Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

On a side note, with The Wizard and The Duke in the side we are building some sort of Royal Court or a D&D troupe.

We need a few more nicknames to add to that.

Maybe Ginnivan can be the The Rogue.

"The Umpire pays head high tackle. Do you take a set shot, or play on?"

"I'll play on."

"Roll a D10."

"It's a 9."

"Nine. Let me see. Ah, yes! You duck under the defender's arm, and put the ball on your boot over your shoulder. The Goal Umpire does not move."

"Excellent!"

"No, wait. In the commentary box, BT mispronounces Luke Breust's name."

"In that case, instead of my usual goal celebration I will cast a spell. I will cast a Seven Year Mute spell."

"Roll two D10s"

"It's 19."

"BT is muted for the next 7 years. Your Reputation increases by 2 and your Charisma by 5"

Last edited:
"The Umpire pays head high tackle. Do you take a set shot, or play on?"

"I'll play on."

"Roll a D10."

"It's a 9."

"Nine. Let me see. Ah, yes! You duck under the defender's arm, and put the ball on your boot over your shoulder. The Goal Umpire does not move."

"Excellent!"

"No, wait. In the commentary box, BT mispronounces Luke Breust's name."

"In that case, instead of my usual goal celebration I will cast a spell. I will case a Seven Year Mute spell."

"Roll two D10s"

"It's 19."

"BT is muted for the next 7 years. Your Reputation increases by 2 and your Charisma by 5"
Huh???????

I could not be more ecstatic that we selected Nick Watson. Just a tremendous player that was too good to pass up. The definition of an electric, livewire small forward in every sense of the term. He has pace to burn, clean skills, etc. He can play all around the ground as well, so that should mean he'll be more than just a cherry picker up front. Also a natural talent. I love him. I can't wait to see him hold up the premiership cup in 2024... (in our dreams)

I reckon a more cogent point is that good teams have good lists, and good lists include good small forwards. If it was genuinely that much of a difference maker then it'd be hard to explain how in 2 of those years the team with the better small forwards lost - because Charlie Cameron and Tom Papley are respectively much better than Hill and Stengle.
But your “better” small fwds werent that on GF day. The teams with the better performed small fwds on the day won both GFs you have pointed to.

Hill - Norm Smith
Stengle votes from 3 of the 5 norm smith judges.

But your “better” small fwds werent that on GF day. The teams with the better performed small fwds on the day won both GFs you have pointed to.

Hill - Norm Smith
Stengle votes from 3 of the 5 norm smith judges
I agree, that's half the point. Not sure what you're arguing here.

Hill - Norm Smith
Stengle votes from 3 of the 5 norm smith judges.
Small forwards are especially reliant on the rest of the team playing well.

Papley and Cameron both had good games but the rest of their team didn’t play that well. The flow of the game isn’t something they can really change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^ He really is small compared to the other players :p

Yet some people are getting in a tizzy that his height gets chatted about - all the while 3 of his new teammates had to bend down to hug him.

Not the first to say it but the most exciting draftee since Cyril, who knows what he will become but he will sell tickets no doubt! Think i have watched his highlights about 30 times today alone. Bring on 2024!

Small forwards are especially reliant on the rest of the team playing well.

Papley and Cameron both had good games but the rest of their team didn’t play that well. The flow of the game isn’t something they can really change.
🎯🎯🎯

Not usually, unless you are Cyril.
It's a high bar.

We got him now and I'm very happy to have another elite talent.
We have probably added +80 goals to the team this trade/draft period.

Is there anyone that’s actually watched Watson that is complaining? I feel if you’re on the fence, watch his highlights, and hide your erection if you’re at work.

Pumped, elite talent in an area it’s rare to find elite talent in, and a real game changer.

Think Greene, Papley, Kosi.
Doesn’t that depend on where you work?

Is there anyone that’s actually watched Watson that is complaining? I feel if you’re on the fence, watch his highlights, and hide your erection if you’re at work.

Pumped, elite talent in an area it’s rare to find elite talent in, and a real game changer.

Think Greene, Papley, Kosi.
Really hope he can model his game on Papley! See a lot of similar traits and if he can be as damaging with stints in the middle then even better!

I’ll say this again, Watson’s lack of height is an advantage in the world of bigger players.
He plays low to the ground and fast through the contest… and will be poorly tackled.
20 fairly gained goals right there! Put on his separation from his defender… another 20 goals.
and the pickup from a pack… another 15 goals.
and his own marks… another 10.

OK I am over reaching... probably. But there was a reason he topped the goals scored at the level.

Every time he was in the area of a game, he made suff happen. Twomey called him the Wizard for a reason. He always makes something amazing happen.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back