Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Whilst nothing matched his 2000 season, it's just that Freo is "off broadway" that creates that perception, especially back in the day (when coverage was more limited). Farmer had 3 seasons in his career of 50+ goals - and two of them were at Fremantle.

He got more of the ball at Freo and upped his tackling considerably. His goal average was a little higher at Melbourne but not enough to suggest he lost his way at Freo (2.2. vs 1.71).

It was really that 2000 season where he was absolutely ridiculous (76 goals, that crazy game he kicked 9 in a half standing on heads, kicked 8 in a Prelim, 7 against us, etc) that set the bar of expectation for him through the proverbial roof (he kicked 7+ goals 6 times in his career and 5 of those times were all in 2000). The thing is, none of his other 6 years at Melbourne came close to matching that crazy year he had.
Everything you say is true but his highlight reel from his demon days is better than the freo days. Was just a bit quicker and more spring heeled. Awesome player who i loved to watch.

I was a fence sitter regarding us drafting the Wiz.
I was hoping for Duursma.
I'm warming more and more to the selection.
This kid is CONFIDENT!!

I watched a Youtube video recently of him and Harley Reid going head-to-head with goal kicking drills in the forward line.
He called it before they started, that he would beat Harley, and he did.
There were some contested one on one plays in the video against some other kid from WA.

The Wiz thrashed him, made him look silly in fact.
His reaction time was so much quicker, and you could see how smart he was in a football sense.
Created separation and got to the best position, irrespective of where the ball was kicked.

This video goes for 20 minutes but it's a good watch.

He is equally confident about playing round 1.

I'm now excited and wouldn't swap him for Duursma.

Has a massive chip on his shoulder (in the best way possible) after hearing all his football life that he's too small. The kid runs on proving people wrong.

Exactly the kind of guy you want in your team when you're down a few goals at 3 quarter time in a big game.

Just something to ponder for you the Hawthorn faithful. Most recruiters and coaches feel that grabbing a player at the earliest possible opportunity is huge for a club and development going forward. Its why future picks were not really rated as draft capital this year. Why am i referring to this well we have a huge leg up on the rest of the draftees this year and their respective clubs. Nick has trained with us and our program the last two years in essence the Sam Mitchell tenure. He is already two years ahead of his counterparts. He knows our coach, our players and the way we play. The coach and the players know a lot more about his strengths and weaknesses. He is already familiar with everyone at the club including the trainers, strappers and doctors.

The wiz was the only selection you could say at pick 5 given his talents and the options available.

Everything you say is true but his highlight reel from his demon days is better than the freo days. Was just a bit quicker and more spring heeled. Awesome player who i loved to watch.

Agreed but you might be surprised how many of his famous highlights and famous games all came from one 'out of the box' season. People remember him as a dominant force who could do absolutely anything (especially standing on heads) and would tear games to shreds in a Melbourne jumper - which is all true but equally comes almost entirely from that crazy year he had.

Outside of that one crazy year, he was still a pretty good player who could do the mercurial and did so at similar proportions at both clubs. That one season skews perceptions/memories though as he went to a new level and was a human highlight reel.

Has a massive chip on his shoulder (in the best way possible) after hearing all his football life that he's too small. The kid runs on proving people wrong.

Exactly the kind of guy you want in your team when you're down a few goals at 3 quarter time in a big game.

Sounds exactly like our coach.

Agreed but you might be surprised how many of his famous highlights and famous games all came from one 'out of the box' season. People remember him as a dominant force who could do absolutely anything (especially standing on heads) and would tear games to shreds in a Melbourne jumper - which is all true but equally comes almost entirely from that crazy year he had.

Outside of that one crazy year, he was still a pretty good player who could do the mercurial and did so at similar proportions at both clubs. That one season skews perceptions/memories though as he went to a new level and was a human highlight reel.
I watched his highlights about two weeks ago so have a fair idea. He had already kicked 150 goals prior to his career year in 2000. Was already a star just became a superstar.

402386223_24642627235328659_8506860379547600668_n.jpg

Can we please hold fire on this topic and just enjoy the possibility of what he might be without putting a ceiling on him? Plenty of time for that later.

I can recommend this thread for a full discussion of height in the afl.

Edit: not trying to single you out. Just a general comment for everyone.
So you're saying there's a chance........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My view exactly after hearing his interviews. If he doesn’t work out it certainly won’t be for lack of will, and we can’t ask for more than that. Watson might drive Ginnivan on too by just by the example he sets.

Slightly off topic but I watched the one he did with Schoenmaker and yeah the kid is a bully, can see how there are huge concerns over his personality and if he can fit in at AFL level.
Really you got all that of one short clip? Schoenmakers was just wanting to be one of the boys and go drinking! Nothing more or less…. An he paid for that behaviour, almost fell out of the draft completely

Ginnivan seems wrapt. "I'll get the second best small defender now" (for the next 10 years)
Ginnivan
Ginnivan seems wrapt. "I'll get the second best small defender now" (for the next 10 years)
Ginnivan is going to have to work hard just to get a spot.
Breust and Moore already ahead of him. I expect the Wiz might also be ahead of him by round 1.
I can't see us playing 4 small forwards.

Ginnivan

Breust and Moore already ahead of him. I expect the Wiz might also be ahead of him by round 1.

they're all in barring injury.

moore not a sml fwd

Moore isn't a small forward, he's a HFF that pushes up the ground and stretches opposition zones.
Breust is aging and could easily drop off a cliff.
Watson isn't just a small forward, he will spend time cross halfback and half forward.

Good teams need 3 small forwards which is exactly what we will have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back