Sydney v Geelong​

10 Chloe Scheer (GEEL)
8 Nina Morrison (GEEL)
6 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
2 Jacqueline Parry (GEEL)
2 Amy McDonald (GEEL)
1 Aliesha Newman (SYD)
1 Chloe Molloy (SYD)
Is that a mistake? I thought Gardiner played for Geelong.

Nope, she switched across to the Swans for more game time. Felt she was stuck in the VFL-AFL loop.

I don't remember her playing as well at the Cats as she has in her first two games for the Swans.
Didn't she have a streak of massive disposal games in the VFL?

I think so, but it never seemed to translate into AFLW form.

Don't get me wrong - she had some good games for us, but she's really started this year with a bang. Her two highest disposal games (and most against us - 26 - by some margin) and been 100+ fantasy points in both (whether that counts for anything, but still higher than any game for us).

I think so, but it never seemed to translate into AFLW form.

Don't get me wrong - she had some good games for us, but she's really started this year with a bang. Her two highest disposal games (and most against us - 26 - by some margin) and been 100+ fantasy points in both (whether that counts for anything, but still higher than any game for us).

I was disappointed to see her go, I suspected she would turn out to be a good player - wasn't getting the opportunities with us so I wish her the best.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how Olivia Barber is going? I was gutted when we lost her, but the loss was never really felt because our forward line improved right after she left (not saying there is a correlation necessarily ..)

She was absolutely dominant in our VFLW team, but think that then struggled to translate to our AFLW team, especially with the midfield group we have at that level - she was cleary the focal point of our VFLW midfield, but didn’t exactly slot into a similar role at AFLW level, so the idea of the right player, just the wrong timing though

At AFLW level she had Prespakis, Morrison & A. McDonald as our key midfield trio, so Laura was then competing with players like Webster who maybe not as polished but with an extra 7cm height is more of a big bodied mid, while Crockett-Grills offers a bit of grunt, and this year it’s D. Moloney who’s getting a bit more midfield time

If Gardner was still on our list, she’d be in our best 21 but more as a 4th midfielder rather than as a leader in the Swans midfield

She showed at VFLW that she earnt the opportunity for a bigger role at AFLW level and it’s good to see her get that opportunity

I was disappointed to see her go, I suspected she would turn out to be a good player - wasn't getting the opportunities with us so I wish her the best.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how Olivia Barber is going? I was gutted when we lost her, but the loss was never really felt because our forward line improved right after she left (not saying there is a correlation necessarily ..)

Barber played 4 games last season for Collingwood, kicking just the 2 goals and hasn’t played yet this season - I wonder if they are going to look at turning Barber into a defender, because as a forward she’s never really had that dominant sort of game, nor really shown an ability to compete with top line rucks

1694432840709.png

Barber played 4 games last season for Collingwood, kicking just the 2 goals and hasn’t played yet this season - I wonder if they are going to look at turning Barber into a defender, because as a forward she’s never really had that dominant sort of game, nor really shown an ability to compete with top line rucks

View attachment 1800402

She seemed such a big loss when she defected and we were still relying on Phoebe McWilliams as our main target up forward. Seems a long time ago now.

She was absolutely dominant in our VFLW team, but think that then struggled to translate to our AFLW team, especially with the midfield group we have at that level - she was cleary the focal point of our VFLW midfield, but didn’t exactly slot into a similar role at AFLW level, so the idea of the right player, just the wrong timing though

At AFLW level she had Prespakis, Morrison & A. McDonald as our key midfield trio, so Laura was then competing with players like Webster who maybe not as polished but with an extra 7cm height is more of a big bodied mid, while Crockett-Grills offers a bit of grunt, and this year it’s D. Moloney who’s getting a bit more midfield time

If Gardner was still on our list, she’d be in our best 21 but more as a 4th midfielder rather than as a leader in the Swans midfield

She showed at VFLW that she earnt the opportunity for a bigger role at AFLW level and it’s good to see her get that opportunity

The biggest issue with Gardiner for me, is she is such a slow decision maker. By the the time she figures at what she wants to do, she’s put herself under the pump and her disposal becomes erratic. That split second less in the AFLW over the VFLW hurts her game big time. It was there to see on the weekend as well. She’s a great accumulator, one of the best, but she isn’t damaging enough with ball in hand considering how easily she can find the pill.
As you said, considering how deep we bat in the midfield now, I don’t think Geelong were at all bothered letting her go.

Round 3: Geelong vs North
Geelong has made just one change ahead of Friday night’s clash against North Melbourne, with Olivia Fuller entering the team for the first time this year.

The athletic utility featured in every game last season for the Cats, adding some height to the Geelong line-up and will look to provide support to Erin Hoare in the ruck.

Abbey McDonald makes way for Fuller, following an impressive opening two games of her AFLW career.

Fuller’s inclusion marks the first change to the Cats team this season, with the club enjoying a settled start during their opening two wins in 2023.

Coming off a strong 27 point win against Sydney, the Cats will host the undefeated Kangaroos at GMHBA Stadium on Friday night.

The match will be streamed on the official AFLW App and website, while also being broadcast on Fox Footy and Kayo. First bounce is at 5:05pm AEST. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

Round 3 AFLW Team​

In: Olivia Fuller
Out: Abbey McDonald

Backs26. Claudia Gunjaca22. Rachel Kearns
Half-Backs16. Chantel Emonson11. Meghan McDonald (C)10. Georgie Rankin
Centreline9. Nina Morrison (VC)41. Georgie Prespakis1. Mikayla Bowen
Half-Forwards5. Jackie Parry8. Kate Darby7. Kate Surman
Forwards45. Aishling Moloney14. Chloe Scheer
Followers46. Erin Hoare3. Amy McDonald4. Darcy Moloney
Interchange44. Melissa Bragg6. Julia Crockett-Grills12. Renee Garing
20. Zali Friswell13. Olivia Fuller
Emergencies39. Abbey McDonald19. Brooke Plummer31. Ingrid Houtsma

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong has made just one change ahead of Friday night’s clash against North Melbourne, with Olivia Fuller entering the team for the first time this year.

The athletic utility featured in every game last season for the Cats, adding some height to the Geelong line-up and will look to provide support to Erin Hoare in the ruck.

Abbey McDonald makes way for Fuller, following an impressive opening two games of her AFLW career.

Fuller’s inclusion marks the first change to the Cats team this season, with the club enjoying a settled start during their opening two wins in 2023.

Coming off a strong 27 point win against Sydney, the Cats will host the undefeated Kangaroos at GMHBA Stadium on Friday night.

The match will be streamed on the official AFLW App and website, while also being broadcast on Fox Footy and Kayo. First bounce is at 5:05pm AEST. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

Round 3 AFLW Team​

In: Olivia Fuller
Out: Abbey McDonald

Backs26. Claudia Gunjaca22. Rachel Kearns
Half-Backs16. Chantel Emonson11. Meghan McDonald (C)10. Georgie Rankin
Centreline9. Nina Morrison (VC)41. Georgie Prespakis1. Mikayla Bowen
Half-Forwards5. Jackie Parry8. Kate Darby7. Kate Surman
Forwards45. Aishling Moloney14. Chloe Scheer
Followers46. Erin Hoare3. Amy McDonald4. Darcy Moloney
Interchange44. Melissa Bragg6. Julia Crockett-Grills12. Renee Garing
20. Zali Friswell13. Olivia Fuller
Emergencies39. Abbey McDonald19. Brooke Plummer31. Ingrid Houtsma
interesting after Melissa Bragg didn't record any stat at all that she got another game considering the coaching team clearly wasn't keen on her considering the low game time

interesting after Melissa Bragg didn't record any stat at all that she got another game considering the coaching team clearly wasn't keen on her considering the low game time

Horses for courses selection.
With the number of quality talls North have in the ruck and up forward, Bragg is going to be needed to nullify one of Randall, King or Shierlaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back