Adelaide​

8 Nina Morrison (Geel)
7 Gemma Houghton (Port)
6 Chloe Scheer (Geel)
5 Amy McDonald (Geel)
2 Rebecca Webster (Geel)
2 Georgie Prespakis (Geel)

Leaderboard​

37 Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
31 Monique Conti (RICH)
30 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
29 Tyla Hanks (MELB)
26 Kate Hore (MELB)
25 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
25 Charlie Rowbottom (GCFC)
25 Claudia Whitfort (GCFC)
22 Bonnie Toogood (ESS)
21 Ally Anderson (BL)
21 Ally Morphett (SYD)
21 Madison Prespakis (ESS)
20 Alyce Parker (GWS)
19 Georgie Prespakis (GEEL)
18 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
18 Nina Morrison (GEEL)
18 Ashleigh Riddell (NMFC)
16 Emily Bates (HAW)
16 Katie Brennan (RICH)
16 Jaimee Lambert (STK)
16 Chloe Scheer (GEEL)

Laura Gardiner having a huge season.

Some great names on that leaderboard, the comp has some great top end talent when you look through that list.

Confirmation of a suspension from our clash with Port:

PORT Adelaide key forward Ashleigh Saint has been handed a one match ban by the Match Review Officer for a rough conduct offence.

Saint's attack on Geelong's Claudia Gunjaca was judged as being careless conduct, medium impact and high contact, drawing the penalty.

The suspension will see Saint miss the Power's clash against West Coast on Friday evening.

Other judgements from the MRO included financial penalties against Collingwood's Stacey Livingstone ($400) for tripping, and Western Bulldogs duo Ellie Blackburn ($400 for tripping) and Kirsty Lamb ($600 for rough conduct).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back