Discussion Saints drinks

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes I hope u get knocked the * out in your fights lol
Gonna have to catch me first šŸ˜Ž

bh187-jim-carrey.gif

Hey all,
I can tidy up a bunch of this discussion on making booze as Iā€™m the head distiller for a pretty well known brand and have been doing it for 15+ years.

Firstly, DONā€™T DISTIL FERMENTED FRUIT JUICE!!!!! Anything with pectin in it produces lots of methanol and itā€™s how people die or go blind. Best case you end up with an awful hangover. They often also have sulphur to preserve them that can make some people pretty sick when you do your first cut as well.

Buying 3rd party alcohol to make gin is standard practice throughout the industry both domesticity and internationally. Basically it costs lots of money to ferment and distill the spirit until itā€™s pretty much neutral in flavour so almost everyone buys it in. You can then put the neutral spirit into your still and add botanicals into either the pot or basket to get the flavour to form the gin.

There are definitely people out there adding essences to neutral spirit without them doing a distillation but their product generally sucks. They tend to taste alcoholy if that makes sense.

Generally the regulation in Australia are pretty good without being overly tight in my opinion for gin, rum and whisky. Whisky is the tightest, rum a little looser and gin probably need to be tightened.
I think they all become tighter over the next decade or so, but personally I donā€™t think thatā€™s a good thing (devils in the detail and wonā€™t lead to better outcomes for consumers. Donā€™t ask, itā€™s complex).

Anyway, good booze is the stuff that makes you happy!

Thanks for the info. So Gin basically skips the fermentation process?
And no i was not going to drink or distil fermented fruit juice, but i know someone who drinks fermented fruit juice and i doubt i can change their mind.

Thanks for the info. So Gin basically skips the fermentation process?
And no i was not going to drink or distil fermented fruit juice, but i know someone who drinks fermented fruit juice and i doubt i can change their mind

All alcohol for drinking comes from fermentation and all spirits from fermentation then distillation. So gin is still fermented and distilledā€¦. Maybe the best way to think about it is that alcohol for the ā€œgin base spiritā€ is outsourced to mega distillery plants that can do it to a high standard and very cheaply.

There are heaps of these alcohol products making ethanol for a variety of industries. Common in Australia is spirit made from grapes and sugarcane.

All alcohol for drinking comes from fermentation and all spirits from fermentation then distillation. So gin is still fermented and distilledā€¦. Maybe the best way to think about it is that alcohol for the ā€œgin base spiritā€ is outsourced to mega distillery plants that can do it to a high standard and very cheaply.

There are heaps of these alcohol products making ethanol for a variety of industries. Common in Australia is spirit made from grapes and sugarcane.

Sorry I meant that Gin producers don't need to ferment anything. So i guess that's a yes.
So they have this high grade alcohol, do they then just expose it to the items for infusion, and distill it again?

Sorry I meant that Gin producers don't need to ferment anything. So i guess that's a yes.
So they have this high grade alcohol, do they then just expose it to the items for infusion, and distill it again?
There are two ways itā€™s doneā€¦. Letā€™s say a proper way and not.

The not proper way: they buy in flavours from flavour house (companies that make flavours for food and bev) and add them to the base spirit. There is no distillation in this method. Itā€™s more common then youā€™d like to think and not just in Aus but internationally and at all levels, brands big and small.

The proper way involves doing actual distillation to impart the botanical flavours into the gin. You can think of a still as a big kettle where you capture, cool and collect the vapour. If you put botanicals either in the liquid at the bottom or let the vapour flow past them then the oils in the botanicals get vaporised as well.

Thatā€™s kinda how it works if that makes sense. Generally thatā€™s why things with oil like citrus distill so well.

Bit of extra infoā€¦.. you can make gin properly (aka with distillation) with two methods. Most common is call ā€œsingle shotā€ where all the botanicals are put into the still together and out comes the compete gin. The other is called ā€œcompoundā€ where each botanical is distilled separately into essences and then blended together to form the gin.

Alexander The Great had red hair too šŸ„°
I'm actually light brown but if I grow it the quarter Scot comes out and it goes a bit auburn. Hate it tbh but the fade makes me cum šŸ’¦

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually light brown but if I grow it the quarter Scot comes out and it goes a bit auburn. Hate it tbh but the fade makes me cum šŸ’¦
So what youā€™re saying is, you have ginger pubes.

Had some of this gear in Port Macquarie the other night $250 a shot. Want all that impressed.
Not trying to big note myself. My mate paid. He can afford it.

View attachment 1876553
Always found it a law of diminishing returns with high end alcohol. Things can only taste so good lol

Last edited:
Just on the plane flying home to Isa from Bris and someoneā€™s dropped their guts. Itā€™s like one of those demons who should be sitting out on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Saints drinks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back