List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have a link to the article? I can't find anything on Google or the AFL website. Not doubting you, just trying to find the article you referenced.
From the article below:

"For instance, it would have allowed Adelaide to list one of Rory Sloane or Taylor Walker as a veteran for 2024 and opened up another spot on their primary list. The idea was designed to keep veterans in the game without sacrificing a list spot that a youngster may have taken, with the veteran’s full payments still counted in the salary cap."

There's a link in the post above

Can't see Hughey moving from the Lions, and if he did I'm not seeing a non Victorian team as his want.

RFA as well not a FA.
I think you're probably right.

Given the Oliver option this year you'd think we have a sizable budget to spend.
To get that midfielder we are after though, would probably require us to target a contracted player and kiss goodbye any chance at Draper or Hargrave.

I think we've done a fair bit of ground work with Petty so maybe he might be more insistent wanting out next year?
Fair chance.

But I would prefer us to be spending $1m on a gun midfielder as clearly our greatest priority.

Fair chance.

But I would prefer us to be spending $1m on a gun midfielder as clearly our greatest priority.
Callaghan and LDU is who I think make sense.
Out of contract in 2025.

Which one makes more sense to us as we move into the window in 2025?
LDU obviously more mature, but something about Callaghan - could be a top 5 league mid.

Callaghan and LDU is who I think make sense.
Out of contract in 2025.

Which one makes more sense to us as we move into the window in 2025?
LDU obviously more mature, but something about Callaghan - could be a top 5 league mid.
Honestly would be happier with either.

However, LDU a better fit.

Honestly would be happier with either.

However, LDU a better fit.
Checking their age and games played you'd think so.
By 2025 LDU will be 26 and 100 plus games.
Callahan 22 and 45 games.

I hope we are already talking to either players manager as now is the time to plant the seed.
If Callagahan explodes next year I would be tempted to throw a million dollar deal his way.

Checking their age and games played you'd think so.
By 2025 LDU will be 26 and 100 plus games.
Callahan 22 and 45 games.

I hope we are already talking to either players manager as now is the time to plant the seed.
If Callagahan explodes next year I would be tempted to throw a million dollar deal his way.
If Reid was serious about his job, he would have gone to the player manager of every gun midfielder we potentially could shake loose & let them know we are willing to make a life changing long term deal. We have the cap space.

Isaac Cumming next off season

Here's a salary cap loophole that I'm not sure if anyone has tried to exploit yet
  1. Sign a gun player to a $7.5 million deal over 6 years
  2. Pay them $900k per year for the first 5 years
  3. In the final year of their contract, they are owed $3 million backended
  4. One year before going out of contract, re-sign the player for a further 38 years, but spread out the $3 million payment over 38 years
  5. Transfer the player to the rookie list where $80k of their salary sits outside the cap
  6. Pay off $3 million fully outside the cap via rookie payments over 38 years
  7. As the rookie payment outside the cap increases over the years, gradually re-contract the player to shorten the payback period

Ah I missed that interview. Wonder if Himmelberg appreciates a position change a year out from receiving a potential life line contract with GWS lol.
I'm fairly certain GWS wanted to bring him in as a replacement for Lachie Keefe, who plays that utility KPD/Ruck role anyway.

Here's a salary cap loophole that I'm not sure if anyone has tried to exploit yet
  4. One year before going out of contract, re-sign the player for a further 38 years, but spread out the $3 million payment over 38 years
  5. Transfer the player to the rookie list where $80k of their salary sits outside the cap
  7. As the rookie payment outside the cap increases over the years, gradually re-contract the player to shorten the payback period
Only Geelong could legitimately convince the AFL that a 65 year old will get a game for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't there a maximum rookie term?

Only Geelong could legitimately convince the AFL that a 65 year old will get a game for them.

Does a rookie player have to legitimately be capable of playing a game?

We've had Sam Shaw on the rookie list after he retired from concussion. It's the same principle extended for over 30 years

What if the player doesn't consent and wants the payout immediately?

You'd sign another/separate contract with the player that stipulates this re-contracting would occur to a set timeline with all the years for delistings and re-draftings and re-contractings laid out

You'd sign another/separate contract with the player that stipulates this re-contracting would occur to a set timeline with all the years for delistings and re-draftings and re-contractings laid out
Interested Thinking GIF by reactionseditor

As we saw when Sydney signed Franklin, the AFL is not afraid of changing the rules if they want to punish a club

There will be no Bobby Bonilla day in the AFL

As we saw when Sydney signed Franklin, the AFL is not afraid of changing the rules if they want to punish a club

There will be no Bobby Bonilla day in the AFL

Oh a non-Victorian club could never use my loophole. Collingwood or Geelong perhaps

Bobby Bonilla Likes This

I feel this is the deal Phil Harper took

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back