List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have a link to the article? I can't find anything on Google or the AFL website. Not doubting you, just trying to find the article you referenced.
From the article below:

"For instance, it would have allowed Adelaide to list one of Rory Sloane or Taylor Walker as a veteran for 2024 and opened up another spot on their primary list. The idea was designed to keep veterans in the game without sacrificing a list spot that a youngster may have taken, with the veteran’s full payments still counted in the salary cap."

There's a link in the post above

Then we can just delist Ned and swap one depth option with another. Borlase is at least depth for a role that were presently a little light on for numbers.
Amen to that. Borlase serves a much more important role (esp with the injuries we have had to our KPD stock and the loss of Deodee) than a guy thats competing with a dozen others

I assume he has. Why wouldn't he have? Managers do most of the actual trades.

What then, though?

You offer $1.2m to someone - that's maybe $200k more than their own club would offer them. That becomes $100k after tax, then management fees, costs of relocating etc.

Money really only makes decision-making sense to those players who aren't guns yet but could become it, and their club isn't willing to throw out their salary cap in case it doesn't happen. Like Zac Williams or Charlie Cameron.

Or Jordan Dawson , Harrison Petty and Izak Rankine. Got to get in early and take a punt on guys before they fully break out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Here's a salary cap loophole that I'm not sure if anyone has tried to exploit yet
  1. Sign a gun player to a $7.5 million deal over 6 years
  2. Pay them $900k per year for the first 5 years
  3. In the final year of their contract, they are owed $3 million backended
  4. One year before going out of contract, re-sign the player for a further 38 years, but spread out the $3 million payment over 38 years
  5. Transfer the player to the rookie list where $80k of their salary sits outside the cap
  6. Pay off $3 million fully outside the cap via rookie payments over 38 years
  7. As the rookie payment outside the cap increases over the years, gradually re-contract the player to shorten the payback period
can i have your phone number i need financial advice and i would trust your logic more than any financial planner. thats seriously the most creative thing i have heard for a long long time 🤣

Then we can just delist Ned and swap one depth option with another. Borlase is at least depth for a role that we're presently a little light on for numbers.
im all for delisting ned but given hamills injury history he would be delisted before ned. then ned.

I have this sinking feeling Nankervis is in for the Worrell treatment. Nank should be starting 22 going forward but doesn’t make the emergency list according to afl.com

I fear the AFC will see it the same way despite Nank being best 22 IMO

I have this sinking feeling Nankervis is in for the Worrell treatment. Nank should be starting 22 going forward but doesn’t make the emergency list according to afl.com

I fear the AFC will see it the same way despite Nank being best 22 IMO
Yep

This above all else holds us back

We are really close to being good imho

Identification of players is good, development has been bolstered.

But we don't quite fully trust them

We'll put young mids in the team (look how young our 22 is!) but only on the half forward flank

We know Nankervis has something but we'll only play him if there's an injury in his exact position. We won't squeeze a mid-range, low ceiling player out of the 22 to get him in.

It's this gentle handbrake that is constantly applied to almost every decision we make. A handbrake that is essentially driven by fear.

It's the final hurdle for us to overcome and it's 100% on the coaches & selectors. It's fully within our control.

Yep

We'll put young mids in the team (look how young our 22 is!) but only on the half forward flank

We know Nankervis has something but we'll only play him if there's an injury in his exact position. We won't squeeze a mid-range, low ceiling player out of the 22 to get him in.

It's this gentle handbrake that is constantly applied to almost every decision we make. A handbrake that is essentially driven by fear.

It's the final hurdle for us to overcome and it's 100% on the coaches & selectors. It's fully within our control.
Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Yep

In political terms the Crows are the National Party.
Driven by fear, irrationally conservative.

Unfortunately Ned is contracted until 24.
The writing is on the wall though and he knows that..

I would delist Ned in 12 months but he might be saved by others.

Assuming Berry, Pedlar, Hinge and Keys all sign extensions and no one request a trade

The below are almost certain to come off the list.
Hamill
Himmelberg (trade/delist)
Bond
Sloane

Maybe one of Tex and Smith retire

That would mean probably only two of the below would be moved on. That's assuming no one requests a trade.

Sholl
Gollant
Cook
McHenry
Parnell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Berry, Pedlar, Hinge and Keys all sign extensions and no one request a trade

Hamill
Bond
Sloane

That would mean probably only two of the below would be moved on. That's assuming no one requests a trade.

Sholl
Gollant
Cook
McHenry
Parnell
Fair call. However he's definitely on the delist for me no matter the outcome of those other players you mentioned.
Out of those names you posted, I hope that Berry can find some form next year. His early signs looked promising.
Hopefully he just had an off year.

Hamill
Bond
Sloane

Sholl
Gollant
Cook
McHenry
Parnell
Can't put Bond in definitely delisted.
McHenry, Sholl and Parnell more likely to go in my opinion if Bond actually shows something. We've seen what McHenry, Sholl and Parnell can do and it's not looking likely they make it long term.

Sure. I'm the nutter.
GIF by MOODMAN

Yep

Hardwick said in the last day or 2 that 80% of a premiership team was already on GC roster

Regardless of whether that’s true (it probably is) but the principle is what matters

That 80% includes organic develop to come in future years

So what about the remaining 20% - how do you get it?

Your list build is not improved by sitting out an entire year and coming home empty handed from the trade period; and having a whole year to wait.

Big swings and striking out doesn’t improve the 20%

All teams need to fill out what the draft doesn’t/can’t give them

Our conservatism doesn’t limit itself to selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back